Hey everyone. I can not for the life of me figure out why I cant get any tones for the first new message from somebody. I've been searching google and this site for answers, and all I can conclude is that this is a glitch in the 8330 OS.

I can assure that I'm:

-Set to available
    -In the advanced options I'm set to tone and the volume is not on mute. I've cleared all my messages to make sure a test would show a new message.
    -I backed up my BB, uninstalled the messenger program, reinstalled it, and nothing.

Anyone out there have any more suggestions?
    Last edited by trahsub; 05-12-09 at 06:33 AM.
    05-11-09 11:16 PM
    What OS version are you running?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 11:17 PM
    Are you checking your BB profiles to make sure its allowing the alerts?

05-11-09 11:32 PM
    Are you checking your BB profiles to make sure its allowing the alerts?

Of course. No basic mistakes here, all of the basic stuff is covered. Operating system, I think its 4.5.0? I bought the phone last Thanksgiving and have not upgraded the OS yet.
    05-12-09 06:32 AM
    You might just wanna go and edit a profile. Here is a link to help with that...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ications-1623/
    05-12-09 06:39 AM
    You might just wanna go and edit a profile. Here is a link to help with that...
    Ive edited my profile many times, trying each different profile and all different types of sounds/tones/volumes. No dice.
    05-12-09 06:44 AM
    What OS did you say you were running? I know you haven't upgraded since you bought it but either type the word myver and hit spacebar or go to options>about and post that version here.
    05-12-09 06:54 AM
    What OS did you say you were running? I know you haven't upgraded since you bought it but either type the word myver and hit spacebar or go to options>about and post that version here.
    myver. . . cool!

I'm running 4.5.0.77
    05-12-09 07:02 AM
    myver. . . cool!

I'm running 4.5.0.77
    You could try upgrading maybe that will help.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-152163/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...evices-208149/ < This is the latest for the 8330. Some people have had some issues with the RF in which case a battery pull seems to fix it but it's not a permanent fix also the onscreen call timer is missing.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

Sorry for so many links but if you've never upgraded before these links will come in handy.
    Last edited by blackngray70; 05-12-09 at 11:46 AM.
    05-12-09 11:34 AM
    I would upgrade and see if that fixes it. I do know .77 was a buggy OS and had the "Speakerphone Blast" issue as well...
    05-12-09 11:37 AM
    Hmm weird I am running 4.3 and mine plays all the tones and what not. Too bad that BBM tone got annoying and I have that bad boy set to vibrate now.
    05-12-09 11:53 AM
    Hey everyone. I can not for the life of me figure out why I cant get any tones for the first new message from somebody. I've been searching google and this site for answers, and all I can conclude is that this is a glitch in the 8330 OS.

I can assure that I'm:

-Set to available
    -In the advanced options I'm set to tone and the volume is not on mute. I've cleared all my messages to make sure a test would show a new message.
    -I backed up my BB, uninstalled the messenger program, reinstalled it, and nothing.

Anyone out there have any more suggestions?
    Are you sure you're setting the "Blackberry Messenger New Message" as opposed to "Blackberry Messenger Alert"?
    05-12-09 12:45 PM
    Sorry for so many links but if you've never upgraded before these links will come in handy.
    OK, I've downloaded V4.5.0.131 and was attempting to upgrade my OS using the basic procedure in your first link, but even when selecting 131 in the DM menu, a note came up that I don't need any updates at this time. Do I need to wipe my BB to get v131 on there?
    05-12-09 12:53 PM
    Are you sure you're setting the "Blackberry Messenger New Message" as opposed to "Blackberry Messenger Alert"?
    I was making that mistake until 30 seconds ago. Couldn't remember how to correct it. Thanks all.
    05-12-09 12:59 PM
    OK, I've downloaded V4.5.0.131 and was attempting to upgrade my OS using the basic procedure in your first link, but even when selecting 131 in the DM menu, a note came up that I don't need any updates at this time. Do I need to wipe my BB to get v131 on there?
    If you're running DM v4.7 then you need to disable your internet connection before running DM.

Also, make sure you delete the vendor.xml file located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

05-12-09 01:25 PM
    I think I may need some hand holding. The good news is that I successfully blew out the old OS, and installed a new OS and was able to get all my profiles back to how they were.

The bad news. . . It reinstalled 4.5.0.77 somehow?? I removed from add/remove programs the .77 version, where did it find the app to install it? Do I have to do something in DM so that .77 is not installed?
    05-12-09 08:04 PM
    I think I may need some hand holding. The good news is that I successfully blew out the old OS, and installed a new OS and was able to get all my profiles back to how they were.

The bad news. . . It reinstalled 4.5.0.77 somehow?? I removed from add/remove programs the .77 version, where did it find the app to install it? Do I have to do something in DM so that .77 is not installed?
    Did you use DM v4.7?

If so that is why. DM v4.7 checks the internet for the latest carrier specific OS for your device which is .77.

Re-download the OS you want delete the vendor.xml file and disable your internet connection before running DM.

DM v4.5 or 4.6 are what you should be using
    05-12-09 09:01 PM
    Ahhh. I misunderstood earlier and disabled the internet connection on my hand held. Back to the drawing board!
    05-12-09 09:21 PM
    Lol, you should be good to go now

05-12-09 09:43 PM
    Well, after some nice people helped me on this board, I'm upgraded to .131. It was a good learning experience to know how to do the upgrades, but unfortunately, I still have my original issue in the fact that I can't get any tones when I get [messenger - alerts]. I made sure to check that tones are set, no mute, available, but it's still not giving me no sounds.

Not a huge issue, but the sounds worked at one point with alert and they just stopped working one day. If anyone else experiences this problem and figures out how to fix it I'd love to hear.

Chris
    05-13-09 12:01 AM
    I noticed that you keep saying alert.

There is also a Messenger-New Message setting just below the Messenger-Alert setting, did you check that one?

05-13-09 12:19 AM
    I noticed that you keep saying alert.

There is also a Messenger-New Message setting just below the Messenger-Alert setting, did you check that one?

Messenger-New Message works, but I prefer just getting the tone on the initial new message from someone.
    05-13-09 06:26 AM
    Messenger-New Message works, but I prefer just getting the tone on the initial new message from someone.
    I think that is your problem. Message -Alert only works when a contact has been busy or unreachable and you hit the menu key and select set alert. When they become unbusy or reachable again, you receive an alert and a pop up message that says "Renocat is now available, would you like to send a message?"

Your regular Messenger-New Message tone should play for the first and all messages you receive.
    05-13-09 09:27 AM
    So you just want to hear a tone on the initial or first message and that's it?

I don't think that's possible.

The tone is going to play everytime you receive a message.

05-13-09 01:32 PM
    That is the case for sure. I have a work BB and a personal so I can test that way. I misunderstood msgr-alert all this time. Thanks for the explanation.
    05-13-09 05:31 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD