Hi all,

I have a problem for which I haven't seen a good answer yet, I'm hoping you can help.

My wife has an 8330 (Curve).

Last week, it was coming up with a JVM Error 102.

After doing some searching, it seemed there was some other file that was not getting read correctly as the device was booting up. Per instructions I found, I downloaded JL_Cmder, and used it to pull an event log (text file). I then deleted the file net_rim_vad_engine_resource__fr_CA-4, as it was the file that was showing a hash verify error immediately before the JVM Error 102. The phone booted up! I also googled this file to see what it was - it appears to be related to voice dialing, which my wife doesn't use, so I did not think I'd miss the file.

Now, even though the phone boots, the address book fails to show any contacts. However, I was able to upload the my wife's contact list (264 entries) using the BlackBerry Desktop Software, so the data is still there. I checked the filters - just business and personal, and personal is checked. I'm able to go to options->Default, and see 264 entries, they just don't show in the main application, which says *No Adresses*.

Any thoughts on this? I've uploaded the original list to a text file, is it just a simple matter of re-downloading? I suspect that there's more, since the BB itself can recognize callers and the data is still there, but the Address Book application can not recognize what's in the file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    10-02-10 08:23 PM
    Hi all,

I have a problem for which I haven't seen a good answer yet, I'm hoping you can help.

My wife has an 8330 (Curve).

Last week, it was coming up with a JVM Error 102.

After doing some searching, it seemed there was some other file that was not getting read correctly as the device was booting up. Per instructions I found, I downloaded JL_Cmder, and used it to pull an event log (text file). I then deleted the file net_rim_vad_engine_resource__fr_CA-4, as it was the file that was showing a hash verify error immediately before the JVM Error 102. The phone booted up! I also googled this file to see what it was - it appears to be related to voice dialing, which my wife doesn't use, so I did not think I'd miss the file.
    Well, what I think happened I will try to explain in a way you might understand. I am not sure if you used MSDOS back in the old days. When people used to write batch files to get MSDOS to do certian commands, if you went into the batch file and removed a line, not knowing what it does, the program would fail to run. In this case, the line of code you removed was something needed for other parts of your phone program to work. You may have to reinstall the OS. Hopes this helps.
    10-02-10 09:21 PM
    Yes, I remember MSDOS

I stopped enjoying playing (hacking) with my computer about the time when autoexec.bat and config.sys went out of style. OK I just dated myself :-)

The thing that I removed, was it a file, or a line from a batch file?

My understanding is it was a file whose checksum or other error-check mechanism (the hash) was not coming in correctly on boot.

I understand if I removed something address related, but everything I've been able to find on the web points to it being voice-dial related.... Maybe that is the relation. I wonder if it's simple enough to find that file, re-load it, and/or re-insert the line. Have you had any experience trying that?

Thanks again.
    10-02-10 10:04 PM
    Yes, I remember MSDOS

I stopped enjoying playing (hacking) with my computer about the time when autoexec.bat and config.sys went out of style. OK I just dated myself :-)

The thing that I removed, was it a file, or a line from a batch file?

My understanding is it was a file whose checksum or other error-check mechanism (the hash) was not coming in correctly on boot.

I understand if I removed something address related, but everything I've been able to find on the web points to it being voice-dial related.... Maybe that is the relation. I wonder if it's simple enough to find that file, re-load it, and/or re-insert the line. Have you had any experience trying that?

Thanks again.
    I think we both dated ourselfs. I have never done the operation that you described. I am sure most would say that reloading the phones Operating System would be simpler than trying to reinject a line of code and end up with the same error messages or worst.
    10-02-10 11:14 PM
    Okay, now I feel stupid... It turns out it was a filter setting after all - I had "Personal" checked, and should have had everything unchecked... took me a minute to figure that one out...

Thanks for the help anyway, cheers.
    10-03-10 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD