When connecting my 8310 to the Desktop Manager, via USB, the software detects the unit with its PIN, but asks for the device password. I type in the password that unlocks the unit, but it is always rejected. Its a simple 4 number password, no caps, symbols, etc., but the software always rejects it. I have tried different versions of the software including 4.7 and on different computers. Same result. If you enter the wrong info 5 times, it will erase everything. Obviously I am trying to avoid that.

Further, upon trying to use the unit, it is now locked and asks me to type in the word "blackberry" and then to enter my password, which it accepts. Is this nuts or am I? Anyone ever heard of this? Help!
    12-10-08 09:10 PM
    If your p/word is all numbers make sure you are holding down the
    ALT key as you type each number.
    12-10-08 09:14 PM
    typing the word 'blackberry' usually means your phone is about to be wiped. i wouldn't do that lol.

maybe change your password to something simpler? AG is right that maybe the numbers don't come through all the way
    12-10-08 09:17 PM
    Thanks for the response, but I guess I wasn't clear. It is when typing the password into the PC software that I have the problem. No password problem on the phone itself.
    12-10-08 09:22 PM
    Watch how you type it on the pc. Remember that some numbers and letters are mixed. On the bb if my code starts with a 1 and I didn't cap lock it for the password would end up being a w on your pc. Hope this makes sense.
    12-10-08 09:28 PM
    Thanks for the response, but I guess I wasn't clear. It is when typing the password into the PC software that I have the problem. No password problem on the phone itself.
    The one time I ran into this problem here is what happened.
    If I put in the numbers on the numeric keypad it wouldn't take it. When I used
    the numbers above the actual keyboard I had no problem. Maybe that was an
    anomaly but it might be worth a try.
    12-10-08 09:57 PM
    AG has a point. did that work?
    12-10-08 10:20 PM
    keep it simple:

If your password was 1234 on your BB, on your computer it would probably be "wers", depending if you did not use the CAPS or the NUM. If you did, then make sure that you know what it was.

The number/letter keys have the following possibilities:
    NUM-nothing-CAPS
    1-w-W
    2-e-E
    3-r-R
    4-s-S
    5-d-D
    6-f-F
    7-z-Z
    8-x-X
    9-c-C
    0-0-0

Whatever you keyed in, it will have an effect, but most likely, you in reality typed letters instead of numbers.
    12-11-08 12:21 AM
    Dear dreamquartz,

That was it. When I converted the numbers to letters per the qwerty keyboard, I got right in.

Thanks huge.
    12-11-08 05:55 AM
    Jeezo's, man! Thank you! It didn't enter my mind to translate from numbers to querty letters. Why don't they just...tell you these things in a pop up when your password fails for the third time?
    12-27-08 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD