My Curve was almost dead when I got to school this morning. I plug it in to my computer every day. It "seemed" as though this was charging the battery, so I stopped putting it on the charger at night. So I have a couple of questions....

1. Does plugging my phone in to my computer charge my battery?

2. Should I keep charging it at night, because that is a more effective way of charging my battery?

Thanks in advance for a response,

Anne
    04-23-08 08:08 AM
    It charges better from the outlet (more voltage), but as long as you have the desktop software on you computer it should charge, but not quite to 100%
    04-23-08 08:11 AM
    If it is dead in the morning I would say your computer charging is not working.
    04-23-08 08:12 AM
    Great, thanks for the responses.

I have been listening to music on it a lot more the past few days -- maybe that is the additional drain on the battery.

Anne
    04-23-08 08:16 AM
    It could be some settings on the computer, is the driver installed right, is energy save shutting off/limiting the usb power.

I see your dreaming of an iphone, my daughter has one. It is pretty and cool, but when she dropped it 6 inches and it cos $90 plus shipping to get it fixed, I realized it was not for me.
    04-23-08 08:26 AM
    If your battery is completely dead, USB charging does not work.

Also you can charge it all night and should not effect your battery as the charge stops at 100% to avoid overcharging.

USB charging does charge it all the way, it just takes longer than using the outlet.
    04-23-08 08:56 AM
    To hijack the thread for a moment, is it best to run the battery down before a full charge or does it matter? That is what I have been doing, but it would be nice to just plug it in nightly and stop worrying about how much life I have left throughout the day.
    04-23-08 11:40 AM
    I always find that when you use the comp to charge it doesnt charge fully not just bb but any phone....and im sure you dont need to drain ur battery fully to get the full charge maybe that was the case with the old phone but i doubt thats the case with the new phones......
    04-23-08 12:23 PM
    My Curve has a battery indicator and it shows a little lightning bolt when charging.

You can check your Battery status from Voice Activated Dialing or Options > Status.
    04-23-08 12:25 PM
    Lith Ion batteries should not be drained completely before charging. They should be charged nightly and never let the battery drop below 50% too long/often before charging again.
    04-23-08 12:31 PM
    Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A unique drawback of the Li-ion battery is that its life span is dependent upon aging from time of manufacturing (shelf life) regardless of whether it was charged, and not just on the number of charge/discharge cycles. So an older battery will not last as long as a new battery due solely to its age, unlike other batteries. This drawback is not widely published. ...
    How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Longevity of high-power lithium-ion
    Generally speaking, batteries live longer if treated in a gentle manner. High charge voltages, excessive charge rate and extreme load conditions will have a negative effect and shorten the battery life. This also applies to high current rate lithium-ion batteries.

Not only is it better to charge lithium-ion battery at a slower charge rate, high discharge rates also contribute the extra wear and tear. ...
    04-23-08 12:31 PM
    Thanks everyone...Is it safe to say that the BB's ability to charge so quickly is a bad thing? Because the above info. from Wikipedia says something along the lines of an excessive charge rate which I would imagine is what happens with the BB because it charges in a little over an hour!
    04-23-08 01:28 PM
    The engineers have to balance battery life and performance. Replace the battery every couple years or upgrade to the latest device is the choice.
    04-23-08 01:41 PM
    I never replaced a battery for a phone in my life because by the time the battery dies I get a new phone and I'm sure there a lot of ppl out there always getting the new version like for instant if the 9000 one comes out tomorrow I'm sure I'll go get that if it's any good that is....
    04-23-08 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD