Edited to ad: I just noticed I titled the thread BIS vs BIS, I meant BIS vs BES! oops!

I've had my 8330 for about a year, and just recently switched to a treo pro because I wanted imap folder support. I had treos for years, the BB was the first time I've been non-treo since I knew what a treo was. I LOVED the BB until I discovered IMAP. I tried logicmail and tiggit, but got all sorts of errors and neither one functioned well. So, I started to use the brand new treo pro I had sitting on the shelf for the past few months. Like I said, I hate it; and the crappy part is, it doesn't even sync draft messages. To me, that's still not true IMAP support.

I have been reading all over the message boards that if I had had BES I could get full IMAP support. I just called sprint tech support and they told me that even with the BES service I wouldn't get IMAP folder access. I just want to see my folders and be able to move messages between folders. He didn't really know what IMAP is, so I am wondering if the information I got was correct. If I paid the $20/month to sprint for BES, would I be able to access my IMAP folders? I don't really understand how BES works, so I guess I'm a little confused. He kept saying BES just syncs with outlook, over and over again. Can anyone give me the scoop on IMAP support with BES, and if it will even work for me?
    Last edited by greatgadsden; 10-01-09 at 07:52 PM.
    10-01-09 07:19 PM
    BES is the service that provides complete wireless synchronization for Outlook, Lotus Notes, or Novell. It is usually a corporate solution and requires a BlackBerry Enterprise Server application running in conjunction with the corporate email/calendar application (Microsoft Exchange, for example). There are third-party BES hosts for those who want BES functionality but are not connected to a corporate system or their company doesn't support it.

BES is not IMAP. However, it wirelessly synchronizes email (inbound and outbound) with complete email folder support, and synchronizes tasks, calendar, and notes, all bidirectionally. What you see on your desktop (Outlook, for example) is exactly what you see on your BlackBerry and vice versa. Changes made on one are instantly reflected on the other.

I have no experience with IMAP folders (I'm on BES) but from what I've read here, two-way IMAP folder support is� well, I'm tempted to say "impossible" on a BlackBerry but that's probably too strong a word given my lack of experience with it. Perhaps someone with IMAP experience will be along and correct me, thereby making you a happier person :-) .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-09 11:09 PM
    jbeachy, thanks for the response. I specifically asked sprint tech support if I needed to have a special server to do this or if I simply needed to buy their $20 service. They told me I just buy the service and that's all I need. We are a small business, we don't have any special server or anything, so it wouldn't work for me if I needed that. From what you explain though, it sounds like this is extremely dependent on hardware.

It doesn't sound like the BB is able to actually display imap folders and allow you to move messages back and forth between them, which is what I was hoping for. I guess this would be along the lines of what you call two-way support.

Well, I have my "one-way" imap then. Am I happier yet? No, not really. The current situation beats the you know what out of that stupid treo pro, though. Man, that thing was annoying! I'll go back to one of these third party apps to see if I can get this BB to do what I want it to.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.
    10-01-09 11:24 PM
    You will need to be running Exchange, Groupwise or Domino for email and would then need to install BES or the cut down version of BPS. BPS is free with one Client Access Licence (CAL). To support more users, you would need to buy additional CALs. You also have to pay the monthly service from your provider for BES.
    10-02-09 05:43 AM
    You will need to be running Exchange, Groupwise or Domino for email and would then need to install BES or the cut down version of BPS. BPS is free with one Client Access Licence (CAL). To support more users, you would need to buy additional CALs. You also have to pay the monthly service from your provider for BES.
    So I need admin privileges to my server, right? That's not really something I have access to where I'm at now. Sounds like it won't be working for me. Thanks for the tips anyway. I still like my BB better than that stupid treo.
    10-02-09 02:04 PM
    Even though I don't think this is going to work for me, I want to clarify something. If I was set up with BES, would I have folder support for my imap accounts? Would I be able to see all my folders and move messages around between them?
    10-02-09 06:56 PM
    There is a medium path to what you want without in-house IT cost and admin.

You can subscribe to 3rd party email hosting service that has Exchange/BES service. It normally runs about $9.99 per month per email box. See sample below.

Mobility Solutions with Exchange Hosting
    Last edited by leskchan; 10-02-09 at 07:49 PM.
    10-02-09 07:25 PM
    Another option may be Google Apps. While imap support is not totally included in the native client, not yet anyway, you can access all your folders with the Gmail email application.
    10-02-09 07:37 PM

You can subscribe to 3rd party email hosting service that has Exchange/BES service. It normally runs about $9.99 per month per email box. See sample below.

Ok, this is a good solution. I contacted them and they say it will do everything I want. There is a 30 day trial, I'm gonna give it a shot.

I haven't tried google apps, but I looked into it a little once. Do you have to use a gmail account, or can you use your own email domain?
    10-02-09 09:39 PM
    You use your own domain with Google Apps. That the idea of Apps vs Gmail. There is no features different with the BB.

I use Google Apps and I am fine with it, but it is not going to give you IMAP features that you want.

10-02-09 09:49 PM

I wonder if this would work to IMAP my AKO mail to my BB.
    10-03-09 03:50 AM
    I don't know what AKO mail is, but basically you have to host your email service at Mobility Solution.
    10-03-09 08:35 AM
    Army Knowledge Online. I can't use BIS to retrieve my mail because by regulation we're not to give our u/n and p/w to anyone. If I can get a mail client on my BB that would store my info locally to access my mail it would be great.

10-03-09 02:00 PM
    After some more research and talking with tech support at 123together, I decided to give up on this for now. The thing is, it would work, for the low price of $40/month. It's really not that bad, actually. But I was hoping I could do it for less. You need to buy exchange server service from 123together for $10/month. Next, you need to buy BES service from 123 together for another $10/month. Finally, you must buy BES from your carrier, which is $20/month in my case from sprint. So it is a solution. I just don't want to pay that much right now to fiddle with it. Anyone who wants to go for it has a good way to go though.

I wonder if this would work to IMAP my AKO mail to my BB.
    I didn't read the thread, but I found this or you.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/ako-email-40915/
    10-03-09 03:43 PM
    Thank you. I'll check it out.

10-03-09 03:47 PM
    greatgadsden , you have to pay $20 to Sprint regarless to use any BB BIS or BES. The $20 should not be included as factor.
    10-03-09 04:34 PM
    greatgadsden , you have to pay $20 to Sprint regarless to use any BB BIS or BES. The $20 should not be included as factor.
    I already pay for my BB data service. Sprint told me that I have to add on another $20 to use BES. They never said anything about downgrading my current data plan. All they said was $20 more for BES. I'm just going off what sprint told me.
    10-03-09 04:39 PM
    I pay for all unlimited data as part of my family plan, but sprint doesn't itemize my bill showing a fee for BIS. Isn't it just included? Seeing as I have 5 phones sharing the unlimited data, I don't think that I can opt out of BIS in lieu of BES. It would have to be an additional fee for BES. Maybe if it were a single-phone plan, one could substitute BIS for BES, unless of course BIS is a prerequisite for BES.

10-03-09 05:41 PM
    Onael, I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. Do you just want to read your AKO emails on the BB only or do you want to read/manage/sort your AKO emails?
    10-03-09 06:58 PM
    I want to read/manage/sort my AKO email. There's a lot of buzz about LogicMail. I'll be giving it a try tomorrow.

10-03-09 10:32 PM
    I pay for all unlimited data as part of my family plan, but sprint doesn't itemize my bill showing a fee for BIS. Isn't it just included? Seeing as I have 5 phones sharing the unlimited data, I don't think that I can opt out of BIS in lieu of BES. It would have to be an additional fee for BES. Maybe if it were a single-phone plan, one could substitute BIS for BES, unless of course BIS is a prerequisite for BES.

I have the same thing, a 5 phone family plan. I do get an employee discount given to me by the store manager. Is that SERO? I'm not really sure. So, I would get a bit of a discount off the $20 BES service. But everything points to an additional $20. I think I'm going to learn to deal with the email the way it is; at least until I open my new business and emails start becoming higher volume.
    10-04-09 09:29 AM
    Normally BES costs more than BIS as RIM charge your carrier more for BES connections.
    10-04-09 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD