If RIM does not come out with a 5.0 OS for your blackberry, would you still stick with Blackberry, or take your $ somewhere else when your contract is up ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 12:19 PM
    that is not a big issue for me. The 4.5.131 is really good and i will never go to anything else ever again. Blackberry forever! :-)
    08-27-09 12:22 PM
    If RIM does not come out with a 5.0 OS for your blackberry, would you still stick with Blackberry, or take your $ somewhere else when your contract is up ?

You are talking about two different things here, so os is RIM, contract is the carrier. Why would you spite the phone company if RIM doesn't upgrade the OS?

The simplest solution is just to upgrade the phone, going somewhere else won't get you the same phone with a 5.0 OS on it.
    08-27-09 12:29 PM
    You are talking about two different things here, so os is RIM, contract is the carrier. Why would you spite the phone company if RIM doesn't upgrade the OS?

The simplest solution is just to upgrade the phone, going somewhere else won't get you the same phone with a 5.0 OS on it.
    I believe he was referring to switching to a non-RIM cell phone, not switching carriers.
    08-27-09 12:31 PM
    if 5.0 didnt come to my device it would deff be a tough choice because im already thinking of going iPhone
    08-27-09 12:33 PM
    I'd probably just upgrade which I am waiting to do anyway. Most likely Tour 2 with WIFI or something similar to that
    08-27-09 12:38 PM
    I'll be sticking with RIM.

The BB Curve is about 2yrs old. You can't really fault a company for lowering support for a new OS with a device that's on the end of it's life span most likely (2yrs on the shelf is pretty phenominal for any phone model).

With all the new phones coming it's just a matter of time. I've been extremely happy with my RIM devices (8230, 8330, 8130 pink for the wife) so having a reason to buy a new one... I can't really complain!
    08-27-09 12:49 PM
    I really do not see an issue with the OS unless you are doing stuff the phone was not meant to do.
    08-27-09 12:50 PM
    I could careless.. When the time comes to upgrade the phone I will do so. Love the BB to much to want to change phone providors.

08-27-09 12:53 PM
    Why would I "take my money and go somewhere else?" If they come out with an operating system that the current Curve's can't run, then that means there is a new and better phone out or on the horizon. So I'd do the same thing one does with their computers, their cars, and anything else when it no longer suits their needs...get the next greatest model!

After all, one of the things that allows an improved OS is improved and expanded hardware features, so of course at some point the Curve will become obsolete.
    08-27-09 12:56 PM
    I'll be upgrading to a new BB model at my next upgrade point if not sooner. Wouldn't trade my BB for anything.
    08-27-09 12:58 PM
    I got the curve in April, just got my first replacement.
    I am sticking with os 4.5.0.77 and it is solid.
    I don't need latest and greatest, but I think putting that os on the 8330 is like trying to put 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag...

The device works and is stable as is.....most stable BB ever and my brother chose it over other models. (Its my first, but brother has had tons of them over the past 6 yrs)
    08-27-09 01:05 PM
    I got the curve in April, just got my first replacement.
    I am sticking with os 4.5.0.77 and it is solid.
    I don't need latest and greatest, but I think putting that os on the 8330 is like trying to put 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag...

The device works and is stable as is.....most stable BB ever and my brother chose it over other models. (Its my first, but brother has had tons of them over the past 6 yrs)
    I'd have to agree 100 percent I'm still using that same os too and have no problems wow I dont have 5.0 I can't use the new blackberry messanger (that's bout it) boo hoo! My phone works perfectly fine. And for the record the iphone isn't all that and the commericals make it seem to work better than it actually does. My brother has one. BLACKBERRY FOREVER
    08-27-09 01:37 PM
    I've had my 8330 about a year now and its my first berry, "I love it!" doesn't do justice to how attached I've become to it. I don't plan to buy anything but a blackberry in the future.

When my contract is up I would like to get one of the more powerfull models, I suppose that would be a tour now for CDMA.

Couldn't shift me to another device if it was half the price.

Russ.

08-27-09 01:46 PM
    I didn't buy my Curve with a contract stating it will be upgraded to 5.0. If they never upgrade the Curve to 5.0 it's still a great phone. When the new every two comes around I'm sure there will be something better sitting there.
    08-27-09 01:51 PM
    I love my 8330, so much in fact that I returned a Tour and stayed with the Curve.

However, that doesn't mean I won't check out what ever comes out. I will definitely check out the Storm 2, Atlas, and I'm eagerly anticipating the new Motorola phone running Android (codename Sholes).

For me, I can take OS 5.0 or leave it. I'm not a power user by any means, my 8330 is running great on a hybrid OS.
    08-27-09 01:51 PM
    I don't see the Curve ever getting 5.0 and I didn't get this phone because of the OS upgrades. I got the phone because it does everything I need it to do. If 5.0 becomes that much of an issue I will just upgrade to a newer phone.
    08-27-09 01:57 PM
    I'm gonna switch to a newer blackberry if the 8330 doesn't get 5.0 os, which I don't see happening. But leave blackberry? ........NEVER!
    08-27-09 02:01 PM
    I got a BB because of the scare supply of the Pre. I love the phone now. I plan on getting the tour for myself around xmas.
    08-27-09 02:23 PM
    Could care less about 5.0, though some may, which is why I queried the users. Didn't mean switching carriers, just cell phone manufacturers. Just trying to get opinions to make you crackblackheads think ! Have fun, lifes too short, and common sense and courtesy have left the building- make sure to tip your waitress !!!

08-27-09 02:39 PM
    My wife and I just recently got our 8320 Curves. I'll most likely stick with it for at least a year then see what new one I can get at a discount. If I move away from RIM, it will be for an Android phone (likely will be the 3rd generation Google phone by then). If I stick with RIM, it will still be with the Curve (8900 or later) with Tour a close second; the Storm needs a little improvement before I will consider it.
    08-27-09 02:40 PM
    My wife and I just recently got our 8320 Curves. I'll most likely stick with it for at least a year then see what new one I can get at a discount. If I move away from RIM, it will be for an Android phone (likely will be the 3rd generation Google phone by then). If I stick with RIM, it will still be with the Curve (8900 or later) with Tour a close second; the Storm needs a little improvement before I will consider it.
    That's exactly what I was wondering, thank you for an insightful response !

08-27-09 02:45 PM
    I love blackberry & adore my curve... I can upgrade soon, but I think I'll stick with it. I might get an 8900 just as a second phone or something though.
    08-27-09 06:35 PM
    I'll not be influenced by the lack of a 5.0 OS for the Curve. I plan to replace it in the May-June timeframe with the Tour or whatever the best VZW offers at the time happens to be.

Until then I'll be happy with OS 4.5.x.

08-27-09 06:41 PM
    I have a question though. If the 8330 does get 5.0 does that mean its a better phone than the GSM Curve?

08-27-09 07:36 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD