So the water indicator is missing on my Curve that I traded my Storm for. I want to take it into Verizon to get a replacement because it "just isn't acting right" (if you catch my drift) without having to use my insurance. I know they look for the indicators though. I have the one on the battery. Anyone have any extras they would be willing to spare? And yes, this does work. My dad and I did it with our Motorolas back in the day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 05:58 PM
    How do you know they are missing, some are visible and some are hidden. Also how did they come off if they did.
    03-07-09 06:01 PM
    I thought there was only one water indicator, on the battery, where is the other one? Why do you have to go to the store, why not just call them and explain "its not acting right"
    03-07-09 06:02 PM
    There is one on the battery and 2-3 on the phone it self.
    03-07-09 06:08 PM
    Ahh, didnt know that makes sense now that I think about it. Im not entirely confident the people at the store would inspect the phone with a fine tooth comb though either. Why not just use insurance.. its what its for.
    03-07-09 06:09 PM
    They take the batt cover off and the batt out to look at the visible ones. Been through this before. It was a third party trade so who knows where the other indicators went lol. And as far as insurance, sure I would love to use it if you would like to give me the fifty bux that requires haha.

Last edited by AddictedRN2B; 03-07-09 at 06:19 PM.
    03-07-09 06:14 PM
    So, let me see if I'm understanding you correctly.

The phone "isn't acting right" presumably because you exposed it to water which is why the water damage indicators are "missing" and you are asking for someone to help you defraud the carrier by giving you some "unused" water damage indicators?

And you've apparently done this before?

I'll pass.

Or am I misunderstanding your posts?

You should also know that in addition to just looking at the water damage indicators, the technicians will examine the phone and its circuit boards for evidence of water intrusion.
    03-07-09 07:41 PM
    Wht I got from *isnt working right* - if you catch my drift... was OP wants a new phone, flat out, since this one is a hand me down... *shrugs*
    03-07-09 08:08 PM
    I concur with MotoMama.

If there is a problem with the water damage indicators, this is an indication that there has been water damage.

Your asking for assistance in these forums, basically amounts to your seeking assistance in committing a fraud!

Personally, I believe the mods should delete such posts.
    03-07-09 08:26 PM
    The phone has no water damage. It was a third party trade that has obviously been tinkered with and in the process I am assuming the indicators were removed. And since starting this thread I have found that I am unable to reply to emails or open attachments despite contacting Verizon. So my problem is that if I take it to the store to get a replacement I am assuming they will check for the indicators since they always do when replacing under the 1 year warranty. And because I do not have those indicators, through no fault of my own, I will have to make an insurance claim and pay the deductable.

03-08-09 12:29 PM
    My guess? You got hosed. It had water damage and the previous owner took the indicators off.
    03-08-09 12:38 PM
    So the water indicator is missing on my Curve that I traded my Storm for. I want to take it into Verizon to get a replacement because it "just isn't acting right" (if you catch my drift) without having to use my insurance. I know they look for the indicators though. I have the one on the battery. Anyone have any extras they would be willing to spare? And yes, this does work. My dad and I did it with our Motorola's back in the day.

So when you take it to the store, they will, first, look up your account. They they will ask you what happened to the 'Storm'? They will then see that you bought a phone from a third party which instantly cancels the insurance out because you didn't buy it from Verizon. All your insurance info is with the Storm, assuming that was bought from Verizon. They may fix it, for a price, but I don't know what their policy is for third party repairs. They may offer you a new phone with a new contract They will check for water damage, specially if the indicators are missing. You may be S.O.L. on this one. If that is the case, I'd go for the new contract or with another carrier with better deals.
    03-08-09 01:04 PM
    Another question,

I wonder if the seller changed out the housing. The main interior skelaton would be changed out, and the new one will not have the indicators. Just a thought.....

Even if they put the main front and back on to sell it, if they didn't change the main interior housing, then that would be the cause. The sticker are on that part.

Just my .02

I say pay the $50 and be happy.
    03-08-09 01:16 PM
    So when you take it to the store, they will, first, look up your account. They they will ask you what happened to the 'Storm'? They will then see that you bought a phone from a third party which instantly cancels the insurance out because you didn't buy it from Verizon. All your insurance info is with the Storm, assuming that was bought from Verizon. They may fix it, for a price, but I don't know what their policy is for third party repairs. They may offer you a new phone with a new contract They will check for water damage, specially if the indicators are missing. You may be S.O.L. on this one. If that is the case, I'd go for the new contract or with another carrier with better deals.

This I don't get, I got a curve with insurance, I have never removed the tech insurance, when i switch over to the storm for 2 wks, it was activated on my account and tech insurance was still on my account, now since i was still paying for it. tech insurance would be used for that said device on that account. Now that i switched back to the curve a few weeks ago. (storm sucked) I still have tech insurance on my account....

So not sure what you mean by your post, but I would like more info please.
    03-08-09 01:26 PM
    Technically...if you add a phone to your account that was not purcahsed from VZW. The rep should check and remove insurance if not bought from VZW. 3rd party sales would disqualify the device from being insured. This is rarely done.

Even if you call VZW for a replacement for MFG warr. and you bought the phone 3rd party, the claim can be denied and the insurance removed. Again, rarely done
    03-08-09 01:29 PM
    This I don't get, I got a curve with insurance, I have never removed the tech insurance, when i switch over to the storm for 2 wks, it was activated on my account and tech insurance was still on my account, now since i was still paying for it. tech insurance would be used for that said device on that account. Now that i switched back to the curve a few weeks ago. (storm sucked) I still have tech insurance on my account....

So not sure what you mean by your post, but I would like more info please.
    Well with Verizon (and most carriers), any changes to accounts always start on the next billing cycle. And since you only switched for two weeks, they most likely never made any changes to your account because it was probably before the next cycle. (Speaking from experience with VZ)
    03-08-09 01:49 PM
    Hey guys. I wanted to ask if anyone know what the indicators would look like when there has been any water damage?

ReyRey

03-08-09 03:05 PM
    Should see a white tag with red xxx on it or stripes. These will be located in the battery well with another on the battery. IF either is solid red it has been exposed to water. Keep in mind that in hi humidity areas, the can affected as well.
    03-08-09 03:10 PM
    really? wow ok yeah because I just saw mines and the one inside the phone is solid red and on my battery its smudged. I hope that it's because of the humidity in South Florida because I bought this phone for 100 bucks from a friend of a friend.
    03-12-09 01:49 PM
    I didn't read the entire thread, but my suggestion is to peel the indicators off an old phone or battery. In my case, I peeled them off my wife's phone when she was taking a shower. Lol.
    03-12-09 03:54 PM
    I didn't read the entire thread, but my suggestion is to peel the indicators off an old phone or battery. In my case, I peeled them off my wife's phone when she was taking a shower. Lol.
    You should read the whole thread. It's fraud if you were to claim it has no damage......
    03-12-09 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD