I just upgraded my AT&T 8310 to 4.5.0.110 from 4.2 and the backlight to the keyboard and trackball are a little funny. At least with 4.2, the backlight ALWAYS stayed on unless the device was idling and then it would turn off. Now with the upgrade it sometimes stays on no problem. Other times I will be punching out a text or email and the backlight to the keyboard and trackball will turn off and stay off even as I type. Occasionally, the backlight to my screen does this but comes on again after a few seconds. The auto dim feature is off. I have tried resetting that a few times along with several battery pulls.

Is this something I missed as a feature with the 4.5 OS? I thought I read that there is a light sensor that may be causing this.
    12-23-08 04:47 PM
    My Berry is the same way along with lots of others, the trackball and screen dim / brighten when it wants to. Try placing your finger over the LED and see if it gets bright...
    12-23-08 04:50 PM
    Did you do this update thru ATT or right from BB, I have yet to update but if you have the chance see if you can reload all of that sofwear.
    12-23-08 05:02 PM
    I was just in a store and no backlight out in the open but when I put my BB under a shelf with a shadow, it turned on. When I cover it with my finger I get nothing so far.

I upgraded using DM 4.7. I guess I might try it by installing the software to my computer and then my BB later tonight.
    12-23-08 05:07 PM
    That's how they work.
    Go to Options >Screen/Keyboard>Auto Dim Light>On.
    I think that's it? I can't remember.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 02:04 AM
    Hah you guys didn't notice this the first day you had your berry! I'm pretty sure its working as intended

12-24-08 02:42 AM
    Hah you guys didn't notice this the first day you had your berry! I'm pretty sure its working as intended

My 4.2 never did this. I'm pretty confident it's a 4.5 trick. It's definitely a sensor in the LED. I was at the gym and when the backlight was off, I case a shadow over the LED and it all came to life.
    12-24-08 03:55 AM
    Nope, I had an old OS b4 4.5 and it did this. It's just a convenience built into the phone. When the light senser (in the LED) detects a bright light the phone screen gets brighter to deflect the glare. Also, if you're in the dark your phone lights the keys and such so you can type. It's sometimes hard to notice if you're in a "bright" light, but your phone isn't broken or anything...it's normal.
    12-24-08 05:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD