My BB USB connection won't work--I posted my problem earlier in the week--and a regular poster suggested (correctly) that it must be my PC, not my BB. My question is that the error I get seems to imply there's a driver missing and that's why I can't connect. I did a google search and found an old 2005 driver from RIM that I downloaded and installed. Still won't work. Anyone know how to correct this problem?

Vince
    03-28-08 01:30 PM
    What was the error?
    03-28-08 02:32 PM
    "USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and WIndows does not recognize it."
    03-28-08 02:42 PM
    Hope SunKasts is around! If not, has anyone experience with the above situation?
    03-28-08 03:19 PM
    Are you plugging it into a USB or or into a USB port directly on the computer?
    03-28-08 04:01 PM
    Into a USB splitter that goes directly to a USB port on the computer.
    03-28-08 04:22 PM
    When you plug in your BB, do get a message on the screen of your BB saying the "usb connection is not sufficient enough to charge", something similar to that. If yes then it is definately driver conflicts, esepcially if you are running Vista. I had these issues since day one, i tested it out on my other system running XP and everything connected and worked fine. If you are running vista, uninstall "everything" related to BB from your comp. Install vista update SP1. Find windows automatic update and click on update and wait for the SP1. After I did the SP1 update on my vista comp, everything works fine. If you are getting no messages or the charging indicator is not showing in your BB when its plug via usb, then it can be the usb port or hub of your comp.
    03-28-08 04:24 PM
    I'm using XP, have all the updates downloaded. It charges fine, but won't connect.
    03-28-08 04:26 PM
    Not connecting through DM or app loader. I know you probably went through tons of troubleshooting, but have you tried to install your specifc carrier and model's "Device Software". Just installing DM alone will not let your pc communicate with your BB. If you have tried all of these, then I am just as stumped as you.
    03-28-08 04:29 PM
    Into a USB splitter that goes directly to a USB port on the computer.
    Try eliminating as many USB devices as you can. If it doesn't need to be connected, unplug it. Get rid of the hub. Plug the phone in directly to a USB port on your computer with no other USB devices connected.

If it works, then you have somewhere you can start looking for what the problem is.
    03-28-08 04:36 PM
    No, I have not--good suggestion! Will do now and let you know what happens. Yes--tons of time spent trying to figure this one out! Thanks for your help!!!!!

Vince
    03-28-08 04:37 PM
    No luck. Tried plugging the BB directly via USB into an open port without success. Didn't see any drivers/updates on the Cingular Wireless site...Dang...
    03-28-08 05:09 PM
    Did you unplug every other USB device that you had plugged in?

You aren't gonna find the drivers by themselves. They are bundles with Desktop Manager.
    03-28-08 05:17 PM
    Download the device software form this link:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do
    its specific for the 8310 from At&t.
    03-28-08 05:21 PM
    Sunkast--HOPE I have it fixed. I did unplug every USB device and that failed. HOWEVER, I used a different USB connection cord and it worked! NOW, I tried this once before and no dice. So keep your fingers crossed. 613JDM--the link is corrupt--could you recheck it for me? If I run into problems, I'll need to take a look at it. Thanks!!!
    03-28-08 05:57 PM
    Worked long enough to backup my data, but down again. Need that link above!!!!
    03-28-08 06:45 PM
    What happened between the time it worked and stopped working?
    03-28-08 07:17 PM
    Was backup up data and the connection was lost. Haven't been able to reconnect via USB since... Still think there's some driver I can install to fix it. Even reinstalled the DM without improvement.
    03-28-08 08:59 PM
    03-28-08 09:07 PM
    alright, this link has to work found it and copied directly off blackberry.com
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

locate your carrier's link, click on it, click on "please select A product" drop down link, select Blackberry Curve 8310(TM) and then download blackberry handheld software.
    03-28-08 10:22 PM
    I'd like to thank both of you for trying to help me out last night! Unfortunately, nothing thus far has worked. If either of you happen to think of any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it. It's folks like you that make crackberry.com so successful and helpful!

Vince
    03-29-08 12:27 PM
    Final suggestion: get a new computer lol.
    03-29-08 12:33 PM
    Go to Windows Device Manager, in Windows XP that would be via right-clicking on your My Computer Icon > Manage > Device Manager

Scroll down to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", then right-click on each all entries below this header, and choose uninstall.

Remove all USB connected devices. Restart your PC, wait until it is completely loaded. Windows will automatically re-install the USB controllers. Then connect your USB devices.
    03-29-08 02:43 PM
    All, I have posted another thread with the same problem but wanted to wait until I talked with TMO BB support. I am convinced this may be a hardware failure. TMO BB support came to the conclusion that a complete wipe is needed if that did not work the Curve needs to be replaced. I am holding off wiping the phone because foolish me did not backup so I must save my contacts to the SIM and lose everything else. My problem is the same Curve working fine than one day will not connect error �USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED- One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.�

I have gotten this error on multiple PC�s with multiple cables. I have two identical Curves and the other works fine. So either something has corrupted the OS and a wipe fixes it or the Curve is bad and I get a new one.
    03-29-08 03:45 PM
    SUCCESS!!!! Thanks to both of you!! Suncast--you're suggestion quite a few posts up I FINALLY got to work! I moved ALL my devices that were on the USB splitter, plugged my BB into the sole USB port, uninstalled the driver, rebooted, and it works perfectly!!!!!!!! Many, many thanks!
    04-03-08 06:34 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD