I've got a 8310 that is having an interesting problem. Something happened to it and it won't boot up anymore. All I see is a big vertical battery icon in the middle of the screen with a red line through it.

That doesn't sound good to me. I'd swap out a known good battery into it, but I'm afraid something is wrong internally on the BB and it will short/discharge/damage a diff battery.

If I just have it plugged into a USB cable and a PC, w/o a battery, I get that icon on the screen. If I put a battery in, and connect it to a PC, the BB won't even boot.

It's out of warranty, is it in paperweight mode?
    10-20-09 03:05 PM
    Try a new battery. Your device will not short the battery. Batteries go bad. Replace them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 04:55 PM
    The BB starts to bootup, the hourglass icon flashes just briefly, and then it restarts the boot cycle. This happens over and over.

Paperweight mode?
    10-21-09 01:42 AM
    Since I do not have more than 10 posts you will have to find it yourself LOL look in the lectures section number 12
    10-21-09 07:13 AM
    Ok, I'm following the instructions and using Loader.exe.
    Not working. I can get the App Loader to get to the point where it shows USB-PIN:UNKNOWN and I hit next, but then the App Loader is asking for the applications to be installed. I click on the Next button and it asks for the location of .alx or .ali files. I have used this install of the DM to upgrade my other BB to the latest OS so I don't know what I am missing.

I think the BB is just toast, aka paperweight mode.
    10-23-09 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD