so i've had my blackberry for about a year and a half and i have admittedly kinda beat the crap out of it (in terms of dropping it and having a bad tendency to sit on it since it stays in my back pocket), as it goes with me everywhere since it is my lifeline, especially when my friends and i are following/working our friends tours.

i noticed about a month ago it was starting to do some funny things. my trackball would scroll but no longer select (which has become a permanent annoyance), and then, when i would send texts or use any sort of application that would send information (twitter, for instance), it would bring the menu up while i was in the middle of typing a word and send. the problem has since abated but it pops up here and there, which is frustrating. nobody likes getting texts that say 'hey hows i' followed by four more to get the actual message across. there was also a point when the screen stopped working for an hour or two, but i haven't noticed a problem with that since. the most recent and troubling thing is that now, my blackberry will randomly decide to start writing blank emails. this morning between 3:50 and 4 am it 'wrote' innumerable blank emails - no recipient, no subject, no text, completely blank, and they just sit unsent in my message box. this is the longest time frame in which its done this; usually it's a minute or two. it's happened quite a few times and in the rare instances i catch it happening, there's no way to make it stop.

obviously there's something wrong, but i'm just wondering if there is any help whatsoever out there before i have to just give up the ghost and get myself a new one.

thanks for any help or advice :]
    05-24-09 12:33 PM
    Well...this is going to come off rude...but oh well...

As someone who has been in the cell phone industry for years the first thing I'm going to tell you is QUIT TREATING YOUR PHONES LIKE ****. Its an electronic device. Just like your TV. Would you drop your TV? No. It really ticks me off when people come in to me with phones that are all beat up. I have had probably 100 different phones over the last 6 years and every single one of them has still looked brand new by the time I switched to my next phone. There is absolutely no excuse for it.

Now...with that said...

You need to make an insurance claim or buy a new blackberry...yours is messed up. There is no way to fix the issues you are speaking of other than MAYBE reloading your OS...but even that would only probably fix some of your issues and not all of them.
    05-24-09 01:11 PM
    You really should consider getting an OEM holster with a belt clip to carry your BB and just clip it to your belt or your pocket.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 01:15 PM
    I'm worse because I've actually punched and thrown my BlackBerry a couple of times.
    05-24-09 03:46 PM
    I couldn't have said it better than amosrock. I agree with everything he said. I'm also the same way with phones. I treat them just as I'd treat my laptop or tv or whatever. To the OP good luck fixing your phone.

05-24-09 03:50 PM
    I'm worse because I've actually punched and thrown my BlackBerry a couple of times.

Thats one difference....I am actually somewhat ok with this as long as you have insurance. I have thrown 3 treo 650's and a motorola V505....I don't think I would ever throw my precious blackberry though lol

Having anger issues and throwing stuff is different than just flat out being careless...Still it really shouldn't happen but a lot of people can't control that.
    05-24-09 03:51 PM
    LOL, this is my kinda thread! I say phones are meant to be victimized! Its comforting and it enables you to stay focused on upcoming equipment. You know you're gonna need something new at anytime. I just got a new curve and I hope it lasts long enough to get me through to the 9630! Remember, use it like you stole it! I guarantee a more adventurous experience with your Berry! You'll learn a lot along the way, that's just a bonus..
    05-24-09 04:09 PM
    LOL, this is my kinda thread! I say phones are meant to be victimized! Its comforting and it enables you to stay focused on upcoming equipment. You know you're gonna need something new at anytime. I just got a new curve and I hope it lasts long enough to get me through to the 9630! Remember, use it like you stole it! I guarantee a more adventurous experience with your Berry! You'll learn a lot along the way, that's just a bonus..
    Seriously....would you use your TV like you stole it? How about your iPod or laptop? I wouldn't drop my laptop...ever...my iPod looks exactly like it did the day I bought it...

No excuse for treating your electronics like crap. Unless you can't control your anger like mentioned above lol
    05-24-09 04:11 PM
    Seriously....would you use your TV like you stole it? How about your iPod or laptop? I wouldn't drop my laptop...ever...my iPod looks exactly like it did the day I bought it...

No excuse for treating your electronics like crap. Unless you can't control your anger like mentioned above lol
    My TV hangs on the wall and my Creative Zen sits in it's lil hole in my car. My phone is my communicative companion. I see it as the messenger and you can take it out on the messenger if you choose..
    05-24-09 04:16 PM
    My TV hangs on the wall and my Creative Zen sits in it's lil hole in my car. My phone is my communicative companion. I see it as the messenger and you can take it out on the messenger if you choose..
    Don't shoot the messenger dude...

Ahh...I don't feel good about that...too easy...oh well
    05-24-09 04:18 PM
    Don't shoot the messenger dude...

Ahh...I don't feel good about that...too easy...oh well
    It's a state of mind I choose to embrace. I have a hard time making decisions, so if I'm forced to upgrade equipment I win every time!
    05-24-09 04:22 PM
    i hear what you're saying amosrock, but i certainly didn't set out with an intent to ruin it. having it slip out of my hand or some other way fall on occasion was always accidental. there's a couple minor surface scratches but it looks almost as pristine as the day i bought it. as for the sitting on it thing, well, yeah, that's always on me. i was considering reloading the os, i just wanted to see if it would be a pointless exercise.

and just out of curiosity, why so many phones!
    05-25-09 12:11 AM
    Keeping your BB in your back pocket has probably contributed to the problem you are having with the trackball click mechanism. The tiny microswitch under the tracball is probably smashed from the pressure exerted on it from sitting on it.

05-25-09 12:51 AM
    Aw c'mon now. Tell me you didn't really sit on the BB! :/
    05-25-09 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD