I'm new to BB's and I'm about to get a 8310 Curve from AT&T but I'm not planning to get a data plan.. Is that okay to use the Berry without a data?
    06-19-08 03:54 AM
    i think data plan is what gets your default e-mail push, BB Messenger, and BB Browser to work. There are some alternatives though... I just don't know how you will get charged if you will use a regular (default non BIS) data plan.

Nonetheless, my two cents SMS, Calls, and normal mobile features will still work. No BB whistles though
    06-19-08 03:59 AM
    If you're not going to get a data plan, you might as well just get a regular phone since that's all your BB will essentially be. You're just going to end up frustrated at all the things available to you that you can't even touch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-08 04:17 AM
    XD

I'm not planning to use it as a business/ internet device, Just a phone and texting device

xD I like the design and things on BB's and smartphones in general, but I don't want to pay the internet bills because I almost always have access to the internet at home...
    06-19-08 04:20 AM
    If you're not going to get a data plan, you might as well just get a regular phone since that's all your BB will essentially be. You're just going to end up frustrated at all the things available to you that you can't even touch.

agree. you would better appreciate its power though with one. not pushing you but just a thought from a first time BB user...
    06-19-08 04:24 AM
    A Blackberry without a data plan is just a plain old cel phone. Boring.

What brings a Blackberry to life is data flow. This comes in several flavors.

Internet access
    Blackberry highly secure push email
    Blackberry instant messaging

There are two components to Blackbery data plans. One is for Internet access and the other is Blackberry Internet Service for emails. Both are required for full Blackberry operation and depending on your carrier you can taylor these to your estimated data flow requirements.

You can get to the internet without a data plan but this is usually very expensive because it is unplanned and outside of a data plan agreement with your carrier so they feel free to stick you with exorbitant charges.
    06-19-08 04:41 AM
    To answer your question you can use a blackberry as a plain cell phone, some people will say you do not get the full experience of the BB. I see more and more younger (teens) using a blackberry as a texting device. I believe that they get it for the full keyboard. That is what you want then you should buy it, keep in mind that later you might want to try out the data plan and see the benefits of a truly wonderful device.
    06-19-08 04:48 AM
    To answer your question you can use a blackberry as a plain cell phone, some people will say you do not get the full experience of the BB. I see more and more younger (teens) using a blackberry as a texting device. I believe that they get it for the full keyboard. That is what you want then you should buy it, keep in mind that later you might want to try out the data plan and see the benefits of a truly wonderful device.

Okay, thanks!!

Yeah, 'cause currently I don't have a very eager need for internet use on a mobile device, but maybe later on I'll use it.
    06-19-08 05:01 AM
    Can't do it with Verizon...a data plan is required with a Blackberry because your phone connects to the Blackberry servers whether you want it to or not. I'd be very careful doing this, you stand a very good chance of being sacked with some very high data usage charges.
    06-19-08 06:52 AM
    Basically without a data plan you are left with the PDA features, phone, SMS, and installing software from desktop manager. Personally I like to be able to use the web, email, and GPS along with texting, phone, and PDA stuff.
    06-19-08 07:03 AM
    A BB w/no data plan is like buying a car and NEVER driving it!!! It's a must have

06-19-08 07:11 AM
    Its like having an iPod that you can make cellphone calls with....oppssss did I say that outloud?.....My Bad.
    06-19-08 07:57 AM
    I not sure if Att will let you but you can sure ask right. If you do get an 8310 can I trade you for my 8300 since you wont be using the GPS anyway? JK
    06-19-08 08:11 AM
    Tht makes the BB just a usual cell fone.
    They sell BB's without a data plan?

06-19-08 08:32 AM
    Since the BB is all about data, the BB isn't for you. See if your Cellular provider offers a free cell phone with a new contract and save yourself money.

06-19-08 08:56 AM
    I was surprised after I bought my Curve how many people think it's useless without data. I got it mainly to run medical programs I need for my nursing courses. It'll work great for that, and I'll have my phone too.

The data capabilities are very cool, but you can do a lot with it even without that. (That said, Google maps is really slick!)
    06-19-08 09:09 AM
    I know people on this thread think that it's stupid to have a BB without a data plan.

I, however, bought mine so that i could use it with the T-Mobile HotSpot @ Home service. It is one of only 2 phones that you can currently use with that service. Since I text a lot, I decided to go with the BB Curve over the other "plain" cell phone option that they offer with HotSpot @ Home. The QWERTY keypad helps a lot.

So, I had a reason to purchase it, and I'm enjoying it. I may not get all of the full BB features, but I also save a lot of money per month on features that I felt I didn't necessary need right now.

It's a personal decision, but I love my Curve for texting and calling, and I don't need all the additional bells and whistles of the internet and e-mailing.
    06-19-08 01:08 PM
    I know people on this thread think that it's stupid to have a BB without a data plan.
    To restore your faith in the community, I'll tell you it is absolutely not stupid.
    Yes there are things you will not be able to do without a data plan, but if those things are not important to you and you simply like the phone, it's size, features, no worries. You are paying for it not us, so take everything under advisement, but end the end, do what works for you. Even if it's a BB without data. It's still a pretty good phone.
    06-19-08 01:22 PM

Thats not true at all! Its amazing how many people keep saying that. If you get a BB with wifi then you can access the internet using any wifi network. Also, you can get an unlimited email only plan (Tmo has it) which costs 10 bucks per month and you're all set! You dont even need to look at a data plan. I've been using these two things for months and am happy as ever.
    06-19-08 01:24 PM
    Yeah, I'd prefer BB over some cheap, free phone anytime.. Even if it doesn't have a data plan, I'll still use some of the features..

Thanks for everyone's opinions on my situation!!
    06-19-08 08:52 PM
    AT& T required 6 months of data plan to get the phone on my 2 year contract.
    06-19-08 10:11 PM
    BIS is awesome and it has many advantages, you should at least try it for a month and see if you like it, you can always turn the BIS off and enable regular sms texting again.
    06-19-08 10:19 PM
    Thats not true at all! Its amazing how many people keep saying that. If you get a BB with wifi then you can access the internet using any wifi network. Also, you can get an unlimited email only plan (Tmo has it) which costs 10 bucks per month and you're all set! You dont even need to look at a data plan. I've been using these two things for months and am happy as ever.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking forward to now that CB released a statement saying that in July the Curve 8320 might come to AT&T, I'll wait it out for that in July and just get that.. Because I'd probably use WiFi from time to time..
    I'll probably at least try the data plan for a month or so and see if I like it.

Oh, and btw, does anyone know if BB accepts SIM cards from China? Because I travel there sometimes on vacation with my family and I kinda want to use my phone there when I'm there.. Anyone know? And these aren't yearly contract SIMs, these are prepaid SIM cards
    06-20-08 01:01 AM
    wait, so you can use the wifi without a data plan or t-mobile hotspots @ home thing? I tried the wifi the other day and i think it might have worked (either that or edge was doing it) but i got onto google and searched a few things. Anyway, i got scared that i'd get charged some fee since i don't have a data plan and got out of the browser. ANYWAY, again the question is: If no data, and no hotspots @ home (for t-mobile), can you use wifi (say in a university setting) without being charged a fee?
    06-20-08 04:25 AM
    wait, so you can use the wifi without a data plan or t-mobile hotspots @ home thing? I tried the wifi the other day and i think it might have worked (either that or edge was doing it) but i got onto google and searched a few things. Anyway, i got scared that i'd get charged some fee since i don't have a data plan and got out of the browser. ANYWAY, again the question is: If no data, and no hotspots @ home (for t-mobile), can you use wifi (say in a university setting) without being charged a fee?

Yeah, it works without being charged
    06-20-08 10:31 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD