hey all.. i have a tmobile 8320 with desktop 4.5 installed.

i recorded a voicenote which i wanted to send via mms to other peoples' phones. based on some advice i got from a forum, i simply changed the extension of the voicenote file from .amr to .mp3 in my blackberry, and it worked. however, i have emailed that same .mp3 file to my desktop, and it does not play. its size reads 40kb, just as it does in my phone, but it won't play on winamp, quicktime or itunes. any ideas?

thanks in advance.
    02-06-09 11:29 PM
    I'm gunna go out on a limb and guess that itunes and winamp don't have an amr codec, its kinda obscure and really only used on cells. Try vlc media player or google amr player, you should find something, maybe even a plug in for winamp

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 11:40 PM
    it's interesting though, because technically this file is an mp3 right now. i know that the majority of people i mms'ed it to could hear it. i also know the majority of them don't have blackberries, which i assume means that they wouldn't be able to hear .amr files. but it sure is acting like an .amr right now...
    02-06-09 11:43 PM
    it's interesting though, because technically this file is an mp3 right now. i know that the majority of people i mms'ed it to could hear it. i also know the majority of them don't have blackberries, which i assume means that they wouldn't be able to hear .amr files. but it sure is acting like an .amr right now...
    No, it's not an MP3. Technically or otherwise. At all. It's an AMR file that has an MP3 extension.

If you put a Mercedes hood ornament on a Toyota, is it a Mercedes? No, it's a Toyota with a Mercedes badge.

What you've done is changed the extension of the file so that the other phones would open the file (seeing the file extension was friendly), however, a majority of phones use an AMR CODEC (COmpressor / DECompressor) for that audio file type, so it recognized the file type and played it. However, nothing about the file changed, besides the extension.

As stated above, most PC's do NOT have the AMR codec installed by default, and those that do, usually don't use the same that ships on most phones.

So, search google, as suggested, and you might turn up a way to get it to play back on your PC.
    02-07-09 01:32 AM
    Mediacoder's site says .amr is supported:

MediaCoder - more than a universal audio/video transcoder

Download should be free, if it isn't, google for another download link till you find a free one.
    02-07-09 01:39 AM
    Here is another free AMR player:

AMR Player, Free AMR audio player and AMR to MP3 or MP3 to AMR converter

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 01:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD