Im affraid to upgrade and to screw the phone up, what you guys thinks should i upgrade.
    08-13-08 02:43 AM
    that my friend is totally up to you.
    08-13-08 02:47 AM
    If you have any trepidations at all I'd advise against it
    until you (A) got more comfortable with your device and
    (B) became more familiar with the process.
    08-13-08 02:48 AM
    If you afraid then don't do it. Don't fix what ain't broken.
    08-13-08 03:21 AM
    Me personally didn't like it. But I heard many other people say that love it, but if your not completely comfortable with risking nuking your phone and all that jazz then don't do it.
    08-13-08 04:39 AM
    I'm totally new to BBY... After playing with my Curve for a bunch of hours, i decided to upgrade... I followed the guide on Crackberry.com "Blackberry 101 Lecture Series".. It was very easy and i don't regret it
    08-13-08 04:45 AM
    Just wait till the official rom. Its not too long now.

BUT if you're a risk taker, read the stickies and go for it. Its not too hard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-08 04:45 AM
    It's really not hard so long as you pay attention to the steps and don't rush it. But in your case I'd have to say don't do it simply because you're unsure. Get to know your phone as-is and upgrade when the time is right.
    08-13-08 05:15 AM
    It's really not hard so long as you pay attention to the steps and don't rush it. But in your case I'd have to say don't do it simply because you're unsure. Get to know your phone as-is and upgrade when the time is right.
    Very good advice. Graduating from Motorola phones and completely modding them this holds true with any phone. Read and then read some more until you feel comfortable upgrading - then take the plunge.
    08-13-08 05:34 AM
    i upgraded, and i love it!
    08-13-08 07:04 AM
    Just by asking, you've answered your question. I think that when you can find the files you need to do it - the newest desktop manager and the correct OS for your device, and you learn what to do with them without asking someone else to do it for you, you'll be ready to upgrade. Let us know if you have problems during your upgrade and we'll help you then.

08-13-08 07:21 AM
    From the sounds of your original post, I can tell you are uncomfortable with the process. Do not upgrade your device until you 1) Have a great deal of understanding about your device and how it should function, 2) understand the upgrade process completely, 3) understand how DesktopManager works and 4) understand how to recover a "nuked" blackberry

Once you feel comfortable with all of those, proceed with the guide in my signature.
    08-13-08 07:24 AM
    As one member said, don't risk breaking what isn't broken, if you are uncertain about the upgrade process.
    08-13-08 07:32 AM
    If you have an 8310, my suggestion is to wait. Ringtones sound level suck on 4.5.

08-13-08 08:08 AM
    Anyone know if you lose the ability to force the phone to roam with 4.5?

08-13-08 12:01 PM
    You know honestly I don't see what the big fuss is about upgading. I was nerve racked when I went to upgrade my phones's OS and come to find out it was easier than cleaning my trackball. Everyone said cleaning it was easy and I won't ever do it again, for fear of breaking it. . . again. Then coming to my OS it was a walk in the park I didn't even have to wipe it like everyone said you would, I say go for it, but if your really unsure just wait for an official.
    08-13-08 12:35 PM
    I upgraded yesterday....very easy. It's really the same process as if it's released by your official carrier. And this isn't a beta version, so you should be fine.
    08-13-08 12:50 PM
    It really isn't hard to do at all. But I think the advice others have given to wait a bit until you're more familar with your phone is the right thing to do. The updates are nice, but there's nothing dramatically different.
    08-13-08 12:56 PM
    It is easy to upgrade... actually, things can go wrong. Read the posts from a couple of people who have had problems -- links below (I can find a dozen more if you'd like). You have to be prepared in case there are problems. As one of the CB members who has spent quite a bit of time helping people when they have problems, I can tell you that many of the new people advising you to just go for it won't be able to help you recover a berry that has turned into a brick. Of course there will be a bunch of us ready to help if things go wrong but everyone here has a different level of competence and confidence. If you feel uncomfortable doing it now, why not wait a while until you feel like you know enough to do an upgrade? There is no rush.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/i-w...-please-57676/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/som...elp-mee-57373/
    Last edited by exelant; 08-14-08 at 09:36 AM.
    08-13-08 02:20 PM
    Upgrading has 2 advantages as I see it: You are forced to get in touch with your Berry! You MUST learn several things about it and how it works. This, of course gives you confidence - priceless! No fear next time! And secondly, you do get the latest OS (even if it is a beta) installed with the pleasure of knowing you are in a select group of BB people. Just take your time, read and follow the great advice you find here at Cb...!

08-13-08 06:02 PM
    It really isn't hard to do at all. But I think the advice others have given to wait a bit until you're more familar with your phone is the right thing to do. The updates are nice, but there's nothing dramatically different.
    You need to be on BES to get all of what 4.5 has to offer. But, a HTML browser & email along with a video recorder is quite a bit different than 4.2
    08-13-08 06:04 PM
    Honestly, if you aren't comfourtable with upgrading, nothing anyone can say here will make you feel ok with it.

If your devices is currently satisfying your wants and needs, why risk it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    08-13-08 06:09 PM
    Im affraid to upgrade and to screw the phone up, what you guys thinks should i upgrade.
    Occurred to me...several people here where I work have BBs. We've upgraded and learned together by sharing the experience. Maybe you could hook up with a BB user (...with more experience?) that you know and he/she could help you through the process. Good luck!
    08-14-08 08:49 AM
    When does the official OS upgrade come out? I thought I heard August a few months back. Has it changed?
    08-14-08 06:41 PM
    It is not that difficult as long as you follow the steps provided, upgrading is one of the easiest of any phone to upgrade. Its pretty much plug n play
    08-14-08 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD