So yesterday I tried to back up my files , just in case you know? I open up DM 4.5 and plug in my bb. Once it's connected, I click back up and restore. It comes up with 3 new choices, backup, restore, and something else, can't remember. I click back up, and a little page shows up, which tells me of my progress. It runs smothly, till at the last second, it says "backing up files" then it says "error backing up files". How can I get this to work? Please help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 09:36 AM
    Odd to say the least. I have DM 4.5 and I have just, this minute, done a Backup. It worked.

Did your Backup result in a file called Backup-(2008-06-23).ipd? Obviously your date will be different.

If so, then some sort of backup was made. Copy this file elsewhere for the moment. We shall come back to it soon.

Please try the Backup again and when it finishes/fails, click the Advanced button and have a look at which database has failed to Backup. I think that you will soon see if you Address Book does not have the correct number of entries and stuff like that.

What I am trying to find, is what has gone wrong.

You can also open up the backup .ipd files with this piece of free software Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor It may also help find out what went wrong.

Failing that, fall back to DM 4.3 for a while.
    06-23-08 10:07 AM
    I suspect the error message also means the file was not created either.

I had a similar situation with mine, backup was failing. I rolled back the changes and still could not complete a backup.

My on device database was corrupt. There was a error message attempting to save a new contact and the Database failed.

The solution was to restore from a previous backup. I lost a little current data, but that is nothing compared to what would have been lost without a backup.
    06-23-08 10:16 AM
    Ok you guys, thanks. Well I'm not home now, but will be in like an hour and a half to try out everything you guys said. Thanks for the info

06-23-08 11:07 AM
    I suspect the error message also means the file was not created either.

I had a similar situation with mine, backup was failing. I rolled back the changes and still could not complete a backup.

My on device database was corrupt. There was a error message attempting to save a new contact and the Database failed.

The solution was to restore from a previous backup. I lost a little current data, but that is nothing compared to what would have been lost without a backup.
    And that is another great lesson on why to backup often. haha
    06-23-08 11:13 AM
    First Rule of IT: Make a backup.
    Second Rule : Make another one.
    06-23-08 11:47 AM
    ok, so i tried it again, and it turns out it isnt creating the backup file at all. it wont show up.so im gonna try to roll back to DM 4.3. ive never done a backup, and the most recent one is on 2008-6-05. now that is way too long ago. since it wasnt me, maybe it was when i was upgrading then downgrading the os? ok, ill try 4.3 and let you all know.
    06-23-08 01:45 PM
    After you have uninstalled DM 4.5 but before you install DM 4.3 go to C:\Program Files and delete the Research In Motion folder.

Now go to C:\Program Files\Common Files and delete the Research In Motion folder.

This will remove all of the traces of the old DM installs except for traces in the registry.

Now go ahead and install DM 4.3.
    06-23-08 02:03 PM
    ^^ Very True ^^

Pete is on the ball... for sure
    06-23-08 02:09 PM
    ok, got it. un installing now...
    06-23-08 02:10 PM
    deleted the files, now installing 4.3
    06-23-08 02:14 PM
    ok done installing, plugging in bb, connecting.done, back up and restore. back up...its doin its thing, the error doesnt happen till the very end... while its tryin to back up keepass for bb... maybe thats the problem?
    06-23-08 02:22 PM
    i had no issues with 4.5....try reinstalling it
    06-23-08 02:23 PM
    awwmna! a new error came up, it says. "communication error: the data was not recognized by the device"
    whats that mean?
    06-23-08 02:23 PM
    what do i do now? restore from my latest back up like stoner said? ouch, thats painful... i wont try it till i get the green light.
    06-23-08 02:26 PM
    ok, i think im just gonna go ahead and do it
    06-23-08 02:52 PM
    I'm having the same problem as curveoncracke. I connect my device, pull up backup/restore, click backup, press save, then the error appears..."error backing up database"..I notice that my save rejects as it's attempting to backup my "messages"....then it closes without saving.
    06-23-08 02:52 PM
    ya, me too, just with keepass for bb...
    06-23-08 02:53 PM
    This gappent to me when I had Jott installed. I deleted Jott and my backups have been fine ever since.

If you dapnt have Jott, I can almost guarantee that it is a third party software that is interfering with your backups.

06-23-08 03:08 PM
    ok, im gonna review all of my 3rd party applications, and see whats up with em... after im done restoring
    06-23-08 03:31 PM
    alright, im done restoring. now im gonna wait for it to reboot, then im gonna try to create a backup and hope it works.
    06-23-08 03:44 PM
    nevermind you guys, it didnt work. i guess im cursed to live life without being able to back up my blackberry's data. oh well. thanks for trying.
    06-23-08 03:55 PM
    As mentioned above, it most likely is a 3rd party application. Check the listed applications and databases by clicking Advanced button within Backup and Restore of the Desktop Manager. If you see a 3rd party application, select everything except any 3rd party applications listed by holding down the Ctrl key. After that, click on the "<<" button to bring the selected items over to teh Computer databases section and then to perform a manual backup with. If you're going to get an error message, it will happen while clicking the "<<" button and before even selecting the File menu and Saving your manual backup. After you've manually backed up your device, uninstall or update the 3rd party application that is causing your error message. The 3rd party application that gave me problems was KeePassBB (options and database object). Fortunately, I backed up KeePassBB before upgrading to v4.5 and will work with that to restore later on.
    07-28-08 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD