My brother just got his BB Curve Titanium today and we're trying to maximize it's capabilities and potential and we saw the IM app in there but does it use data or messaging? We only have the unlimited data plan for $20 a month with t-mobile which is unlimited email/data, not a seperate messaging plan too for $15 month for unlimited messages.

If the default IM app that comes with the BB preinstalled on it doesn't use data what free and decent or good apps are out there that use data and can use AIM mainly?

And I/he should set it up right like start the set up wizard? Will the browser get better after that? Because it looks really garbage right now, like a regular crap browser. It's going to get good right and nice? Or do I have to do something else to make it nice or download another one?

Thanks a lot, all help setting up the brand new Curve which rocks btw is appreciated.
    09-19-08 10:23 PM
    im pretty sure it uses messaging, aim on verizon always used messaging
    09-20-08 08:16 AM
    I think the best third-party app. for instant messaging is BeeJive. It uses data, not SMS.
    09-20-08 08:46 AM
    Any other free apps that use data for AIM?
    09-20-08 08:51 AM
    not that i know of.
    09-20-08 09:16 AM
    Huh? I have the unlimited data plan. I would figure the aim app would be data.
    09-20-08 09:36 AM
    Does the default IM app that comes with the Curve with AIM/MSN/ICQ/Blackberry Messenger use data or messaging? I think the Blackberry Messenger uses data though right which is why I'm wondering about the AIM one.

Text messaging to other phones uses messaging for sure right?
    09-20-08 09:53 AM
    Does Beejive for the Blackberry Curve on TMOBILE use data or messaging? Thanks.
    09-20-08 11:51 AM
    Beejive's JiveTalk IM uses data across the board. For us Verizon users, the AIM that is downloaded to our BB through VZW (you know the one; it has AIM, MSN Live Messenger, and Yahoo! bundled) uses up text. Yes, it really does... I checked through my Account Usage and all of my AIM IMs posted through the VZW setup counted against my text balance.

Fortunately, however, BB.com has the stand-alone AIM that you can download directly to your BB Curve via the BB Desktop Manager on your PC - go to Blackberry.com and navigate to the BB software page and click on the IM applications page. You'll see the AIM icon next to the option to download the AIM application. Pretty easy. And yes, it just came out not too long ago.

But, I'm with Mystik, I really like JiveTalk - very easy on the eyes and smooth as butter... ...whatever that means.
    09-20-08 12:03 PM
    I've been using/loving my BB Curve 8320 for a good 6 months now. I always used the AIM that came preinstalled. For whatever reason, i deleted it today and installed the new version 2.1.32 BUT the darn thing doesnt work. I tried reinstalling from the desktop as well as right from the handheld device. Doesnt work! How can i get the original AIM that came preinstalled w/ the phone??
    09-20-08 12:46 PM
    ^^Wait wait wait for both of you guys (jjey and urknotredy) is the AIM you guys are talking about that comes preloaded with the BB Curve use data?
    09-20-08 01:18 PM
    im pretty sure it uses data
    09-20-08 01:20 PM
    It depends - on Verizon, the VZW IM app burns text from your balance; if you're a T-Mobile user, the answer is NO (T-Mo uses data).

(btw, if you're a VZW subscriber and have the unlimited txt plan, then obviously, this wouldn't matter.)

For us Verizon subscribers, use the independent data app provided by BB.com, which uses the data service via the BB server.

Edit: For clarification (for us VZW customers), try using your VZW IM app and send out a few IMs using any one of the bundled Yahoo/Live Messenger/AIM. Then, the following day, your VZW online account should be updated. Go to "View Usage," then go to Text/Pix message use, then click on "View Messaging Details" on the Text & Pix Flix box. Note the time of day you sent those IMs and you'll see text use incoming to your phone number, but sent from 000000XXXX (substitute 4 numbers in the "XXXX"). This is a deduction from your text message count, and does not count as a free VZW IN-Text. But to save you time, I've already tried this, and yes, the VZW IM app does indeed commit highway robbery from your text balance. You T-Mo subscribers score again!
    Last edited by jjey; 09-20-08 at 02:21 PM.
    09-20-08 02:07 PM
    Now that is cleared up, we can talk about your Browser.

Your device shipped with the first generation software, v4.2xx. The Browser is useable, but only just bairly.

The midlife software refresh, v4.5xx includes a much improved Browser, the difference is very dramatic.

T-Mobile, like a lot of the major carriers, is in the process of testing and qualifying it for use on their network. When they approve it, it will be available to download and install.

If you choose not to wait, other carriers have already approved it on their network. You can use it on T-Mobile too.

The only caution is, you can no longer call on T-Mobile for support for any questions related to the new OS.

You are welcome to ask here, a lot of us are doing it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...anguage-62001/
    09-20-08 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD