So I've heard a few people mention around here that when it was time to get a new blackberry, they've called their cell phone carrier and talked them into making them eligible for a upgrade discount.

I plan on getting a curve (my first bb!) soon, since my birthday is coming up. I have Verizon ( I know I know, wait for the storm...well if I'm going to get a full touch screen phone, it'll be the iPhone, I'm just not into touch screens right now). To be honest I'm really waiting for the flip to come to verizon, but that's another story.

I did consider switching to at&t for an iPhone fairly strongly, but is it possible to use that to convince verizon to make me eligible for a discount? Who exactly would I call? How convincing would I have to be, and what are my chances of being successful? Anyone have any experience/tips?
    10-22-08 09:23 PM
    What is your eligablility date now?
    10-22-08 09:33 PM
    Errr, I'm not sure when I'll officially become eligible, but I got my current phone like 7 months ago. I usually keep my phones for the full 2 years, but I think I've hit the point where normal phones just aren't cutting it, I really want a BB.
    10-22-08 09:42 PM
    At one year you can early upgrade, but give up your new every two. There aew many factors looked at when making your type of request and generally requires Supervisor approval. This is not granted too often.
    10-22-08 09:54 PM
    Well I knew the time tables, but I was hoping that there were ways to get one early...just because the stories I heard were of people who just threatened to go to another carrier (usually for an iPhone) and were granted an early upgrade to encourage them to stay.

Oh well, thanks anyway. Anyone have any different input?
    10-22-08 11:13 PM
    I have tmobile and when I had a lot of issues with my Tmob Dash I told them that I needed something else or I would go. I explained that the termination fee was only about 2-3 months worth of bills and that I would gladly pay it in order to get a phone from another company. I received my Curve in 4-7 working days
    10-22-08 11:36 PM
    I'm trying to decide too on switching to a BB. I'm a long time VZW customer, and do have their new every two status. You can check out Verizons website and put in upgrade for your phone (that is if you are registered), and it will show the discount for all their phones. Currently the 8330 Curve has a $70 discount off the price, if that helps. The new every two promotion, which it doesn't sound like you would qualify for, further discounts the price to free.

P.S. I'm trying to wait for the Storm, but may go the BB8330 Curve if VZ doesn't give a release date soon. Good luck.
    10-23-08 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD