You know, I just read through this entire thread again, and to be honest, I don't think we (myself included) have been at all fair to the OP. We've kind of turned this into a debate about one app over the other.

OP's original question: Best free GPS app? (with link if you can)
    Let's try to get back to that. We can debate Nav4All, Google Maps, and everything else in the GPS forum.
    This is tobrien's thread and we have completely jacked it
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-16-08 at 04:19 PM.
    06-16-08 04:17 PM
    In that case, I only know of one free program and it has lousy write ups.
    06-17-08 07:10 AM
    Yahoo Go! Yahoo! Go. The best Internet experience for your phone. Period. It is Free and has GPS, STOCKS, and much more. All you need is a yahoo free email account. I use this All the time.
    06-17-08 12:25 PM
    What about a GPS app that I can use for geocaching or even finding distance. I'd like one where I can set a start point, then hit my end point and see how far I have gone.
    06-17-08 01:12 PM
    I have always heard good things about Google Maps, but for me it has always given me the most ridiculous directions and is usually about 50 meters off. That's why I gave it up.

As to voice guided navigation being overrated, again this is just me, I don't want to read while driving, so the VGN is a great benefit.
    I definetely agree with you its always 50 to 100 meters off from where i am...but it is free so i have no complaints...
    06-18-08 03:53 PM
    I definetely agree with you its always 50 to 100 meters off from where i am...but it is free so i have no complaints...
    god bless people read! its only off that much when it initially starts up OR if you are out of GPS range. GPS will NOT work in a lot of indoor situations. whenever its not available it will use triangulation via towers, evident by the big blue circled area. once ur GPS is available again it will switch to your exact location and you will only see a little blue dot that moves as you move.

Google Maps is always within 3M of where i am at IF i am in GPS range.
    06-18-08 04:03 PM
    god bless people read! its only off that much when it initially starts up OR if you are out of GPS range.
    You may have a hard time accepting these facts but
    1) I know how to read
    2) I know how the software works
    3) I understand the in range, out of range thing
    4) I understand the whole issue of signal strength

And with all that Google Maps has NEVER worked for me.
    I am very happy you like it, but would you please
    stop trying to make those of us who used it and either
    didn't like it or could never get to live up to it's promise
    feel as if we are somehow doing something wrong.

For some it works (You), for some it does not (Me).
    Leave it at that.
    06-18-08 04:12 PM
    yes, i absolutely have a hard time believing it is spot on accurate everywhere i have been in the states of TN and GA, yet other locs individuals say it is off 50M to 100M. maybe it does vary that much from venue to venue.

not trying to offend anyone, my apologies if i get anyone bent out of shape. just see some really really stupid posts/responses from individuals frequently on this board, and probably wrongly assumed such in this case. my bad amazinglygraceless.
    06-18-08 05:00 PM
    yes, i absolutely have a hard time believing it is spot on accurate everywhere i have been in the states of TN and GA, yet other locs individuals say it is off 50M to 100M. maybe it does vary that much from venue to venue.

not trying to offend anyone, my apologies if i get anyone bent out of shape. just see some really really stupid posts/responses from individuals frequently on this board, and probably wrongly assumed such in this case. my bad amazinglygraceless.

I'm not bent out of shape, first of all. It's just with all apps we have to realize that the experience from one user to the next can be wildly different.
    No harm, no foul
    06-18-08 05:04 PM
    lol this is crazy im just gonna use a protractor some map pens and a compass lol
    06-22-08 01:17 AM
    Fifty meters, with sufficiently strong signal, is more than just a little off
    depends how much signal you have
    at my house and in the town i live in it is within 3 meters all the time =-)
    but when i went to cape cod its usually 50 lol and i always had 2 bars there
    but right i cant speak on any other free gps aps because its the only one i used so far =-)
    08-03-08 03:30 AM
    I believe when the google maps burps like that its because your devices internal GPS isn't synching up fast enough to the google program and google defaults to cellular triangulation. Does anyone else agree with that angle?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-08 04:15 AM
    i agree =-)
    08-03-08 04:19 AM
    I'm enjoying Nav4All thus far.

08-03-08 04:36 AM
    I recently bought a BBCURVE8300 so excuse me if am I new. I have a pay as you go plan with rogers and yesterday I found out that I was able to go on internet and use maps by turning on Data Services. So I tried loading up the maps application on my BB. I was able to see some of the little cities around where I live but wasn't able to see street names. Is this because I do not have a GPS receiver on my phone?
    08-03-08 11:40 AM
    I agree with Graceless. The voice is great for a number of reasons, in my opinion, one of the being anticipating a turn. If you're a Sprint customer, you will get Sprint Nav for free with the data package, plus, and it's a big plus, their data package is now $10 less than before. Just call and make sure they update your plan if you had it before the changes went into effect.

Sprint Nav is probably the best navigation I've used and it's free. After that, I would place BB Maps in second, also free.

I've had problems with Google Maps. Sometimes it's right on, and sometimes I'm within 150m to 1700m. What gives!?

When I hear everyone say it's off by 100's if not 1000's of meters...are you using a GPS receiver (like bluetooth) to get your fix, or are you using the "my location" feature of Google Maps?

Do you all realize that the "my location" uses cell towers to triangulate your location (vague at best) and if you are using a wifi spot you are actually located by the IP, so you still aren't really using GPS?

Just wondering...some people thing 'GPS capable' is GPS...all that means is it can accept a gps data stream, not that you have the receiver built in.
    10-10-08 06:37 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD