I bought one on craigslist and when I tried to activate it- alltell told me that the previous owner had an outstanding bill and the account was "on hold" therefore, they will not be able to activate it with my number until he pays it off....is there anything I can do- whether its unlock it or whatever to be able to use this phone if he doesn't pay off his bill?
    09-12-08 08:03 PM
    Wow!! That's the first time I have ever heard of that.

Unlocking will do no good at all. Is it possible to get in touch
    with the seller to explain your problem.
    09-12-08 08:23 PM
    Now that sucks! Perhaps if you showed them a receipt? Ask them if they want to loose one customer or two?
    09-12-08 08:26 PM
    Same here. The owner is tied to an account, not a phone. I would call back and ask another CS person.
    Last edited by lastraid; 09-12-08 at 09:01 PM.
    09-12-08 08:27 PM
    If that doesn't work take it to Verizon and see if they'll flash it for you to become a new customer.
    09-12-08 08:27 PM
    What did the seller say when you called him? You DID call him, didn't you? That's the first step I would think.
    09-12-08 08:48 PM
    Mmmmm.....

this whole thing sounds like a bad haircut... !
    09-12-08 08:53 PM
    Yes, I called him Wed. and he acted if like it was no big deal that he would call them on Thursday and call me..and of coarse he never called me back...so I FINALLY got in touch with him tonight and he just told me that I bought the phone as is and he would see what he could do over the next few weeks to get it cleared...but he made it clear there would be no gaurantees....Ughh!!

And I called 3 different times and spoke to 3 different people and they all said until the account is paid in full and deactivated then the phone will never be able to be activated.

Verizon is not an option right now because I'm still in a contract plus verizon service is horrible where i live.
    09-12-08 08:59 PM
    Yeah, I've heard of this before. Same thing happened yo a friend of my daughter's with Sprint!

Unless the person you bought it from wants to man-up then you're up the proverbial creek!

You should always get a clear ESN guarantee from the seller when buying a mobile phone!

Sorry!!
    Paige

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-08 09:03 PM
    I have bought MANY MANY used cells and have never ran into this problem...you bet I will check from now on...but it will not end here...I will get him one way or the other!! Actually I googled his number and got his address so hubby & I will be making a visit...I also spoke to a deputy this afternoon and he gave me a number to call Monday am...
    09-12-08 09:06 PM
    May I suggest this method....
    Attachment 4468
    09-12-08 09:10 PM
    This seller is committing fraud. As is doesn't mean buying a phone that's locked out because of the seller. He is stealing your money -- that's why the deputy is working with you. All that aside, you can get a small claims court judgment plus ALL costs -- including what it will cost you to garnishee his wages. The only hard part will be finding out where he works so you can serve his employer, but if you find out and serve them, they'll have to cut you checks.

09-12-08 09:25 PM
    It might be more productive if this discussion took place in
    ONE thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/am-i...help-me-71615/
    09-12-08 09:27 PM
    Same here. The owner is tied to an account, not a phone. I would call back and ask another CS person.
    sss, sorry this happened to you. I've heard of this many years ago from Sprint and it has always stayed fresh in my mind. Although the owner is tied to the account, the phone is ALSO tied to the account.

As long as the account is in good standing, the phone can be sold. If money is owed on the account, whoever buys that phone will in all likelihood, not be able to get the phone activated as is your case.

Unless your and your hubby do a drive-by, you're stuck and the carrier doesnt have to do anything to get that phone activated for you.

#1 reason why I stay away from Craigslist.
    09-12-08 09:28 PM
    I have always known this is how CDMA carriers funtion and have heard this scenario many times. I have also always wondered something , keep in mind this would suck for you BUT your already invested in the phone and dont have much to lose so here it goes. Is it possible to pay the outstanding balance on the account to release the phone , does anybody know if this would work?
    09-12-08 09:38 PM
    That probably would work. But I don't think ssss should even have
    to consider that. He /she bought the phone, shouldn't have to
    absorb someone else's debt.
    09-12-08 09:42 PM
    I have always known this is how CDMA carriers funtion and have heard this scenario many times. I have also always wondered something , keep in mind this would suck for you BUT your already invested in the phone and dont have much to lose so here it goes. Is it possible to pay the outstanding balance on the account to release the phone , does anybody know if this would work?
    May work but probably looking at an early termination fee as well, Could have bought a brand new one off contract by the time this is over.
    09-12-08 09:42 PM
    It's stories like these that keep reminding me why I would never, EVER get my BB from E-Bay or Craigslist or anything like that. Maybe it's just me?
    09-12-08 09:43 PM
    It's stories like these that keep reminding me why I would never, EVER get my BB from E-Bay or Craigslist or anything like that. Maybe it's just me?
    I was recently informed (thanks ScandaLex) that with EBay you have a measure
    of protection in the from of PayPal. With CraigsList you are completely on your
    own.
    09-12-08 09:46 PM
    I was recently informed (thanks ScandaLex) that with EBay you have a measure
    of protection in the from of PayPal. With CraigsList you are completely on your
    own.
    Well, that makes me feel a little better about E-Bay, but I still don't think I would buy my BB from there. LOL I'm just picky.
    09-12-08 09:50 PM
    I know the OP should not "HAVE" to absorb more of the debt and I also realize that by the time all is said and done the OP may have neared beeing able to buy a new one but that doesn't really matter if $200 of the $400 needed to buy a new BlackBerry is tied up in the Craiglist phone. The whole situation stinks , but something has got to give one way or another , SSSS can't just throw the phone in a shoebox in the closet and move on , I know I couldn't.

09-12-08 09:54 PM
    Mystik: I hear ya. Nothing at all wrong with being picky.

GrandMaster: I agree with you actually, I just think after scoring
    the phone and having to go through this BS just stinks. I'd hate
    to see the OP pay someone else's bill. And I wonder if the
    seller knew this would happen.
    09-12-08 09:59 PM
    Exelant- one good thing- the dumba#% called me from work the other day so I had that number- and when I was trying to contact him I called that number and left a message that it was urgent for him to call me and the man asked what company I was with and I said I wasn't with a company that I had bought a phone from him and until he pays off his outstanding bill I can't activate it and I need to know if he is planning on paying it off, refunding my money or will I need to see him in court- and the man said he didn't blame me at all- gave me the name of the company, address & gave me the guys work schedule...LOL
    And no, i'm sorry i'm not going to pay his cell phone bill off & a disconnect fee...I will fight him on court over this just to prove to him that he will NOT get over on this woman...LOL
    Guess I will be going to Alltel & just buying me one straight out!
    09-13-08 03:52 AM
    Well, that makes me feel a little better about E-Bay, but I still don't think I would buy my BB from there. LOL I'm just picky.
    I just bought my son a Nokia n95 off ebay for his 21st birthday 4 days ago -cost $589 with overnight shipping. The seller had 4100 positive feedbacks and maybe 3 negatives. I have purchased maybe 5 phones and sold maybe 20 - 30 on ebay. Never had any problems and have saved alot of money...The same phone unlocked at best buy I bought my son was $831.00 with tax when I went to purchase it ( I left at the store too)...With anything you have to do your research.

OP I am sorry this has happened to you...however you might able to recoup some of your money as I see alot of bad esn blackberry curves on ebay...they sell for about $150. Craiglist is hit or miss. I have heard of this issue alot or even the buyer getting robbed when they meet the buyer to pick up the item so I dont mess with it. Good luck selling it for parts. Then if you buy another one check feedback on ebay and pay with paypal for extra protection.
    09-13-08 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD