I'm going to d/l the BB Desktop Manager for my Curve 8320. My question is, Is Media Manager ("MM") worth putting on my PC? Any real benefits to it?

A quick search on this forum showed a lot of posts with problems regarding MM.

Also, Is there a way to drag and drop files with without MM?
    11-15-08 04:47 PM
    Go without. Mass media storage is what you're looking for.
    11-15-08 04:51 PM
    I will second that
    11-15-08 04:52 PM
    All Media Manager ever did for me was take up space and install an "updater" app that runs every time I start my desktop.

Consider this a third vote for WITHOUT.
    11-15-08 06:18 PM
    #4 vote for Without.
    11-15-08 06:20 PM
    I like it with out also, soooooo much easier and quicker to transfer.
    I dont even have to start DM to transfer stuff.
    11-15-08 06:20 PM
    ummm if you go without how do you transfer songs and ringtones from computer to BB?
    11-15-08 06:31 PM
    Thru the E drive. Enabled Mass Storage mode. Its very simple, even *I* figured it out by myself LOL, just plug in the BB. and go to town.
    11-15-08 06:32 PM
    ummm if you go without how do you transfer songs and ringtones from computer to BB?
    Set your memory card up as mass storage and then just drag and drop the way
    you would with any other flash drive.

Oh and consider me a without Media Manager also.
    11-15-08 06:34 PM
    Thru the E drive. Enabled Mass Storage mode. Its very simple, even *I* figured it out by myself LOL, just plug in the BB. and go to town.
    Set your memory card up as mass storage and then just drag and drop the way
    you would with any other flash drive.

Oh and consider me a without Media Manager also.
    Thanks, going to try it now!!!! About how many songs can you get on a 2g memory card? Just so I am sure, how do I turn on mass media storage?
    11-15-08 06:44 PM
    another vote for NO media manager. the only thing i think it does is convert video to the right format... not that i have tested it, its just that it asks if you want to convert it when you try to copy so i am not sure exactly what that is all about.
    MSM is way easier... drag.... drop... done
    11-15-08 06:44 PM
    Thanks, going to try it now!!!! About how many songs can you get on a 2g memory card? Just so I am sure, how do I turn on mass media storage?
    I don't know about how many songs.
    Turn it on when you plug it into the comuter, it should prompt you unless you turned that off. If you did, you can change it from:
    options>Media Card> Mass Storage Mode Support
    and then have it prompt you with the next option down.
    11-15-08 07:02 PM
    Without here guys, way better...
    11-15-08 07:07 PM
    When mass media storage is on it says my media card is not available????
    11-15-08 07:33 PM
    I guess i'll be the lone dissenter...
    I have used it on occasion, either a movie wouldn't encode right without it (mouths and movie didn't time), or I accidentally put a podcast on my BB itself with Opera, DM Media manager IS the only program that you can use to access media internal to the phone. it's nice to have the option and if you don't need it, it really doesn't use that much space...just my .02
    11-15-08 07:37 PM
    Got It To Work!!!!!!
    11-15-08 07:47 PM
    Good stuff guys, thnx.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 07:54 PM
    Hi,

Is it still only DM 4.2 SP1 that allows media manager to decrypt (*.rem) files from SD Card or does 4.6 bring this back?

I have an IT Policy that forces SD Card encryption :-(

1. drag and drop to PC
    2. rename (remove *.rem)
    3. file is decrypted and viewable/playable on PC

Alternative it single files via bluetooth or email/IM

Thanks.
    01-22-09 03:20 PM
    I have it with. I got the latest version, don't remember the #, but I got it with the media manager and running it on Vista. I have not had ANY problems with it.

I just drag and drop as mass storage for my music, but I need to convert TV shows that I have. I tried several video conversion programs, but in my experience the bundled Media Manager converts them the most efficiently (good quality, great file size, and perfect audio sync).
    01-23-09 09:46 AM
    It gives you an option to convert videos for optimal playback ( who doesn't want optimal playback?)... thats a great feature that seems to work better then any 3rd party apps... Only FLN (flash) videos need a 3rd party converter other wise.
    01-23-09 10:44 AM
    I agree with flamz...and welcome to crackberry!
    01-23-09 11:43 AM
    Media manager is horrible. A waste of space.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 11:45 AM
    Personally, I don't use media manager (takes up alot of space).
    01-23-09 11:53 AM
    When you install the software on your computer, does it give you the option of only installing the desktop manager??
    01-23-09 12:30 PM
    I believe there are separate download links for with and without on the site.
    01-24-09 06:13 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD