Has anyone done this? I have EV service. I was wondering about how fast it was and how well it works on a computer. It's an extra 10 dollars but I'm moving into a new place soon. I'd rather not even pay a separate cable bill for the internet if I can just pay 10 bucks and get it from the phone.

How does it compare to having a 3 meg DSL connection? That's what I have right now. When I move I would be having a 10 meg cable connection. But I don't really need all of that. Can the Verizon go 1.5 to 2 megs? That would be okay with me.
    04-15-09 10:27 AM
    Don't know about VZW speeds per say, but using Tetherberry with my TMO 8320, I'm down in the 0.2 meg speed. It' probably in the same range for other carriers on 2 or 2.5G. Speeds just using my BB as a modem are even slower.

Tetherberry affords faster speeds, because you're not using your BB as a modem, but are actually using it to connect to an online network (or something like that).
    04-15-09 10:33 AM
    Don't know about VZW speeds per say, but using Tetherberry with my TMO 8320, I'm down in the 0.2 meg speed. It' probably in the same range for other carriers on 2 or 2.5G. Speeds just using my BB as a modem are even slower.

Tetherberry affords faster speeds, because you're not using your BB as a modem, but are actually using it to connect to an online network (or something like that).
    Hmm. I'm getting mixed info. I'm reading on some websites that ev do will connect at 1.5 megs easily and some other sites are saying it's around 600k but has burst of 2 megs. The new ev do phones with REV A will go even faster but the blackberry curve does not have rev a. I think the storm is the only one.

Even if I get a connection at home I wouldn't mind getting this for my laptop on the go. At work we have Verizon air cards in our laptops. Does that work off the same signal as it does when you tether with a phone?
    04-15-09 10:41 AM
    I was thinking about just getting an air card like we got at work. But at work we have unlimited because we are a business. I checked with at&T and verizon and it's either 5 gb or 50 gb. I do a LOT of web surfing I need unlimited. The place I'm moving to probably has Sprint. Does Sprint have unlimited?

5 gb isn't much at all. I'd do that in a few hours.
    04-15-09 10:47 AM
    You will get a 5g cap on tethering or aircard. And tethering is $15 or $30 extra depending on the data plan you have for your BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 12:06 PM
    Use the tethering with your blackberry, I wouldn't spend the extra money on an aircard when you are already paying for the bb data.
    I use my bb as a modem daily. It really works great.
    04-15-09 12:48 PM
    I thought it was unlimited through the phone? 5 gb cap? That sucks. I read on another site that it wasn't the case.
    04-15-09 08:32 PM
    I thought it was unlimited through the phone? 5 gb cap? That sucks. I read on another site that it wasn't the case.
    Unlim on the phone 5GB soft cap when tethered. .25 cents over 5GB when tethered
    04-15-09 08:44 PM
    Unlim on the phone 5GB soft cap when tethered. .25 cents over 5GB when tethered
    Well that's no good. 5 gb is hardly anything. Might as well just surf on your phone and look at what you want unlimited rather than hooking it up to a computer and be limited.

The 4g in balitmore is unlimited it says on their website even with air cards. I wonder if when 4g comes here it will be unlimited. Maybe it will have the kinda bandwith to do that for everyone.

Our air cards at work are unlimited. I wish they had that for personal accounts.
    04-15-09 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD