First off great site, lots of info here.

Ok here is the situation: My daughter is on my shared phone plan with unlimited internet access for her old HSPA+ phone. Now she got a BB 8330 for xmas and got her phone activated with no problems but apparently she cant surf the internet anymore because the BB requires a data plan to access the browser and such.
    I have been searching and reading for since she got this BB and have had no luck so here is my question,

Is there any way for her to still make use of the unlimited internet from her plan on this BB 8330 without paying more for a data plan? I tried to install opera-mini but it wont install completely as I think it requires changing something in the tcp/ip but this BB does not have a sim card so no good there either.

Think I covered everything. Hope someone can help.

Thanks
    Last edited by newfie4ever; 12-26-10 at 12:27 PM.
    12-26-10 12:24 PM
    You need to call the carrier and have the data plan changed. Whether or not it will cost more will depend upon the carrier and how much she was already paying for the data on the old phone. Most likely it will cost more, but the carrier will be the one from which to get that information.

You won't be able to install apps over the air (OTA) without a data plan. And that device does not have WiFi so there's no way to access data that way.
    12-26-10 05:50 PM
    Mama is 100% correct here, Blackberrys use a specific data plan called BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) and you need to add that to the plan for her internet to work.

If she had unlimited mobile browser, from using a non BlackBerry, that will not work as Mama also stated.

Good Luck!
    12-26-10 07:37 PM
    It all depends on who your carrier is. AT&T will rob you on charging for everything (data package) and so will verizon and others. My husband and I have Sprint and we both have BBs and we don't have a data package. Sprint Everything Package and its $139 a month (both phones included) for unlimited evrything including internet/text/calls to cell phones-we do share 1500 landline minutes but we hardly use 200 between the two of us. LOVE Sprint service!!!

Ok here is the situation: My daughter is on my shared phone plan with unlimited internet access for her old HSPA+ phone. Now she got a BB 8330 for xmas and got her phone activated with no problems but apparently she cant surf the internet anymore because the BB requires a data plan to access the browser and such.
    I have been searching and reading for since she got this BB and have had no luck so here is my question,

Is there any way for her to still make use of the unlimited internet from her plan on this BB 8330 without paying more for a data plan? I tried to install opera-mini but it wont install completely as I think it requires changing something in the tcp/ip but this BB does not have a sim card so no good there either.

Think I covered everything. Hope someone can help.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 11:57 PM
    Ok tks for the quick replys. I figured as much but wanted to make sure. My daughter is on my shared plan with Bell. We get 900 minutes a month between us but hardly use it as she uses text 99 % of the time (6800 text last month).
    12-27-10 05:00 AM
    Just giving a update on my situation here for my daughters phone. Well I finally got her a BB $40 plan which has 300 minutes (also sharing my 600 minutes on top of that) unlimited bb messenger, facebook, twitter, yahoo messenger, and some other stuff. Anyway they said she would not be able to surf the internet with this plan tho, which is ok but i installed opera mini on it and it works great for surfing the internet. Now the big question is will there be a charge for the internet usage? And if so I think its only 5 cents a meg, so not a big deal really.

Any thoughts? I am on Bell.

Thanks
    01-04-11 06:26 PM
    Yes, they will charge for the internet usage.
    01-04-11 06:56 PM
    Just giving a update on my situation here for my daughters phone. Well I finally got her a BB $40 plan which has 300 minutes (also sharing my 600 minutes on top of that) unlimited bb messenger, facebook, twitter, yahoo messenger, and some other stuff. Anyway they said she would not be able to surf the internet with this plan tho, which is ok but i installed opera mini on it and it works great for surfing the internet. Now the big question is will there be a charge for the internet usage? And if so I think its only 5 cents a meg, so not a big deal really.

Any thoughts? I am on Bell.

Thanks
    Like M-Mama said, they will charge for the internet and depending on how often and how much data your daughter will transmit using the OM browser, I'd find out exactly how much the charges are per mb or kb. However your carrier calculates it. Just a word of warning - charges could add up quick and be costly.
    01-04-11 07:20 PM
    I had the same problem. You can't use other networks on Blackberry since they have their own specific guidelines called Blackberry Internet Service in which you have to register with them.
    01-04-11 07:31 PM
    Since you have a social networking Blackberry plan on Bell and not actually a data plan itself the data charges is 5 cents for every MB so $51.40/GB if she end up using 1 GB browsing.
    01-04-11 07:48 PM
    the data charges is 5 cents for every MB
    wow! thats cheap per MB!

Verizon charges $15 per 150MB, which works out to be 10cents per MB. Sheesh!
    01-04-11 07:58 PM
    i have prepaid gsm. $60 a month everything unlimited. i cant afford that. or the $40/mo talk and text.. i just got a used bb w/wifi get prepaid card ($10 for 3 months) and use free wifi for data. use wifi for email, text messages, ect. i cant get skype to work, or ide have the cheapest phone service ever.
    my point is you dont HAVE to spend any amount of money,
    blackberrys do NOT require any extra money to be spent, and GSM phones can be reused, and had for a pence on ebay. prepaid service providers are affordable, and have a range of options. go GSM and you can easily upgrade or replace a damaged phone. and your used phone will retain value. blackberrys can be great for saving money while providing functionality
    01-05-11 10:44 PM
    Well the most she has ever used internet wise is 10 meg in one month, and she had unlimited with her old phone, so that would be 50 cents. I'll see after the first couple months and if its to much see will do without the internet surfing part.
    Thanks for the info.
    01-08-11 05:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD