Right now I have a BoostBerry 8350i, but I'll be getting my new 8330 tomorrow from Boost. The 8350i has seen it's better days and it was time for a change and besides, I really do miss BBM and email. Anyway, I'm not quite sure how to go about transferring everything over from an iDen phone to a CDMA phone, or if it's even possible...? I do have BB DM, both 5.0 and 6.0 versions on my PC...is there something there, such as device switch, to help with the change or will I have to do it all manually? Any links/helpful hints would be much appreciated!
    09-07-10 09:30 PM
    That's a tough one m8. I'm guessing manually but if there is a work around or a way of any kind it will be discovered here at crackberry. I believe my some did the same thing you are about to do. Ill ask him in the morning before I take him to school and get back to you. He just changed to the boost 8330 from the same phone, I believe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 11:20 PM
    Contacts should be fairly easy there are a lot of sync programs (I use google sync to keep all my contacts in gmail safe on the net) but your PTT contacts will be useless now. Not sure if your using a sim card now but the 8330 does not use 1. Your data ring tones pics and stuff should be as easy as plugging in a usb cable , making a folder on desktop and copying everything to it, then copy it back to new phone. Anything elese you might loose maybe you can keep your bookmarks depending on current sync options you might have now

09-08-10 12:34 AM
    Both DM 5 and 6 have a "Device Switch Wizard" in them.

1. Hook your 8350i up to your PC
    2. Open DM
    3. Select "Device Switch Wizard" (DM 5) or "Switch Devices" from the menu (DM 6)
    4. It will prompt you when you need to disconnect your old phone and connect the new one.
    5. At the end it will ask you if you'd like to wipe your old phone. Do so if you want.

Everything will transfer. All your settings, contacts, browser bookmarks, calendar events, even 3rd party apps, everything.

If you don't want everything transferred then just backup your 8350i and use that same file to do an advanced restore to your 8330.

It's a very easy process either way. There's no need to do it manually or using sync programs like suggested above.
    09-08-10 01:49 AM
    Thank you all very much for the info...when the phone gets here I'll be playing with it and see if I can get everything transferred over. I'll report back to let you know how bad I may have messed up...LOL.
    09-08-10 04:05 AM
    Well, this phone sucks! LOL Seriously, though, I did get everything switched over from the 8350i to the new Boost 8330, but it runs so slow it's not funny. I am about ready to grab my 8350i back from my son and reactivate it on Boost (it's a BoostBerry anyway). The reception at home, where I do most of my web browsing, is only at about 1 or 2 bars for reception...I finally found a coverage map and I'm right in the middle of light green (basically lousy) coverage. I am NOT a happy camper. I got the Torch, didn't really like it and went back to the 8350i. Now with this 8330, well, it's worse than either of the other 2 phones. It freezes...blah, blah, blah. What's a girl to do?? I don't believe I want to take a chance on installing a hybrid OS. And to think they said that the iDen was slow......lol. I really did miss BBM, but if I have to deal with this phone another 5 minutes......UGH!!!
    09-08-10 08:48 PM
    Ya I hated mine out of the box. But after a few weeks its got better. A lot of the problems I had were memory related after dumping VAD it got a lot better. You can't have more then 2 or 3 apps running on top of what stays running.
    The OS 5.0 is a huge memory. I guess it has a leak. I installed a hybrid today it seems better. But there is an offical upgrade @ blackberry from 5.0.438 to .750(I think) for the boost 8330 its a lot easyer to install then a hybrid and it might plug some of the leaks. Try to keep 10 to 12mb free memory after reboot for the OS to operate. Use a program like memmax or maxmem to clean out stuff in the OS you don't need to free up more memory

09-08-10 09:07 PM
    It would be better to upgrade or hybrid the OS now rather then later, the fewer apps on the phone will make it easyer and you'll save your self a lot of frustration in the long run.

09-08-10 09:13 PM
    I to switched from a iden to cdma on boost. I guess I got better coverage because my net is a lot faster. And the phone has better coverage I used to have to go outside to make a call now I got 4-5 bars inside

09-08-10 09:20 PM
    I just checked on blackberry.com and hooked up the phone and it says there are no updates available.......*sighs*. Frustration? More like I'm going to chuck this POS out the window! lol
    09-08-10 09:30 PM
    You will have to go to blackberry and track it down its pretty deep in the site I'd post a link but I'm not on my pc ATM
    I don't know why DM dosnt find it mine said the same thing but its there

09-08-10 09:35 PM
    I never had a problem with reception with the 8350i....I guess I should've just stuck with that, but like they say, you don't know what you've got till it's gone...lol. If I go back, I'll be losing BBM, but that's not too big of a price to pay for having decent browsing speeds and good reception. Decisions, decisions......
    09-08-10 09:38 PM
    Let me go look again.......
    09-08-10 09:39 PM
    OK i looked again guess im mistaken i was looking at the overall version number not the OS
    but here is a link anyway
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...81469FA1.node1
    download that and keep it handy
    09-08-10 09:43 PM
    Okay, thank you very much, will try it and see if it makes things any better...if not, then it's back to square one.
    09-08-10 09:46 PM
    And this is what I got from that link.....

We're Sorry...

You've entered this page in error because you have the incorrect link.

Please make sure that you have the correct link to download BlackBerry software.

If you have any questions, please contact the webmaster.
    09-08-10 09:47 PM
    my OS says v 5.0.0.608
    that's the hybrid OS i guess
    installed from
    bbtweaks.com |
    i took my about 3 hours to install the hybrid after about 6 hours of research
    and thair download does not contain some of the programs you need (BBSAK 1.7 google for it)
    i got the latest public hybrid refereed to as .12.2 should be on the front page
    09-08-10 09:48 PM
    hmm that is odd, it works on my pc you using firefox?
    try here
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    look for boost under north America
    09-08-10 09:51 PM
    Okay, well enough is enough for tonight, need sleep. Am thoroughly disgusted with this phone and its performance, will decide tomorrow what to do with it....I want to thank you for all of your help, it really IS appreciated!
    09-08-10 09:53 PM
    No, using IE8...that link works. Not sure if I want to do it yet tonight or not, will take too long and need to get some sleep.
    Last edited by zbban1; 09-08-10 at 09:57 PM.
    09-08-10 09:55 PM
    OK ill post a few more links here for stuff to try before upgrading OS. plus keep in mind that its a new phone and its still updating and burning its self in (if that makes any since) give it time to settle in, i really hated mine the first few days but it did get better.
    09-08-10 09:58 PM
    Okay, thank you. I'll take your word for it...it had better get better...lol...or it goes on the chopping block!
    09-08-10 10:01 PM
    read this
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...e-memory-34633
    look for the maxmem link and use that to get rid of VAD it made big difference
    09-08-10 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD