A good friend of mine (berry addict for probably 2 years more than me) just bought a new Curve, and after 5 days of using it is VERY close to taking it back to AT&T to replace it with another 8700.

His reasoning? Not enough internal memory! In transferring over his emails from his old 8700 and reinstalling his regular-use applications, he ran out of room on the new Curve. I guess the newer OS and from-factory apps take up more room on the internal memory than on older blackberrys, and therefore leave less free for applications/email. And while an expandable card is fine for pics/ringtones, I guess it doesn't help in the basic email/application department.

After scanning the forums a bit, I'm seeing a few people are running into Curve memory issues, such as older emails/SMSs getting automatically deleted as the device frees ups space.

So I want to know....

Who's running into Lack of Memory Issues on the Curve?

What are the solutions to these problems?

Why did RIM put so little internal memory on a device (especially considering at WES they talked about applications taking blackberry to the next level - to me this means you need room for them!)?

Who's frustrated? Who's having no issues?
    06-12-07 05:20 PM
    I haven't been having having any mem issues, but I am not yet abusing it either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-07 07:52 AM
    I don't have a Curve personally, BUT, the people I've spoken with, who had this issue, I've asked them to do a battery pull. After doing so, they get back about 10-15 mb of memory!

It's almost like the devices are holding cached information, thus causing memory issues...

Scary!
    06-14-07 07:58 AM
    From your home screen, hold alt and press LGLG.. This will bring you into your event log. Press menu key then options... Min log level should be set to Warning.. IT SHOULD ALWAYS REMAIN ON THIS!!!!

However when clearing this log you will have to highlight, select it and go to Debug Info. Once you have debug info selected, menu key and save. This will bring you back to main Event Log. From there menu key and clear log, confirm delete. Once deleted you must change log level back to Warning.. So go menu again, options, select debug info, change it to Warning, menu key, SAVE... Once saved Ecscape key or End key to bring you out of Event Log... Aside from freeing up some space, it is generally just a good idea to do this every so often...
    06-14-07 09:14 AM
    Brian, any reason why once am in there, and it's set to warning, I can't just clear the logs from there? Does it not do the debug logs, too, from there?
    06-14-07 09:31 AM
    When you set to Debug it gets everything... Sometimes I will just leave it warning and clear them... As long as one in four times you change the log level to Debug, you should be good...
    06-14-07 12:16 PM
    Thanks for the info! You learn something new everyday...
    06-14-07 12:22 PM
    I'm new to this forum and just purchased a 2gb memory card for my curve. Although I never had a memory issue, I'm hoping to be able to download audio books. I haven't figured out how to do that yet though.
    01-17-08 05:06 PM
    No memory issues, for me. However, I don't really use the Curve for anything else than email, yahoo IM, SMS and of course phone calls.

The fact that it only has 64MB of system memory is a bit disheartening, though. I think it's 'boot time' would be significantly decreased if it had more than, say, 12MB of free memory to work with on boot.

In this day, and age, I am kind of shocked that they cheaped out and left it at 64MB. Just seems like they took a shortcut, to me.
    01-18-08 01:20 AM
    Yep, 64 isn't enough. I loaded up Facebook, meteor crusher, and pacman, and lost all call logs, emails, and messages in general.
    This is my first crackberry and I love it, but I know what to look for next purchase.
    Maybe with OS 4.5 we'll be able to save more to the expanded mem besides pics and ringtones.
    02-21-08 12:47 PM
    I had memory problems the first week I had it...but I've adapted to it. I freed up some space by getting rid of things that I'll never use. I also clear the event log and clear out any unneeded messages and phone calls.
    02-21-08 01:44 PM
    Continuing the thread, here are my memory issues for my 8320.
    1.)Total memory recorded on the curve is 52.9megs and not 64megs. Why?
    2.) Everyweek my free memory drops from 17megs to 14-13megs.
    A hard reboot brings it back up to 17megs. I do not have any external applications. I make calls send messages and like.
    I know for a fact (because it happened to me) that if you go four weeks without a battery pull on the curve you will start to see you messages and call logs deleted. Why is that ? Navi? Moderators? can someone explain this?
    02-21-08 02:00 PM
    I have a 8830 and I'm having the same issues. Its getting ridiculous!!!! I dont have many apps, my pics, music, ringers are all on the memory card. I have no idea what to do!!!
    02-21-08 03:16 PM
    Continuing the thread, here are my memory issues for my 8320.
    1.)Total memory recorded on the curve is 52.9megs and not 64megs. Why?
    2.) Everyweek my free memory drops from 17megs to 14-13megs.
    A hard reboot brings it back up to 17megs. I do not have any external applications. I make calls send messages and like.
    I know for a fact (because it happened to me) that if you go four weeks without a battery pull on the curve you will start to see you messages and call logs deleted. Why is that ? Navi? Moderators? can someone explain this?
    same here,

#1, the OS in BB taken about ~12Mb, so that is what the "available" memory is only ~52 MB
    02-21-08 03:55 PM
    I just ran into this after less than a weeks time. I'm about to delete some of this unneccassary factory stuff.

Still it's a little ridiculous, I guess there had to be a chink in the armor somewhere for BB.
    02-22-08 03:37 PM
    The ARM architecture RISC processors evolved from the 6502 processer used by Apple and many other personal computers over the years.

Part of the design criteria was, Acorn had a long line of computers based on the 6502, so a chip that was similar to program could represent a significant advantage for the company.

The architecture specifies a 32 bit data and address bus. That gives the processor 4 Gb of address space. The program counter was limited to 26 bits as the top 6 bits served as the status flags.

The maximum a 26 bit address space will support 64 Mb.

My Curve boots up with 18 Mb of free space with the Content Cache flushed. Cache space is critical to the smooth operation of the browser, I have confidance the RIM geeks are making good use of the space.
    Last edited by Stoner; 02-22-08 at 04:06 PM.
    02-22-08 03:56 PM
    When I do a battery pull i get to about 15 to 16 Megs. But after a day or two I am down to about 12 or 11. I just remember to do a battery pull every other day or so..
    02-23-08 02:27 AM
    I have posted this problem several times, so I will here also. I have had this problem since the day I got it. I have 23 Mb free on my Curve and my emails still delete every day or so. Happened again last night after no problems for 3 days. Did a battery remove reboot and it didn't free up any more memory. I have no other apps installed and have deleted everything I can. My BES account was deleted and completely recreated. My SIM card was also replaced. The IT is now looking a recreating my Outlook account. (I don't hold out much hope.) Until RIM come out with a fix all you can do is accept the fact your emails and other stuff will continue to disappear.
    02-24-08 07:43 PM
    Naviwilliams has hit the nail on the head

Pulling the battery forces a reset and a clear of the Browsers content cache.

The cache is critical to the smooth operation of the browser.

Way back in the mid 80`s, designing a processor that had 64 Mb of address space seemed to be enough. That was about the time Bill Gates was quoted as saying "640 Kb is enough for anything ..."

Curve owners in particular are seeing the end of the universe because we have all these features.

Voice command? No problem, but there goes another megabyte.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-08 08:04 PM
    What i have found that works the best to resolve the memory issue is to find and download "soft reset" application and run it once or twice a week instead of doing the battery pull. This along with the above mentioned log delete procedure and the web browser cache files/history delete keeps both of my Blackberries trouble free. I don't get deleted messages and call logs anymore at all. Another thing to remember is when closing any application you need to use the "close" option to close applications by using the blackberry button and selecting "close" to exit apps and not just press the end key. I believe using the "back key will also be successful in completely terminating applications and not leave them running in the background hogging up memory. I did my homework here at crackberry and all is well for all my berries!
    05-23-08 07:41 PM
    Anyone ever notice the memory cleaner? Options>Security Options>Memory Cleaning>Enabled

Does having that on help with any of these memory issues? I remember I had turned it on out of curiosity on my old pearl and never had any issues. Just remember it and turned it back on.
    05-23-08 07:53 PM
    I just ran into this after less than a weeks time. I'm about to delete some of this unneccassary factory stuff.

Still it's a little ridiculous, I guess there had to be a chink in the armor somewhere for BB.
    Hey theres no reason to blame the chinese the phones made in Mexico.
    05-23-08 08:07 PM
    Anyone ever notice the memory cleaner? Options>Security Options>Memory Cleaning>Enabled

Does having that on help with any of these memory issues? I remember I had turned it on out of curiosity on my old pearl and never had any issues. Just remember it and turned it back on.
    Not on mine...att version.
    05-23-08 08:14 PM

I have it sitting on my desktop. Doesn't recover a lot, but if you're really low I guess it can't hurt.

But honestly, I have no issues with the memory. Did the optimize, loaded apps i need (ok some are just fun) and I don't really store all that many messages. Sitting on about 29 now.
    05-23-08 08:25 PM
    Not on mine...att version.
    The option is not there or it doesn't help?
    05-23-08 08:25 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD