I received my first Error 523 on my 1 month old Verizon Curve 8330 today. I had recently installed the 4.5.0.51 OS upgrade for my phone with no problems until I tried to switch to the Surreal theme. The theme had work fine with my original 4.3 OS and I wanted to give it another go....but got the 523 error. I read a bunch of posts all which suggested an OS wipe and reinstall. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS!!!

All I did was this.

1. Uninstall All OS software packages on PC.
    2. Connect phone
    3. Before the error comes up, go into DM App Loader and let it scan your phone. You'll notice that everything comes up, but you can't uncheck the offending theme.
    4. Close the DM.
    5. Open the Loader program from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\App Loader\
    6. This should scan your phone again and give you the same list the DM did, but you now have free reign over the installed themes and can remove the one that caused the error (Surreal in my case)
    7. Disconnect and reset the phone.

The phone will try to load the old theme, but once it doesn't find it, it will revert to the default carriers theme. This got my phone back to working order with NO LOST DATA and without having to reinstall the OS.

I don't know if this had been posted already. I read a bunch of threads but didn't see this solution anywhere. Hope it helps someone!
    07-17-08 01:37 PM
    Look at the link in my sig for JL_Cmder. Use it to wipe your device. Then you should get a 507 error. Once you get the 507, re-install the OS.
    07-17-08 01:38 PM
    To install a theme next time do this: Unzip the theme. Plug in BB. Open DM. Select Apploader. Select add/remove. Select browse(DM 4.5) select the .cod file that came with the theme. Click Finish. and it will load.
    07-17-08 01:43 PM
    you didn't even read my post did you....
    07-17-08 01:44 PM
    Look at the link in my sig for JL_Cmder. Use it to wipe your device. Then you should get a 507 error. Once you get the 507, re-install the OS.
    hahahaha!! lmao

And @ the original post : Why did you have to go through so much trouble to remove a theme? I do not understand the big deal... seems like normal theme removal procedure to me. Or remove from the device Application list? I must be missing something, or you would not have gone trough those lengths to remove one theme.
    07-17-08 02:10 PM
    I received my first Error 523 on my 1 month old Verizon Curve 8330 today. I had recently installed the 4.5.0.51 OS upgrade for my phone with no problems until I tried to switch to the Surreal theme. The theme had work fine with my original 4.3 OS and I wanted to give it another go....but got the 523 error. I read a bunch of posts all which suggested an OS wipe and reinstall. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS!!!

All I did was this.

2. Connect phone
    3. Before the error comes up, go into DM App Loader and let it scan your phone. You'll notice that everything comes up, but you can't uncheck the offending theme.
    4. Close the DM.
    5. Open the Loader program from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\App Loader\
    6. This should scan your phone again and give you the same list the DM did, but you now have free reign over the installed themes and can remove the one that caused the error (Surreal in my case)

The phone will try to load the old theme, but once it doesn't find it, it will revert to the default carriers theme. This got my phone back to working order with NO LOST DATA and without having to reinstall the OS.

I don't know if this had been posted already. I read a bunch of threads but didn't see this solution anywhere. Hope it helps someone!
    There's an even simpler way, you don't even have to try and connect BEFORE the error comes up.

Before I had a chance to read this thread, I tried to re-load my surreal theme after upgrading from 4.2 to 4.5 and got the error. I just left the screen as-is with the error up and connected the bb to my pc, ran the app loader from the folder and removed it and it re-started on it's own with the default theme in place.
    07-17-08 04:17 PM

All I did was this.

2. Connect phone
    4. Close the DM.

Did you have your OS installed on your PC when you did this?
    07-17-08 04:43 PM
    Loaded the 4.5 os on my Curve.

Got the same error when I tried to use the Surreal theme, and as soon as it loaded it gave me that nice 523 error.
    I deleted the theme, and everything was fine.

Thanks Baha for the tip on how to fix it...

William
    aka Felix T Kat
    07-17-08 07:37 PM
    Thanks soooooooo much! I didn't know what to do. This did the trick!
    07-17-08 11:40 PM
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I thought my phone was a brick. Thank you!
    07-20-08 05:04 AM
    Thanks that fixed the dreaded error, I thought i had lost my baby.
    07-31-08 06:52 AM
    There's an even simpler way, you don't even have to try and connect BEFORE the error comes up.

Before I had a chance to read this thread, I tried to re-load my surreal theme after upgrading from 4.2 to 4.5 and got the error. I just left the screen as-is with the error up and connected the bb to my pc, ran the app loader from the folder and removed it and it re-started on it's own with the default theme in place.
    Exactly! Very easy solution.... This did solve the problem.
    Thanks for all the input folks.

J
    07-31-08 09:40 AM
    hahahaha!! lmao

And @ the original post : Why did you have to go through so much trouble to remove a theme? I do not understand the big deal... seems like normal theme removal procedure to me. Or remove from the device Application list? I must be missing something, or you would not have gone trough those lengths to remove one theme.
    Mc~ I'm surprised you of all people would laugh at a solution or helpful information. Just because you dont understand the big deal doesnt mean it was worth laughing at.

Believe it or not, but this is the LEAST amount of trouble to remove a theme/app thats causing an error which cannot be removed by DM using App Loader because DM doesnt see your device. If by chance you can get DM to see your device, the offending theme/app will not allow you to remove the checkmark to uninstall it.

Short of spending an hour or more to reload the entire OS, this did the trick in a matter of a few minutes.

I installed the Surreal theme tonight; even though it said that I couldnt install it to 4.5, but my hard headed a$$ did so anyway. I got the error 523 and every post that I "searched" only offered reloading the OS as an option.

I personally think this should be stickied because #1- it WORKED flawlessly and #2- not everyone knows how/what to do when installing an OS; espcially newbies.

@Baharahdma~ all I can say is thank you for posting something so very helpful and allowing me to go to sleep b/c 4 a.m. comes very early for me.

I find it interesting that we can go out of our way to welcome and even congratulate people based on their post count/status; even those that get off on saying search first! But someone who hasnt even racked up 10 posts gets laughed at and has provided the best help for this problem so far!
    Last edited by ScandaLeX; 07-31-08 at 10:50 PM.
    07-31-08 10:46 PM
    I am absolutely computer illiterate! I am so frustrated right now because I've been up for the past few hours trying to figure out how to make this "app error 523" go away on my blackberry. I have an 8310 and everything has been working completely fine. All of a sudden my phone vibrates and I look at the screen and there it is! i've tried to read a few of the solutions that are already posted but I have no idea what "operating system" is or anything else. I know how to do the basics on a computer. Other than that, I'm screwed. Pathetic I know, but I really need help! I keep everything in my phone and I can't get to any of it right now! Please help!
    09-12-08 02:23 AM

All I did was this.

2. Connect phone
    4. Close the DM.

IT HELPED ME A BUNCH... but after it removed the theme i got an "app 200 error" any diea what that is? im getting a lil worried... 5 imnutes into the new them and my pphone is already breaking
    09-25-08 09:15 PM
    IT HELPED ME A BUNCH... but after it removed the theme i got an "app 200 error" any diea what that is? im getting a lil worried... 5 imnutes into the new them and my pphone is already breaking
    Have you done a search for the exact error message you're getting? Since this thread is about 523, you may not get a 200 answer here.
    09-25-08 09:18 PM
    ok... we are all good.. it mustve just been an app error cuz the theme wasnt there... phone works good so far.. kinda slow but it might just be cuz its all new stuff on it.. i just sent my first video.. of my kitty to my prego girl... i freaking love this phone... iPHONE CAN KISS MY @$$ HAHAHA
    09-25-08 09:37 PM
    Have you done a search for the exact error message you're getting? Since this thread is about 523, you may not get a 200 answer here.
    its all good.. i just fixed itself haha.. thanks though
    09-25-08 09:39 PM
    Baha,

I just want to pile on with another thank you!!! You totally saved me! I was a step away from wiping and reinstalling everything and this fixed me within 3 minutes. If you're ever in LA, I owe you a beer. ****, I owe you a keg.
    10-16-08 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD