Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    ..I would like to know the pros and cons of the BB from verizon.
    8830, or something, I believe?

Please dont say: pros, everything! cons, nothing!
    Because no offence, but thats not true.
    Name everything you can please,
    I might be getting the phone tomorrow.
    12-03-08 02:58 PM
    Its the Curve, btw.
    12-03-08 03:00 PM
    The curve by verizon is the 8330.

It says u have a pearl so the only difference will be the physical part of the phone.

Pro-
    Full qwerty keypad
    Bigger screen

Con-
    Bigger phone

Everything else should run the same as on the pearl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 03:15 PM
    You forgot one important pro, which is more memory on the Curve as compared to the Pearl.
    12-03-08 03:18 PM
    The curve by verizon is the 8330.

It says u have a pearl so the only difference will be the physical part of the phone.

Pro-
    Full qwerty keypad
    Bigger screen

Con-
    Bigger phone

Everything else should run the same as on the pearl.

I don't know why it says I have a pearl, but I don't have a BB, at all.
    Thanks tho!
    12-03-08 04:49 PM
    Not to be mean or anything, but you should go check out some reviews of the phone, from phonearena, cnet, phonescoop and even here.
    12-03-08 06:45 PM
    If you surf though the forums a bit you will see that there are very few curve owners that don't like it. I bought the Pearl as my first BB and was sort of sorry I didn't get the Curve. Full keyboard, more memory, little larger screen if I am not mistaken.

The Curve is a little larger and that was why I didn't get it before. I was used to little flip phones. The size between the Curve and Pearl I am noticing now is not enough to make the Curve any more trouble to carry.

All that I have read on the forums is that he Curve is probably one of the most popular BB's ever.

If I wasn't sold on the Storm I would go with a Curve.

Good luck on your choice.
    12-03-08 07:01 PM
    i went from a flip phone a long time ago to the treo family. i owned many many treo's in the past few yrs and i finally broke down and bought a curve.
    there really isnt anything i dont like about the curve.
    it is small but yet big enough to feel comfortable
    it is a fast phone
    the track ball is sooooooo nice.
    camera is good
    call quality is good.
    and the battery life is unbelievable too.
    it is a great

i dont think there is a better phone for the money out there.

i honestly dont know the cons for the verizon verzion, but on the damn sprint version dosent have pic mail. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why is sprint so un media friendly
    12-03-08 07:37 PM
    Not to be mean or anything, but you should go check out some reviews of the phone, from phonearena, cnet, phonescoop and even here.
    Oh believe me, I already did!
    For about 2 and half hours straight.
    I just wanted the peoples' opinion here from CB.
    12-03-08 09:35 PM
    i went from a flip phone a long time ago to the treo family. i owned many many treo's in the past few yrs and i finally broke down and bought a curve.
    there really isnt anything i dont like about the curve.
    it is small but yet big enough to feel comfortable
    it is a fast phone
    the track ball is sooooooo nice.
    camera is good
    call quality is good.
    and the battery life is unbelievable too.
    it is a great

i dont think there is a better phone for the money out there.

i honestly dont know the cons for the verizon verzion, but on the damn sprint version dosent have pic mail. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh why is sprint so un media friendly
    Just what I needed! Thank you so much! (:
    Oh and good thing about the battery life, because the battery life on my current Samsung Alias really does suck. It doesn't even last a whole 24 hours without having a low battery/dying.
    12-03-08 09:38 PM
    you have 30 days to test drive the phone, try it and if you don't like it bring it back. No matter how much people label out the pros and cons to you, you will not know if you like the device until you actually play with it. I also think its objectionable to the person what exactly the pros and cons are...here's mine

Pros
    Full keyboard
    More memory(than pearl)
    Personalization(themes etc)
    IM clients for purchase(BeeJive)
    MySpace app

Cons
    my battery life actually stinks, goes to almost nothing by 5pm and thats with moderate usage on beejive and bbm and some browsing.
    Last edited by ShortStop51001; 12-03-08 at 10:15 PM.
    12-03-08 10:10 PM
    Don't obsess over it too much. Blackberry's are great phones, the perfect mix between a "normal" phone and a smartphone. If you want e-mail, internet browsing, media playing, and just a great interface overall, this is the phone for you. It's not a like a RAZR where you have a main menu with 4 options (address book, SMS, camera, music) but it's also not a WinMo phone where it's got all the baggage of a desktop computer but it's REALLY hard to fit everything on the screen. The blackberry is a smartphone, and the Curve is a very consumer-friendly version, which is why it's one of the most popular phone in the world.

That said:

PROS/things I like
    e-mail - speed, formatting, support for different types (POP3, IMAP, webmail, etc.)
    internet browsing - Full HTML, though not quite a full-fledged browser like mobile Safari, it does its job well
    media player - play songs, pictures, videos, (converted) movies
    microSD support - add TONS (16 GB!) of storage space
    camera - 2MP, takes decent pics, and has an LED flash!
    3rd-party apps - all kinds of great apps that are fun or improve the experience, check out the CB App Store; the flexibility and expandability these provide cannot be overstated
    Docs2Go - edit Word, Excel, and Powerpoint docs!
    QWERTY keyboard - quick and easy to type with 2 hands and very manageable with one
    speed/ease of use/interface - BBOS is powerful and flexible, but also not confusing or time-consuming; it doesn't force you to stop and use it, like a computer; the bb is a real "on-the-go" device, like a smartphone should be (unlike WinMo or even the iPhone)
    OS updates - RIM still supports the Curve, even though it isn't the newest bb on the block
    trackball - it's so nice to use

CONS/things I dislike
    3rd party apps - they all cost $$$ and the selection isn't as great as, say, WinMo
    internet browser - it's not desktop quality; most sites will render reasonably well (and you can always use Opera Mini for the sites that don't): text works well, images usually work well, embedded videos and anything in Flash doesn't work; there's a mobile version of youtube, but it's not great; you'll love the internet browser, but it won't replace your laptop
    media player - videos need to be converted before they'll play, the default media player is a bit spartan (though i LOVE that you ca use the keyboard to search for artists/songs/albums!), one caveat: it doesn't support iTunes DRM (blame Apple for that, and get music from AmazonMP3)
    IMAP - there's no true IMAP support so you can't sort your messages into folders on the server
    trackball - it's pretty easy to get dirty and it'll probably break in 6 months or so, but new ones are cheap and removing them is fairly easy

All in all, it's an amazing device and I'd strongly urge you to buy it and try it for 30 days. You'll definitely be addicted to the crack!
    12-03-08 11:52 PM
    I just went from a Treo to a BB and I can say the transition has been great! Email is seamless! IMAP works btw. Not fully but enough that every message shows up everywhere unlike pop3 where your email clients are all in a race condition to see who can download first so none of youor other pop3 clients else gets the message.

There is a trick to setting up imap. Don't put in your email password. Setup will "fail" and ask you for more info. It is at this point you can go in and tell it you want IMAP instead of POP3 and put in all the other details. If you can live with POP3, bb email setup is about 3 clicks. If you require IMAP, add 3 more clicks. The best mobile email experience I've ever had. BTW, battery life on the 8830 is phenomenal. I have 80% charge at the end of a busy day checking email all day and talking on the phone, sometimes on speakerphone and sometimes on bluetooth. I do use standby. Standby will put your phone into a semi coma where it can gather email and ring but it won't respond to any button press except the mute button. The best keylock ever!

I suppose I should list some pros and cons...
    pros
    email
    stability
    size
    weight
    battery life
    phone performance
    very little need for 3rd party apps to fix gaps or omissions in the OS
    supports 8 gig microsdhc
    mini usb b charger compatible (you probably already have several)
    no 3.5mm headphone jack
    trackball - that thing is awesome - wait till you've used it a while
    OS layout and organization - almost always well thought out and logical

cons
    deleting a 3rd party app requires a reset
    only partial mac os x support
    limited selection of 3rd party apps
    unable to run apps from sd card
    unable to store email on sd card
    sometimes slow sync
    Last edited by r0k; 12-04-08 at 12:07 AM.
    12-04-08 12:00 AM
    Pros I would say is the nice full qwerty kaypad. You can type your messages fast with little no no mistakes. Con might be not as fast?

12-04-08 12:01 AM
    just moved onto a blackberry about a month ago

The negatives to me-

exposed keyboard, too easy to click on things by mistake and when I lock the keyboard I have to type in a code because I'm on a BES server. Which is hard to do 1 handed driving down the highway.

Dialing the phone is a PIA on the fly with the little buttons, make sure all the numbers that you use often have shortcuts.

Getting on all your e-mail was kind of a pain until you sort oout what you want and don't. I now use 2 comcast accounts 1 linked to my BB for stuff I want to see immediately and 1 for stuff I like to see but not necessarily while on the fly.

If your on a BES server all messages go into the message box and it mixes with your other e-mails. I did change is so my texts don't go into the same box but without buying software the BES and BIS inboxes are mixed together.

Curves camera quality is poor like most cell phones

Price- $50 mo for BES access and a small texting plan is pricey if your not going to use the BB features all the time.

Overall I like it but I can see why some peope still keep the BB and phone separate as it's not a great phone especially if you don't like using a bluetooth headset. If the phone functionality is your number one need I'd get something different but if you want to be able to easily text, check your e-mail and surf mobile enabled web sites it's great. I love the fact I can trade stock on my BB while at lunch or in the car, I rarely texted before but with the QWERY keyboard texting is easy.
    12-04-08 11:12 AM
    you have 30 days to test drive the phone, try it and if you don't like it bring it back. No matter how much people label out the pros and cons to you, you will not know if you like the device until you actually play with it. I also think its objectionable to the person what exactly the pros and cons are...here's mine

Pros
    Full keyboard
    More memory(than pearl)
    Personalization(themes etc)
    IM clients for purchase(BeeJive)
    MySpace app

Cons
    my battery life actually stinks, goes to almost nothing by 5pm and thats with moderate usage on beejive and bbm and some browsing.
    Thank you! I'm assuming you have Verizon..
    so, does the BB Curve come with a IM client already installed?
    I know for Verizon phones, theres a cheap little IM client.. but it will do.
    12-04-08 03:16 PM
    Thanks to every body!
    I really appreciate you taking the time and answering my question.
    I'm getting a BB around Christmas time
    12-04-08 03:27 PM
    As far as Smartphones go, the Curve is a fine phone, and works just fine as one, but the Smart part is where they shine, Palm nor WindowsCE (Mobile) come close the the "Just works" feeling of a BlackBerry

The only reason I have a Pearl is that Sprint would not let me switch from the horrid Mogul to a Curve during my 30 days.

The Pearl is an acceptable smart phone, and the form factor is nice, but I crave the extra 32MB of the CFMA Curve.

But really the carrier is also part of the BlackBerry experience and should be considered.

Verizon BB con$: Expen$ive, they charge more for less, and have ways to nickle and dime you to death, like locking the GPS and charging 10 bucks for it. CDMA makes traveling outside of North America a PITA, but in N.A. Expect good voice coverage everywhere except my living room, EVDO is more limited. Ruthless collections department, never miss a bill.

Verizon BB pro$: CDMA EVDO is faster then EDGE, they have a very solid network, and adequate customer service.

Sprint BB cons: Network switches seem slightly dated and clunky (only used Sprint since Jul and only in S. Nev. YMMV) if someone calls in at the moment you call out, the calls will fail. No MMS support, so pictures must be sent by E-Mail. Customer service is problematic, but definitely improving since I started service.

Sprint pros: Price $99 a month and never a suprise, haven't figured out how to run up a $270 single month single phone bill like I did with Verizion when my Mom had surgery. Good network coverage, including my living room, and reported to have the largest percentage of it's towers support EVDO.

TMobile cons: Network seems spotty (S. Nev exp. only), Edge (the GSM data protocol) is slow, like analog dialup slow.

TMobile pros: GSM makes traveling simple. Some GSM BlackBerrys can also use WiFi and do voice over WiFi (UMA), depending on you usage, TMobile can provide the least expensive BlackBerry experience. Adequate customer service.

Let the flames begin

12-04-08 04:15 PM
    Gosh, can I get wordy!

12-04-08 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD