Its a great all in one device but it does not seem to be as powerful or as nice as a stand alone PDA when compared to the old conventional Pocket PC, Palm Pilot, and HandHeld PC of the past (all largely out of production). My HandHeld PC for example as Word, Excel, and I have also TextMaker & PlanMaker which are almost as nice as some older versions of Word & Excel. It also has a clamshell keyboard which is easier to type. However its also very bulky.

So I guess the def of a PDA would depend. But certainly no smart phone could be as useful for those in some hospitals, military bases, science research firms, and other areas where one could use the power of a PDA and not have a phone. But I guess it all depends on what you are doing. My guess would be that those in these markets are such a minority, their demand was not enough to continue production of stand alone PDA's, and so most of them are turning to Ebay, usedhandhelds.com and other such places that sell older PDA's.

Thoughts?

Dont get me wrong I love my BB and for me it will REPLACE my Palm & HPC for carrying around in most cases. However I have not thrown them in the garbage for several reasons and use them from time to time.

John
    11-27-09 03:31 PM
    You should have a free version of docs to go on your phone or you can download it. You can view docs, excel etc.. but you need the paid version for creating docs...
    11-27-09 08:50 PM
    Also, as far as that docs to go is, it should grant you a free 30 day trial as well. I covers word, excel, powerpoint and even pdfs. It also allows to to create and edit documents, not just read them.
    11-27-09 10:13 PM
    I have docs but I cant create them only open.
    11-28-09 08:07 AM
    I don't anticipate doing too much with docs or spreadsheets on my Curve, but just in case, I created a "blank" word doc and a "blank" xls on my computer. I transferred them to the memory card. I opened them in Word to Go/Sheet to Go. Looks like it's going to be just fine, just in case I ever need them.
    11-28-09 08:17 AM
    The version that comes on the phone is a "demo" of sorts that only allows opening. If you in turn register the app, you'll be given a 30 day "trial" that is pretty much full fledged. If at the end you want to keep it, the app costs between 30 and 60 bucks depending on the deals running. Guess they like to do it by degrees.
    11-28-09 09:21 AM
    I don't anticipate doing too much with docs or spreadsheets on my Curve, but just in case, I created a "blank" word doc and a "blank" xls on my computer. I transferred them to the memory card. I opened them in Word to Go/Sheet to Go. Looks like it's going to be just fine, just in case I ever need them.
    This is what I do as well. Add a blank word doc and spreedsheet to the memory card. You can edit any doc or sheet and having a blank one lets you "create" a new one even with the free version of Doc/Sheets/PowerPoint to Go.
    11-28-09 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD