I have a BlackBerry Curve that is less than a month old. I plugged it into my MacBook to charge (I left it on while it was charging) and when I woke up this morning it was off with a red, unblinking light on. It won't turn back on.

I tried taking the battery out. I just can't get it to turn on. Any thoughts?
    07-15-08 09:15 AM
    So when you pulled the battery and put it back in it still just came back on with a solid red light and nothing on the screen?
    07-15-08 09:17 AM
    If you have exhausted all other options then you may have to attempt to reload the OS to your device. To do this you'll need to take a few extra steps since the DM won't recognize the device while it's in the state it is.

1. Install the desktop software.
    2. Install the handheld software. (If it is a non Vendor software.. exp. T-Mobile. search and delete the "vendor.xml" file.)
    3. Pull the battery out of your device.
    4. With the battery out connect the device to the computer.
    5. Go to Options and select "connection settings"
    6. Select USB PIN this may take a few moments since there is no battery in the device. you might even have to select detect device in some rare cases.
    7. Select the application loader icon.
    8. Select all software you want installed.
    9. Proceed to the end portion until you see the "Finish" button.
    10. Very IMPORTANT. do not hit the finish button, instead select the ADVANCED button.
    11. Make sure both boxes are checked.
    12. Proceed until it asks you if you want to automatically back up and restore. Select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP MY HANDHELD.
    13. Once the process starts, re-insert the battery. Again on some rare occasions you might have to wait until it finishes saying connect to insert the battery.
    07-15-08 09:24 AM
    I rebooted the MacBook it is charging off of once and it turned on to show a battery charging icon. I rebooted the MacBook again and it is now on with zero battery life even though I left in plugged into the Mac all night. Is there something weird about charging from a MacBook (or any laptop) that I might not know about?
    07-15-08 10:02 AM
    Charging from a mini usb to usb cord is not the optimal method of charging. When your macbook went to sleep so did the usb ports.

Try a travel charger that plugs into the wall.
    07-15-08 11:43 AM
    Charging from a mini usb to usb cord is not the optimal method of charging. When your macbook went to sleep so did the usb ports.

Try a travel charger that plugs into the wall.
    That makes sense. Thanks for your help. I'm new, is there anything I need to do to close the thread or anything? EDIT: Guess I just gave it a bump instead. My bad.
    07-16-08 01:10 AM
    My blackberry fell out of my pocket while it was still in the holstier, and now it won't come on. What should I do?
    10-14-08 02:09 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The first thing to try is re-seating the battery. Remove it, inspect the Gold contacts and contact springs. If the springs are bent from the fall they may not be making contact.

Very gently, use a small tool to return them to their original position.

Inspect the battery contacts too, if you can see any sign of contamination, use a pink rubber eraser to gently clean the contact.

If that does not work, their may be damage to an internal connector. If your carrier will not replace it, you may have to use a BlackBerry specialty repair shop. Use Google to find one in your country.
    m7md1986 likes this.
    10-14-08 02:25 PM
    I have a BlackBerry Curve that is less than a month old. I plugged it into my MacBook to charge (I left it on while it was charging) and when I woke up this morning it was off with a red, unblinking light on. It won't turn back on.

I tried taking the battery out. I just can't get it to turn on. Any thoughts?
    I had this exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I didn't have my wall charger so I used a usb cord to charge it on an older computer. Your battery was most likely completely dead. Hope you got it fixed :]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mm_style; 10-14-08 at 02:43 PM.
    10-14-08 02:32 PM
    Hi guys. I need a hand here. I was messing around with my phone and decided to put a password on it. Since I had time to kill and being the ***** that I am I decided I would purposely get the password wrong ten times to see what would happen. As soon as I found out that it was deleting my items, I took the battery out of the phone. Now, the phone wont turn on and it is a solid red light.

I dont know what to do. It seems I have really screwed myself. PLEASE HELP!!!!
    01-30-10 12:23 AM
    If you did that without having all of your stuff backed up, that would rank pretty high on the 'Never Do List'. I think you have to reinstall your system from your DM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 02:30 AM
    hi I have a blackberry 8350i and it wont go on.It shows a battery with a red line across. Can someone please help.
    02-28-10 10:41 PM
    If you have exhausted all other options then you may have to attempt to reload the OS to your device. To do this you'll need to take a few extra steps since the DM won't recognize the device while it's in the state it is.

2. Install the handheld software. (If it is a non Vendor software.. exp. T-Mobile. search and delete the "vendor.xml" file.)
    6. Select USB PIN this may take a few moments since there is no battery in the device. you might even have to select detect device in some rare cases.
    10. Very IMPORTANT. do not hit the finish button, instead select the ADVANCED button.
    12. Proceed until it asks you if you want to automatically back up and restore. Select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP MY HANDHELD.
    13. Once the process starts, re-insert the battery. Again on some rare occasions you might have to wait until it finishes saying connect to insert the battery.
    this is not working for me, my 8350i after selecting USB in th DM is not doing nothing, is plugged in my pc without battery, and nothing, when i pligg it, jus red light came on, then off, then nothing, is there any way to erase all th stuff inside and do new OS in this stage of the phone?
    03-02-10 01:06 AM
    this is not working for me, my 8350i after selecting USB in th DM is not doing nothing, is plugged in my pc without battery, and nothing, when i pligg it, jus red light came on, then off, then nothing, is there any way to erase all th stuff inside and do new OS in this stage of the phone?
    This is what happened:
    i have an 8350i, i went to bed, battery almost dying, i said: ill charge it in the morning,when in th morning i was on th way to th kitchen, th phone went off, happened to me couple of times, so i decided to charge it, when i plugged it, a red light came on, then off, after that, i am almost crazy!!i have been in several forums, tried to use JL_cmder, i tried that like 10 times, and nothing,i think the device is not being recognized or something,when i plug th usb, again the red light comes on, then off,i dont know what happened, please i need some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-02-10 01:07 AM
    WOW!!! Thank you so much for your knowledge on this matter, I was ****ting bricks and thought i lost all data on my phone...again thank you so much. BTW, i was trying to update my phone and desktop when i ran into some error and my phones os went blank(2 blinking red lights). thanx sergiovayin.
    Last edited by checocinero; 04-04-10 at 01:23 AM. Reason: name
    04-04-10 01:22 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The first thing to try is re-seating the battery. Remove it, inspect the Gold contacts and contact springs. If the springs are bent from the fall they may not be making contact.

Inspect the battery contacts too, if you can see any sign of contamination, use a pink rubber eraser to gently clean the contact.

If that does not work, their may be damage to an internal connector. If your carrier will not replace it, you may have to use a BlackBerry specialty repair shop. Use Google to find one in your country.
    "Remove it, inspect the Gold contacts and contact springs. If the springs are bent from the fall they may not be making contact." that helped soooo much!! my bb8330 now works!!
    05-04-10 04:30 PM
    i need help, i just got a black berry curve last night, and i was downloading the software and it was downloaded but then my computer froze and shut off, and now phone wont turn on at all its what the other person said it keeps flashing red. and i dont know what to do, i tried taking the battery out and everything i tried restarting my computer and plug it in it didnt work
    05-07-10 01:07 AM
    I'm having the same problem with my curve.... I haven't used the phone in so long so the battery has gone completely dead since and I've wanted to switch back to it. I'm using the USB cable to charge it from my computer, getting the red solid light and no power...... what do I do?
    06-20-10 01:41 AM
    My phone locked up recently (as it seems to often) and I pulled the battery to reset. The screen never came back on and I would get a slow flashing red light. If I connected to the USB cable, you could hear it connect and disconnect over and over "didoo...dodee...didoo...dodee". So I did a battery pull, tried to reinstall OS, tried to wipe, nothing would work because it would never stay connected long enough. I read many things that did not work for me. I read that someone thought it was a hardware problem and they tapped on the phone behind the battery to fix. I tried that, no go. It has been dead for a few weeks so I am ready to throw it. I decided one last thing. I beat the **** out of it. Smack! Smack! Smack! on the front and back (careful not to really damage anything). To my surprise it powered up!!!! I have just gone through reloading everything and am watching the hourglass go around. What a great sight! And I am now looking at a screen with all my app icons! Back to life!! This is the only thing that worked for me. Give it a good Smack!! It has been dead for weeks!
    Ahhh, I feel better now...I hope I help some other lost souls. :-)
    ddee. likes this.
    08-02-10 09:25 PM
    I got help from a the suggestions here, so I'll describe my experience.

I let my battery drain too far and when I tried to turn my phone on this morning, it was completely dead. Plugging it in with the charger would light up the red LED for about 20-30 seconds and then it would go out for about 10 seconds and repeat over and over. The screen would barely flash twice which I got to stay up for half a second by mashing buttons as it came up and it was white with the battery/lightening bolt.

Plugging it in to the PC cycled the same and as Doogle67 described it kept connecting and disconnecting on the USB. After looking for bent pins and also the smacking approach. I took a small file and lightly filed the contacts for the battery and then lightly scratched the metal surfaces on the battery.

I plugged it in and it started charging immediately. I would suggest cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol or an eraser also mentioned in a post here. My use of a file was out of frustration and last ditch attempt.
    10-23-10 08:51 PM

Hopefully You're Still Around Here Super Loopy. I'm looking at a 2 year old message. I have the same problem with my Blackberry going in circles trying to reboot over and over again. If the OS is re-installed, what happens to my history and contacts? Is it over-written? I haven't backed it up in a month or so and I don't want to lose that data. Help!
    10-28-10 06:22 AM
    ok so i ust got this black berry curve and i left to go take a final and when i got home i realized my center mover thing didnt work. i restarted my phone and now all i am getting it the orgianl white screen when you urn it on with the loading icon... it has been like this for 5 hours :/ HELPPP
    12-15-10 01:20 PM
    I routinely dropped my BB and the white screen popped up. I've removed/reinserted the battery a dozen times, plugged it in to charge it (eventhough it had a charge at the time of the fall) and FINALLY it came on. A few minutes later it turned itself off. I got it back on and I think the problem may be that something battery-related got jarred loose.
    08-14-11 07:50 PM
    my phone went off and wouldnt charge for hours! i tried doing everything else everyone else suggested but nothing worked. I decided to give my phone a good smack, front and back and it finally started charging! thanks alot! i'm glad i came across this
    12-02-11 02:45 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Dear Reed McLay .... i Just want to kiss you so hard . and Hug you alot ...
    i want to buy a Glue ... to Stick my body with you ....
    i swear i Register to this site .... and Waste about 20 Minutes to Complete the Hard Registration because i have Crappy Internet .... just to thank you ....
    even if i Tried Your Solution before i Read it ... but doesnt work with me ...
    and when i Read your Solution ... i Tried it ... and its Work .... Really You put a Candle in my heart ... Thank you So much ... Really Appreciate your Help ... Love you So much
    12-28-11 02:26 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD