I have a Treo and am considering the Curve. It will be my first BB. I need a new phone desperately (my Treo is slowly crapping out on me) and thought I settled on the Curve today. However, I just read something on another message board that I truly cannot believe to be true. That's why I registered and am posting here.

Must I have a data plan to have a BB? Initially, for the first month or two (until I start working again), I do not need the data/email/internet plan for the extra 29.99 a month with Verizon. Can I just continue with my 1350 voice plan and use my new BB or must I have some type of data plan in addition to a voice plan?

Also, I am eligible for the $100 NE2 plus I see there is a $70 online discount for the Curve. Are there any other discounts going on now? I know when I called yesterday, the rep said no but maybe some knows some 'inside info' I can ask about.

Lastly, if I buy online, is it difficult to hook up my aol email when I eventually turn on the data plan? (I know if I buy in-store, they do this for free). Is there any chance when buying online, they will do the contact transfer for free in the store or is it much more likely if I buy the phone in the store, that they will do the free transfer that way?

I know it is a lot of questions, but I am new to BB. Thanks.
    07-13-08 02:17 AM
    It is true that you will be required by Verizon to get a data plan. Especially if you order online. Their system won't process your order until you choose a data plan! You USED to be able to get a rep in store to activate without data but those days are gone. At the risk of losing your $70 discount, you could try it...

Now, there is MUCH debate as to whether or not you can call back the next day and cancel the data plan... Some here say you can do that, others say no and even others say that you can but Verizon will put it back on within 30 days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-08 02:27 AM
    It is true that you will be required by Verizon to get a data plan. Especially if you order online. Their system won't process your order until you choose a data plan! You USED to be able to get a rep in store to activate without data but those days are gone. At the risk of losing your $70 discount, you could try it...

Now, there is MUCH debate as to whether or not you can call back the next day and cancel the data plan... Some here say you can do that, others say no and even others say that you can but Verizon will put it back on within 30 days.

well I guess if they force you at activation you could always cancel after the BB is live
    07-13-08 02:31 AM
    I find it odd that not one Verizon rep mentioned this after going to 2 verizon stores and discussing this very issue.

I wonder if I am forced to get the data plan at activation and then cancel, will I be allowed to and if so, will the phone then work?
    07-13-08 02:47 AM
    From what I have read, Verizon will not allow you to have a BB without a Data plan. Once activated, you can't cancel the Data portion, it's BB with Data or no BB without Data.
    07-13-08 02:52 AM
    This is so odd. It seems there is no defintive answer yet. I am heading to Verizon tomorrow for a semi-definitive answer. I don't even trust what they say in the store much but at least it will be somewhat of a 'company' answer. I truly cannot justify another 30 dollars tacked on to my bill when I am not working and don't need the web or emails yet. Unfortunately, I need a new phone soon and I would hate to settle for anything but the Curve because of this.
    07-13-08 02:57 AM
    All the VZW literature I read before upgrading to my BB, plainly stated that you are required to sign up for one of their data plans to receive any type of incentive/rebate etc. I would assume you could pay full retail for it without being locked to a data package, but don't expect to get your NE2 or any other discount without signing up for data.
    07-13-08 02:59 AM
    This is so odd. It seems there is no defintive answer yet. I am heading to Verizon tomorrow for a semi-definitive answer. I don't even trust what they say in the store much but at least it will be somewhat of a 'company' answer. I truly cannot justify another 30 dollars tacked on to my bill when I am not working and don't need the web or emails yet. Unfortunately, I need a new phone soon and I would hate to settle for anything but the Curve because of this.
    Go with what your pocketbook dictates. If you can't justify an additional $30.00, then you're not in a position to afford a Blackberry at this present time.
    07-13-08 03:17 AM
    All the VZW literature I read before upgrading to my BB, plainly stated that you are required to sign up for one of their data plans to receive any type of incentive/rebate etc. I would assume you could pay full retail for it without being locked to a data package, but don't expect to get your NE2 or any other discount without signing up for data.
    I picked up the literature today and it doesn't say a thing about the data plan being a must. I could have missed it though.
    07-13-08 03:29 AM
    Go with what your pocketbook dictates. If you can't justify an additional $30.00, then you're not in a position to afford a Blackberry at this present time.
    I disagree. The Blackberry is 49 bucks. There arent many really good PDAs for that price at all. I must have an excellent calendar on my phone and the ability to get email and use internet eventually. I just don't feel I can justify another 30 on top of my 80 plan for something I won't use quite yet. I guess I can always wait until the Treo really takes it last breath.
    07-13-08 03:33 AM
    Just try to do it online...you'll find that you can't. The data is required. I don't really see the point of getting a blackberry if you don't intend to use data with it. You might as well get an LG Dare. It has a pretty good calendar function and you can eventually add a data plan down the road.

Oh, and Setting up an e-mail account is a breeze.
    07-13-08 04:03 AM
    One thing that the VZW reps don't tell you is that they automatically sign you up for a BES data plan when you purchase your BB. The price tag for that service is 49 bucks. Its YOUR responsibility as the consumer to change your plan to BIS by calling Verizon and then your data plan will be billed at 29 bucks.
    Personally, I think that's pretty rotten as some people will have no idea that this is possible. I guess its just another way for these companies to make money at the consumers expense.

Last edited by NetNurse; 07-13-08 at 07:10 AM.
    07-13-08 07:08 AM
    I dont get the point of a BB if you dont want the data on it. If its you cant afford it right now then you need to wait until you can. To me i think its that simple. If you dont have the $$$ right now then you are already spending money you dont have. Shouldnt spend money until you have it in hand.
    07-13-08 07:27 AM
    You can not have a BB on Verizon's network without a data plan. Plain and simple. BB's really don't perform up to their fullest without the data plan (at all).

Buy a WinMo phone for now because you can block data on those, and you say you need the functions of a smartphone. Please, please do not go with Pay-as-you-go data, or you will be back here in a few months making a new thread titled "$4000 data bill! Ahhhh!".

07-13-08 08:31 AM
    **to Clear All Confusion You Can Not Have A Blackberry On Verizon Service Without A Data Plan!!! You Can Not Have It For A Month And Cancel It! It's Required For Even The Phone To Work. Verizon Wireless Has An Agreement With Rim Itself And Blackberry Will Not Even Activate Or Stay Activated Without A Data Plan! Call Customer Service All You Want, Complain All You Want But There's No Way Around It. You Can Waste Your Time Trying To Fight It Or You Can Read This Post And Save Yourself The Headache.**
    Last edited by Gbreeze; 07-13-08 at 09:19 AM.
    07-13-08 08:41 AM
    The question you should ask yourself is why wouldn't you want a data plan on a berry??
    The OP could just happen to like the size, form factor, etc of the phone.

Go with just a regular phone at that point.
    Despite the over-glorifying of the BB that goes on here it is just a
    regular phone

People just want to look important with a pda or a berry and have no clue how to operate it or use it for its purpose. So of course they don't want to pay for any data plan. It's all a status symbol with those people. Here's a good rule of thumb: If you can't work the remote in your house for your tv, you probably shouldn't get a pda or berry. Save yourself and everyone else the trouble.
    What in the OP's question led you to this massively insulting, uncalled for
    attack on their reason for wanting the Curve.

All the OP said was they need to replace a dying Treo and wanted to
    know if they could use the Curve without data. That question has been answered.
    But this last bit from you was just unwarranted. Sorry, but
    it was
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-13-08 at 09:03 AM.
    07-13-08 09:00 AM
    Sorry if i got into a rant, but I just get tired of seeing that type of post all the time. Everyone wants a berry but no one wants to pay for it, except for the people that know it's purpose. I am very passionate about blackberry and I just personally don't understand why anyone would not want a data plan with it. I am not trying to insult, sorry if I offened anyone. This was not at all directed towards the OP. Others had made comments like "Just activate the service and then cancel it." Which is untrue with Verizon. I just wanted to make sure incorrect info wasn't given out in those regards.
    Last edited by Gbreeze; 07-13-08 at 09:23 AM.
    07-13-08 09:17 AM
    And you MUST stay on Verizon? You can get cheaper plans on T-Mobile for the curve and unlimited data.

Just a thought because I've had Verizon and I don't like the way they have to squeeze every last penny out of their customers.

07-13-08 09:47 AM
    There is a reason it cheaper, not quite the coverage VZW has. Larger network, more dependable and reliable. VZW not not the cheapest, but better than most for things working in my opinion.
    07-13-08 10:46 AM
    what is the difference between VZWs two BB data plans... in laymans terms?
    07-13-08 10:57 AM
    The $30 is for personal use and covers your data use for mainly email and web. Also covers things like VZNAV, Pin Msg's, etc. which use data.

The $45 plan incorporates provisioning for use in the corporate world for the BES server.
    07-13-08 11:08 AM
    Wrong!!!!

VZNav is 10 bucks a month!! it is not included with your data plan. Please check this. I have the 30 bucks a month data plan unlimited and when I click in VZNav, it takes me to a screen and asks me to subscribe for 9.99 a month.

As for the Original Post:

You cannot have a Curve with Verizon if you are not going to add a data plan to your phone. You can have a data plan and no phone service, but not the other way around. This answer comes from a friend of mine that works for verizon and now has more than 10 years with that company, he was the one that suggested I ordered the phone online. Online, you get a larger discount than in the store.

For the person that mentioned the 49 plan for data plan, you have no choice but to do this online and then call to downgrade. It is rotten that this does not show up as a choice but remember that their intention is to appeal to business oriented individual and make you stay at that rate even if you have no need for it as you do not have enterprise server services.

When I called, they were the one that downgraded me automatically because I said I am not part of an enterprise server and do not use it for work. They were nice enough to tell about me about the plan when I had no idea it was that way.

As for the whole dilemna about getting a curve with no data plan, maybe you should hold on until you have the money. You said it would be about 2 months from now. I don't think that youre NE2 will expire just because you had to wait a couple of more months, it just means that your next NE2 will become effective on the day you purchase the new phone.

Hope this helped.
    07-13-08 11:42 AM
    not what I meant, yes VZNAV is 9.99 per month, but the data that is uses is included in your data plan.

Sorry for the confusion on my part
    Last edited by lastraid; 07-13-08 at 12:33 PM.
    07-13-08 11:45 AM
    Agreed, I just wanted to make sure there was no disappointment for being misguided.
    07-13-08 11:52 AM
    Thank you for bringing itup. Sometimes I type but my thoughts are way ahead of what comes out.
    07-13-08 12:33 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD