When I plug in my Blackberry Curve 8330 via USB cable, the computer does not do that 'bloop bloop' noise where it should recognize something was just connected. I am trying to connect it so I can perform a backup using Desktop Manage 4.7 and nothing works. I cannot seem to get my computer to recognize the phone nor will the desktop manager. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software numerous times and restarted the computer.

I know the USB cord works because when I plug it into the computer it starts charging my phone, so it's not the cord or the USB port (I've tried all 4 of my ports and other devices work, just not my phone!)

I've called Sprint and spent forever on the phone with them and somehow when the frustrated rep was putting me on hold to call Blackberry himself I magically got disconnected.

Help!!! (I have windows Vista)
    08-11-09 01:27 PM
    Try a battery pull with your BB plugged in to your PC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 01:46 PM
    Is your phone on Media storage mode?
    08-11-09 01:52 PM
    If that doesn't work, try another usb port, then another cable. usb cables from a PSP, or a digicam often work fine as well.
    08-11-09 01:53 PM
    If that doesn't work, try another usb port, then another cable. usb cables from a PSP, or a digicam often work fine as well.
    I've tried all 4 USB ports on my laptop, and even another laptop to see if it would recognize the device...nothing. I've also tried my old BB USB cord which has worked with my old BB and that didn't fix my issue. Neither cord works.

I've also done a battery pull reset on the phone. Nada.
    08-11-09 01:55 PM
    Is your phone on Media storage mode?
    My media card setting display the following:

Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: None
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt
    08-11-09 02:01 PM
    With your BB plugged in go to Start/Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Device Manager and open the drop down list for Universal Serial Bus controllers and see if your BB is in the list.

08-11-09 02:10 PM
    Take a close look at your usb port on your BB. It sounds like one of the data pins is bent/broken. The charging pin(s) are ok since you said the charging indicator comes on when plugged in.
    08-11-09 02:13 PM
    With your BB plugged in go to Start/Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Device Manager and open the drop down list for Universal Serial Bus controllers and see if your BB is in the list.

It's not listed there.
    08-11-09 02:16 PM
    Take a close look at your usb port on your BB. It sounds like one of the data pins is bent/broken. The charging pin(s) are ok since you said the charging indicator comes on when plugged in.
    How can I tell if one of the pins are bent/broken? It's hard to see in there to even tell...
    08-11-09 02:18 PM
    How can I tell if one of the pins are bent/broken? It's hard to see in there to even tell...

(I appreciate your help thus far)
    You might need a magnifying glass, lol. Get some good, bright light in there. Compare all the gold connectors in there, they should all look the same.
    08-11-09 02:20 PM
    Green1808.... I have the 8330 and had a hard time using DM 4.7. Try uninstaling it and using 4.5 or even the newest 5.0. I would only use 5.0 if you have the current OS on your BB which is 4.5.0.131

Tanker
    08-11-09 02:22 PM
    You should have five prongs.

08-11-09 02:25 PM
    Green1808.... I have the 8330 and had a hard time using DM 4.7. Try uninstaling it and using 4.5 or even the newest 5.0. I would only use 5.0 if you have the current OS on your BB which is 4.5.0.131

Tanker
    Ironically, I did try using 5.0 which I downloaded directly from blackberry, and when that didn't work, I thought maybe I should go back to 4.7 since that is the latest version Sprint provides for download on their site (I thought maybe, just maybe, there was a reason they weren't offering 5.0 to be downloaded) and still it didn't work. I do have the most recent OS on my BB.

I am so annoyed right now. This is getting rediculous. Maybe I should go back to using version 4.2 that came with my first BB. Maybe that will work.
    08-11-09 02:29 PM
    You should have five prongs.

There's definitely 5 gold prongs in there.
    08-11-09 02:30 PM
    Ironically, I did try using 5.0 which I downloaded directly from blackberry, and when that didn't work, I thought maybe I should go back to 4.7 since that is the latest version Sprint provides for download on their site (I thought maybe, just maybe, there was a reason they weren't offering 5.0 to be downloaded) and still it didn't work. I do have the most recent OS on my BB.

I am so annoyed right now. This is getting rediculous. Maybe I should go back to using version 4.2 that came with my first BB. Maybe that will work.
    Which OS is loaded on your BB
    08-11-09 02:31 PM
    DM 4.6 is the most reliable recent version IMO. But that doesn't seem to be the problem. The problem is that for some reason your data connection isn't detected by Windows/DM.

When you connect your BB to the usb, you aren't even getting the pop-up prompt on the BB asking if you want to enable Mass Storage Mode are you?
    08-11-09 02:32 PM
    There's definitely 5 gold prongs in there.
    You probably have a bad usb cable. Try finding another one.
    08-11-09 02:33 PM
    DM 4.6 is the most reliable recent version IMO. But that doesn't seem to be the problem. The problem is that for some reason your data connection isn't detected by Windows/DM.

When you connect your BB to the usb, you aren't even getting the pop-up prompt on the BB asking if you want to enable Mass Storage Mode are you?
    Good call! I have Vista and when I hook up my bb using the usb cable a window pops up asking......Auto Play Removesble Disk (F along with open files to view files or Speed up system. Does yours do that? If not try using a different USB cable
    08-11-09 02:44 PM
    Good call! I have Vista and when I hook up my bb using the usb cable a window pops up asking......Auto Play Removesble Disk (F along with open files to view files or Speed up system. Does yours do that? If not try using a different USB cable
    It sounds like yours is set to Auto for Enable Mass Storage Mode, mine is set to Prompt.
    08-11-09 02:55 PM
    I'm sure that's what I have it set too. I load picture and updates to my spreadsheets, much easier!
    08-11-09 03:04 PM
    Which OS is loaded on your BB
    I have v4.5.0.131
    08-11-09 03:19 PM
    You probably have a bad usb cable. Try finding another one.

I've tried two USB cords...the one for my old BB which always worked fine and this one (which has worked in the past).
    08-11-09 03:20 PM
    I've tried two USB cords...the one for my old BB which always worked fine and this one (which has worked in the past).
    It has to be the usb port, cable, or your PC doesn't have the proper drivers installed anymore.
    08-11-09 03:22 PM

No, I'm not getting any prompt whatsoever, AND my "Enable Mass Storage" option is set to prompt.
    08-11-09 03:22 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD