Evening, Ladies and gents- Site-noob here- here's my issue.....

I cannot upgrade my OS to 4.5. I have the 8300/AT&T. I have 4.7.0.32 Desktop Manager, and am no stranger to smartphones, syncs, OS upgrades (though I havne't done a BB one yet), or using the SEARCH feature .

That said, I have followed the instructions on the sticky in this section to the letter. I also looked it up on other forums. Not that I don't trust you guys.

When that didn't work for me, I searched again, came up with a possible answer. Answer being that I should try to delete the 'Research in Motion' folder, etc etc. Again, to the letter, didn't work.

Each of the above I've done at least twice. In essence, I've deleted the 'Vendor.xml' file, didn't work. Deleted the whole 'Research in Motion' folder***, also didn't work. It tells me that there are no upgrades for my phone at this time. But here's the screwy thing that's really pissing me off.... When I first loaded everything up to make the upgrade, DESKTOP MANAGER RECOGNIZED MY UPGRADE, AND PROMPTED ME TO DO IT. I was just about to do it, and remembered that I hadn't deleted the Vendor file; went back and did so, and from that point it no longer recognized it (that was the ONLY thing I changed). Since, I've restored everything and started from scratch, and nothing seems to work.

*** Re this folder, the folder wouldn't delete, so I tried to delete its contents. All deleted except the Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Auto Update, File: RIMAutoUpdate. I've tried everything short of pouring bleach on this file to get rid of it. I have Vista Home Premium/32bit if that helps. Again, all that was changed/deleted has been completely restored, and I've tried from scratch. Nada.

I'm really needing some ot the features this upgrade will provide. So, here I am, with the experts. Please help me. I know this has been discussed to death on here, but I couldn't find something to help me actually make this work. If I need to search again, not sure for what I should be searching.

Thanks...................
    12-15-08 10:05 PM
    So after reading all of that, it isn't clear exactly what your issue is. Is it that desktop manager doesn't say there is an update for your device?
    12-15-08 10:19 PM
    Evening, Ladies and gents- Site-noob here- here's my issue.....

I cannot upgrade my OS to 4.5. I have the 8300/AT&T. I have 4.7.0.32 Desktop Manager, and am no stranger to smartphones, syncs, OS upgrades (though I havne't done a BB one yet), or using the SEARCH feature .

That said, I have followed the instructions on the sticky in this section to the letter. I also looked it up on other forums. Not that I don't trust you guys.

When that didn't work for me, I searched again, came up with a possible answer. Answer being that I should try to delete the 'Research in Motion' folder, etc etc. Again, to the letter, didn't work.

Each of the above I've done at least twice. In essence, I've deleted the 'Vendor.xml' file, didn't work. Deleted the whole 'Research in Motion' folder***, also didn't work. It tells me that there are no upgrades for my phone at this time. But here's the screwy thing that's really pissing me off.... When I first loaded everything up to make the upgrade, DESKTOP MANAGER RECOGNIZED MY UPGRADE, AND PROMPTED ME TO DO IT. I was just about to do it, and remembered that I hadn't deleted the Vendor file; went back and did so, and from that point it no longer recognized it (that was the ONLY thing I changed). Since, I've restored everything and started from scratch, and nothing seems to work.

*** Re this folder, the folder wouldn't delete, so I tried to delete its contents. All deleted except the Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/Auto Update, File: RIMAutoUpdate. I've tried everything short of pouring bleach on this file to get rid of it. I have Vista Home Premium/32bit if that helps. Again, all that was changed/deleted has been completely restored, and I've tried from scratch. Nada.

I'm really needing some ot the features this upgrade will provide. So, here I am, with the experts. Please help me. I know this has been discussed to death on here, but I couldn't find something to help me actually make this work. If I need to search again, not sure for what I should be searching.

Thanks...................
    Hi Easy, not sure what your question is either, but did you try reviewing the thread on the new OS? It may be your DM version, or it could be what you're doing. The thread has very specific instructions, which I was able to follow and load the new OS onto my device w/in an hour. Hope this helps, and you'll also be able to find more veterans to help you with your specific questions. Good luck!
    12-15-08 10:22 PM
    Lol Sorry if I wasn't clear after all that- just a little frustrated. When I hit the 'Update software' button in DM, it tells me that there is no update for my phone.

It recognized the download prior to my deleting the Vendor file. After that it won't recognize it. I have even scrapped everything and started from scratch, and it does not recognize or prompt me for the download.

Neicy, I followed the instructions you reference to the letter. Several times. I've spent hours on this.
    12-15-08 10:37 PM
    Have you downloaded and installed the OS from this thread?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...guages-114559/
    12-15-08 10:41 PM
    Affirmative.
    12-15-08 10:56 PM
    Alright. Open Desktop Manager. On the top right click on help > about > device software. Do you see 4.5 for the 8300 listed?
    12-15-08 10:59 PM
    Alright. Open Desktop Manager. On the top right click on help > about > device software. Do you see 4.5 for the 8300 listed?
    Yes, that is there.............
    12-15-08 11:02 PM
    Oh I just remembered, you're using DM 4.7... 4.7 checks the internet and loads a second vendor.xml file. See the link below.

Fix Discovered for OS Upgrade Gone Haywire! | BlackBerryNews.com
    12-15-08 11:10 PM
    Oh I just remembered, you're using DM 4.7... 4.7 checks the internet and loads a second vendor.xml file. See the link below.
    A-HA!!! Thank you- I will try this, and hopefully post up in 45 minutes that it worked!!!

Tks again.....
    12-15-08 11:15 PM
    So far so good. It's starting to load now. Will update.................
    12-15-08 11:54 PM
    Sunkast- Thank you for the input- worked flawlessly. I now have 4.5. That last link you posted did the trick! Actually took less than the 45 minutes I anticipated, I've been toying around with my 4.5 for a while.

Much appreciated.
    12-16-08 12:54 AM
    Good to hear it worked. I should have remembered sooner.
    12-16-08 12:57 AM
    I just disconnect my PC from the web during the search for updates process. Once it's installing I reconnect and go on my merry way again. Much easier than the other method.
    12-16-08 06:13 AM
    I just disconnect my PC from the web during the search for updates process. Once it's installing I reconnect and go on my merry way again. Much easier than the other method.
    Lol I had that epiphany after the fact!
    12-16-08 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD