Hi! I just got a BlackBerry Curve 8330 (I'm a Palm convert) and I noticed there is no auto keypad lock. I downloaded the auto lock program from Geekandproud.net, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Is there anything else I should be doing after downloading it?
    05-09-08 11:48 AM
    Options, AutoLock, Enable should help.
    05-09-08 12:29 PM
    Thank you Pete6, but I did that and it still isn't working.

I downloaded the program directly from the site from my BB. Does this have anything to do with why its not working?
    05-09-08 01:05 PM
    I know the keyboard lock uses the backlight setting on the phone. Maybe check what you have that set to. Try to lower the backlight setting and see if that works.
    05-09-08 01:25 PM
    The program is installed, right?

I have an 8310 and I also use AutoLock.

gutierreze has a good point.

Here are the parameters from my phone. Maybe they will help.

Options, AutoLock
    AutoLock keys: Enable
    Delay after backlight shuts: 15 secs
    Action when plugged in: Don't Lock
    Action when on call: Don't Lock

Options, Screen/Keyboard
    Backlight Timeout: 30secs

This is a really reliable little program and I have used it on two devices.

The only other thing I found was that it asks for some permissions the first time it is run and you must say Yes. Did you do that? Trouble is, I can't remember what it said so I can't tell you where to edit the permissions in Options, Advanced Options, Applications, AutoLock.

Maybe you should try a battery pull which cures a multitude of ills on Blackberrys and needs to be done about once a week anyway.
    05-09-08 02:02 PM
    Ah ha! It was the permissions request at the beginning. I went into the applications and changed the phone to "allow" and now it works.

Thank you again Pete6 for your help!
    05-09-08 04:12 PM
    Cool, I'm glad it works and welcome to Crackberry.
    05-09-08 04:15 PM
    I just found this out.. you dont need a program to auto lock....

just hit alt+enter
    05-09-08 04:19 PM

just hit alt+enter
    AutoLock does what its name suggests, it locks the phone automatically after a use defined time without the need to press any buttons. That is why I use it. I just stuff the phone back into my pants pocket and it does not start dialing the world.
    05-09-08 04:38 PM
    AutoLock does what its name suggests, it locks the phone automatically after a use defined time without the need to press any buttons. That is why I use it. I just stuff the phone back into my pants pocket and it does not start dialing the world.
    ahhh gotcha!

never mind
    05-09-08 04:44 PM
    Default keyboard lock and standy on ALL Blackberries is also triggered by their pouches/holsters.
    05-09-08 04:49 PM
    You are right. I had one on my old 7290. My Curve was not delivered with such. The pouch I got had no magnet incorporated.

This is like the USB charging problem froma few minutes ago. RIM have the solution, they just do not ship the right accessories to make thier thought process a reality when you buy a new phone.

I am also far too lazy to switch the holster from belt to belt. I just wanted the phone to look after itself in spite of me.
    05-09-08 04:58 PM

just hit alt+enter
    That's how I did it on my Treo, nice to know it's on the 8330 as well...another icon that can drop out of the top 5!!!

So hitting the mute button on top puts the phone into standby (as does the holster, which I'm not a huge fan of using as it just increases the size of the brick). So why would we need to lock the keypad if we use standby mode which also helps battery life? Seems like it's one or the other to me, and standby seems like the better choice...
    08-13-08 12:28 AM
    So why would we need to lock the keypad if we use standby mode which also helps battery life? Seems like it's one or the other to me, and standby seems like the better choice...
    Locking the keyboard w/ a password is useful if you will be away from your Curve for a little while and you don't want anybody snooping through your phone. Probably acts as a theft deterrent also.
    08-13-08 06:18 AM
    I'd like to lock the keyboard on my 8330 without having to use a program. I tried Alt+Enter and it gave me the changing languages option. I turned that off, and now when I use Alt + Enter it opens my Messages.

Any solutions, or should I just install the wondrous AutoLock program? Thanks!
    01-07-09 05:36 PM
    I'm confused on mine I have a ico that is a padlock, I click on that and it locks the keyboard. To unlock I hit the asterik and the green phone receiver. Am I doing something wrong or right?
    01-09-09 02:36 PM
    I'm confused on mine I have a ico that is a padlock, I click on that and it locks the keyboard. To unlock I hit the asterik and the green phone receiver. Am I doing something wrong or right?
    You are not doing anything wrong, GulfcoastGuy. That's one of several ways to lock your phone. :-)

Some of us just want a keyboard shortcut that locks the keyboard, instead of having to scroll to an icon and clicking on it.
    Last edited by robynplusone; 01-09-09 at 03:33 PM.
    01-09-09 02:55 PM
    I just made one of my side shortcut buttons the lock button....works great
    01-09-09 03:29 PM
    I just made one of my side shortcut buttons the lock button....works great
    Yes, Berk555, but as it was stated before in this thread or a similar one some of us would like to use save the convenience keys for application shortcuts instead wasting one on something which used to have a keyboard shortcut assigned to it.
    01-09-09 03:32 PM
    My 8330 came with the BB Sleeve/Holster. Great concept of the autolock magnet, but I did not like the inserting and pulling out of the phone all the time... but still wanted to make sure that my phone was fully protected, so I got myself a leather case with the clear plastic protector for both, the screen and keypad - but no autolock magnet, from BlackBerrySource.com...

Thanks MarieKCox for the GeekandProud.Net and Pete6 for the settings info! No more accident calling to anyone...
    Last edited by RxL13; 04-21-09 at 11:50 AM.
    04-21-09 11:40 AM
    i have auto lock on my phone and i took it to sprint and they did a hard reset, now i cant get it to work any more. ive removed it reinstalled it, batt. pulls everything. could someone help me out?
    01-30-10 04:55 PM
    I set one of my side convenience keys to lock my phone.
    01-30-10 10:51 PM
    Ok, on my 8330m the "auto lock" feature is called "security timeout" and can be set to lock after 1 minute and upto 1 hour. It is located in options> security options> General settings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-10 12:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD