I looked up some info on the new Blackberry Tour that is coming out for Verizon in july and noticed that it will have an updated O.S. 5.0 with a very cool looking new blackberry messenger. I was wondering if anyone knew if an update will occur that will update all other blackberrys for verizon (like mine, the curve 8330) to O.S. 5.0 with the new messenger for those phones too.

Also, for something like wifi, is that something that can be updated on other phones as well whenever Verizon decides to add wifi to newer blackberrys, or does it have to be in the hardware to be able to get wifi?
    06-28-09 04:33 AM
    OS 5.0 requires a lot of memory to run, which is made obvious from some hybrids that are very laggy with 5.0 files. Also, there are conflicting reports that devices currently at 4.6/4.7 will eventually be upgraded to 5.0, while those still on 4.5 (such as our Curves) will be left in the dust. Others have reported, however, that RIM is still working on an update. Personally, I think that we will be left with 4.5, since it's an older device and not near the memory and processor speeds of today's BB's.

Regarding the Wi-Fi issue, you either have it or you don't. Just as you can't get a software upgrade to put wireless internet onto your laptop, you cannot do a software upgrade to put wireless onto your phone. It's a hardware issue. If it's built with it, sweet, cool. If it's not, and the Tour (currently) is not, then you won't have it on that phone. Perhaps later, but not currently.

Make sense?
    06-28-09 04:55 AM
    The 8330 is pretty old at this point. The chances that RIM makes an update over 4.5 are slim. The chances that vzw would actually issue it make the proverbial ice cube in heck look lucky.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-09 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD