Hi guys. I'm new here and had a few questions. I looked through whats already posted and hadn't really seen very much on here about this, however like I said, I'm new and could have done it wrong. Anyways, I was hoping someone had some answers. I've done some searching on google but seem to be coming up empty handed. I just purchased a blackberry 8330 off ebay to replace a stolen device and I am attempting to unlock it to the rogers network from verizion. First of all, is this possible? Second, from what I've read you need to go menu--advanced options--sim card...this is where I'm stuck, for some reason under my advanced options there is not sim card option. I check the back of the phone and there IS a slot to put one in, and I've done a full reset, but nothing comes up. Also, is there a way to connect to the internet without the data plan? I am aware now (unfortunately I was misinformed while purchasing) that there is no wifi on the phone. However, is there a way to connect the phone to the internet by plugging it into my computer, using my computers internet on the phone? Or some other method? Please let me know, because at this point I'm strongly debating just buying a new blackberry(w/o contract) on rogers, which obviously isn't a very affordable option.
    04-01-10 11:15 AM
    The 8330 does not have a SIM card slot. It is a CDMA-only phone. Rogers is a GSM carrier, so it is not possible to use an 8330 on Rogers, whether unlocked or not. Your user info says you have an 8830. The 8830 does have a SIM slot and can be unlocked to use on European GSM frequencies, but it cannot be used on North American GSM frequencies, so it cannot be used on Rogers.

I don't know any way to use a PC to provide real-time internet access to a phone.
    04-01-10 11:44 AM
    Why would you want to use your computer to access the internet on the phone, when you have the computer right there?
    04-01-10 02:12 PM
    Thank you for your responses. It is in fact an 8330 not an 8830, my mistake. I was hoping to be able to use the computer to access the internet on my phone to use BBM, something I can't use on my computer.
    04-01-10 02:53 PM
    You're going to have to get a GSM phone to use it on Rogers. Whether you can get to BBM without a data plan, I can't say. Someone else may know if and how that can be accomplished. It won't be via connecting to a PC, however.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-10 03:04 PM
    Regardless of the device, you will not be able to use your computer's internet connection to use BBM on a BlackBerry.
    04-01-10 03:30 PM
    Thank you for your help guys. Does anyone know where I could get a GSM phone from besides the obvious (Directly from rogers, ebay, kijiji..) Is there anything available on here for members selling/trading phones? I would prefer something reputable, so I don't get scammed, and I would prefer not to have to buy a phone outright from rogers.
    04-01-10 05:49 PM
    It's called "The Marketplace" here.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f14/

Note that even if you get a device with WiFi, you will need a BlackBerry Data Plan in order to get BlackBerry Data features.
    04-01-10 06:22 PM
    Thank you. A question about the unlocked feature. If an AT&T phone or TMobile phone is unlocked, will it fully work (including data features) on the rogers network? Sorry, I'm still trying to learn.
    04-01-10 08:12 PM
    Yes. If the device is a GSM device (AT&T and TMobile are GSM carriers as is Rogers) and is unlocked or if you get it unlocked, then it will work on Rogers. You will have to have all the appropriate items (data, voice, SMS, etc) to your account if you wan those features.

No problem asking. Better to ask than to go forward with the wrong (or no) information.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-10 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD