I try to backup my personal vzw Curve a couple times a month in case something happens. Normmally I connect my blackberry and everything goes according to plan. However recently once I hit the "receiving profiles" portion of the backup I get an error "The data was not recognized by the device." As I said before I have been backing my blackberry up for months and have never had a problem until a few days ago. I have not made any changes to my blackberry.

I am on my personal computer running Windows XP an version 4.3.0.17 of desktop manager.

Thanks
    08-25-08 07:17 PM
    The first thing to check, did it save a backup file with that date stamp?

When I ran into a simular problem, the error caused backup to halt with no new file created.

You can overwrite the problem database with a restore from a previous backup. There will be some data loss.

If you can not tolorate that, note which database is causing the error and attempt a restore of that single database. Hopefully, it is nothing that contains unrecoverable data.
    08-25-08 08:21 PM
    how often should one perform a backup?
    08-28-08 04:03 PM
    How often do you accumulate important data?

For most of us, a weekly backup, the default in Desktop Manager will be adaqute.

However, If I backup on Monday, add new contacts and such through the week, I would hate to have a fault show up in the next scheduled backup.
    08-28-08 04:29 PM
    I back up weekly, but a few ppl I know do it monthly.
    08-28-08 07:12 PM
    Dumb question? Can you delete old backup files from the PC after each new backup?
    08-28-08 07:14 PM
    Dumb question? Can you delete old backup files from the PC after each new backup?
    Not a dumb question at all. Yes you can but try to keep at least the last
    two. Just in case the new one is corrupt or "damaged" in some way.
    08-28-08 07:17 PM
    each time you backup it will replace the old file with the new one
    08-28-08 07:17 PM
    ^but only if the file name is identical to the previous backup(s), correct? I believe my backup files are named by the date created.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-08 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD