I'm really torn between the two & I don't know which one to pick.
    On cnet.com it saids "its a good smartphone for the first time users" for the palm centro.

Which one should I get?

Do they both have the same software?

If you had used the palm centro before, which one would you get?

& please dont be bias
    09-24-08 06:23 PM
    Well without you providing any info on what it you are looking to do with the devices I will say Curve. With this being a large group of BB users, I think we are going to be a little biases.
    09-24-08 06:27 PM
    They are two totally different phones. And this is the wrong place to ask a question like that. We are all blackberry addicts. lol. The blackberry is a much better phone not being bias. The centro is more of a play phone vs the blackberry being more for the professional world.. but its fun as well
    09-24-08 06:28 PM
    are you kidding? unless you can type with your pinkys curve is the way to go...
    09-24-08 06:28 PM
    I was a palm user for many years before I switched to BlackBerry. The palm software is extremely friendly and very customizable, at least more than the BlackBerry. However, Treo and Centro devices are very poor in screen resolution and battery life. I also had a major issue with the phone freezing and restarting all the time.

BlackBerry devices have their issues as well, but not as bad as palm.

I was a loyal palm user, but the problem is that the company is not keeping up with the competition (BlackBerry and iPhone).

I moved from Treo>Centro>8800>Curve>Bold.

Hope this helps you with the decision.
    09-24-08 06:31 PM
    Palm and BB use totally different software, although you can find some apps for both that do similar things. Depends what you are looking for though, otherwise it's kinda hard to answer.

I've had both and I like the curve a lot better, but it all depends what you need.

If you want touchscreen, only the Centro has that.
    If the BB data plan will increase your monthly costs, then that's a factor in the Centro's favor.
    I like the Curve trackball a lot better than the Centro dpad.
    Blackberry email works better than Palm Versamail for sure.
    Palm has better threaded SMS than BB.
    BB Curve can multitask, Palm OS does not.
    BB Curve keyboard is a lot better.
    BB Curve looks better imo, but Centro is smaller.
    Palm apps tend to be cheaper than BB apps in a lot of cases.
    Palm sucks worse at support and updates than RIM does.
    Opera Mini is more stable on BB than Palm, thanks to Palm's terrible JVM which is discontinued (can still get it, but harder to find and required for OM).
    Palm's NV filesystem is unstable and is more likely to run into database corruption than most other OS's.
    09-24-08 06:32 PM
    thanks I just like the centro touch screen . LOL
    09-24-08 06:33 PM
    Get the Curve!
    09-24-08 06:33 PM
    Palm and BB use totally different software, although you can find some apps for both that do similar things. Depends what you are looking for though, otherwise it's kinda hard to answer.

I've had both and I like the curve a lot better, but it all depends what you need.

If you want touchscreen, only the Centro has that.
    If the BB data plan will increase your monthly costs, then that's a factor in the Centro's favor.
    I like the Curve trackball a lot better than the Centro dpad.
    Blackberry email works better than Palm Versamail for sure.
    Palm has better threaded SMS than BB.
    BB Curve can multitask, Palm OS does not.
    BB Curve keyboard is a lot better.
    BB Curve looks better imo, but Centro is smaller.
    Palm apps tend to be cheaper than BB apps in a lot of cases.
    Palm sucks worse at support and updates than RIM does.
    Opera Mini is more stable on BB than Palm, thanks to Palm's terrible JVM which is discontinued (can still get it, but harder to find and required for OM).
    Palm's NV filesystem is unstable and is more likely to run into database corruption than most other OS's.
    ive had a trusty dusty 650 in the past and this is well said
    09-24-08 06:34 PM

hmm k : thanks
    09-24-08 06:37 PM
    I had 3 different Treos, but have not used the Centro. I went from Treo to HTC/WM, to BB (pearl to curve).
    I liked the Treo's (palm based, WM sucked). Hated the HTC however, phone was great, but the OS was a joke.
    Then i got the BB. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Yes, there is a learning curve. Palm is a whole different world, and getting used to the curve opposed to the Treo wasn't very difficult.
    I would suggest the BB. Very reliable devices.
    09-24-08 06:38 PM
    Couple things I forgot.

-Palm does not use a standard mini-usb connector. Even worse, their connector is SLOW to transfer because it's not full USB 2.0 (Serial-USB crap). You can drag-drop several gigs on to a BB Curve through USB and be done in not too much time. I hope you have several hours to kill on a Palm Centro (basically have to use a card reader instead)
    -Hotsync is far more confusing than Desktop Manager, particularly dealing with specific modules and databases.
    -Palm does not support A2DP (stereo) bluetooth hardware wise. You have to buy a 3rd party app to use this.
    09-24-08 06:39 PM
    Trust me, the keys on that teeny little centro are so hard to accurately type on unless you happened to have like a stylus implanted on the end of your thumbs. it's built for teensy finger apparently, and besides palm? really?
    09-24-08 06:41 PM
    thanks bb curve i guess bwahah. they should come out w/ one of the bb curve touch screeen w/ qwerty keyboard
    09-24-08 06:41 PM
    Problem is it wouldn't really be that useful. You can navigate fast with the trackball + hard keys + convenience keys.

Might be nice for stuff like games or web browser scrolling (which already works better with a trackball than a dpad), but all in all it would mostly just drive the costs up.

It's practical on the Centro because they cut corners in a lot of other areas.
    Last edited by papped; 09-24-08 at 06:47 PM.
    09-24-08 06:45 PM
    thanks you very much
    09-24-08 06:47 PM
    Wouldn't have to think twice on this. Go with the Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-08 07:31 PM
    Curve...I had options of the centro, iphone and curve..After playing w/the centro and liking the touch screen, but hating, the small screen that I would soon need bifocals for I went with the curve and have never looked back. Curve.
    09-24-08 08:50 PM
    thabnks
    09-24-08 08:55 PM
    I have had palm for years, and recently decided to switch to the BB 8530. So far I hate the BB and may return it.

As everyone has already said, the 2 phones are very different. And it depends on how you plan to use it.

I work 2 jobs, and am currently planning a wedding so mine is strictly to keep my personal life organized. I enjoyed having 1 calendar on the phone that allows you to color code different events. (All my wedding stuff is purple, my F/T job blue, P/T job orange, appts yellow, etc) So, from the monthly view I could see what I had going on just based on the colors. On the BB, the only way to color code anything is to have multiple calendars that are linked to different emails. Very confusing.

I am also not a fan of the contacts. Again, on the centro you could have different groups of contacts. So I had a wedding list with all my vendors, a family list, a work list, etc.

As for the phone itself, 1 thing that was not mentioned is if you a woman with long finger nails. As stupid as it sounds, my fingernails (real) are the only thing that stopped me from upgrading to the Palm Pre or and Iphone. The screen is heat sensative, so it doesn't recognize my finger nails, and the nails are too long for my finger tip to touch the screen. The hard keys on the BB phones are difficult to use with my nails, but with the Centro, their soft rubberized keys were much easier to use with my nails. Not to mention with the Centro touchscreen, I did have a "built-in" stylus on my finger.

If your with Sprint, you have a 30 day period that you can return the phone, so maybe give them both a try???

As for me, I have 2 weeks to decide if I want to keep the BB
    01-23-10 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD