(probably get a quicker response in this section of the boards)

Just want to confirm before I order my card. Do we know if the 8330 accepts an SDHC card instead of just SD?

Thanks much!
    05-07-08 01:28 AM
    Thought this might help... I ordered my Curve last night and also ordered just a mild 1 GB stick from VZW for 17.99 on an online discount. May not be the best deal, but good enough for me.

BlackBerry Curve 8330 Specs (From Press Release):
    � Small and lightweight design that is easy to handle and use; measures 4.2� x 2.4� x 0.6�and weighs only 4 oz
    � Large, vibrant 320 x 240 display, with light sensing technology that automatically adjusts brightness for optimal viewing in outdoor, indoor, and dark environments
    � Responsive, highly-tactile full-QWERTY keyboard and RIM�s intuitive trackball navigation system
    � Premium phone features including: noise cancellation technology to offset background noise, Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated �send,� �end,� and �mute� keys, low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth� 2.0, with support for hands-free headsets, stereo headsets (Bluetooth stereo audio profile A2DP/AVRCP), car kits and other Bluetooth accessories
    � 2.0 megapixel camera with support for video capture*, self-portrait mirror, enhanced flash and 5X zoom
    � Easy access to the popular Facebook� for BlackBerry� Smartphones application, in addition to photo sharing applications like Picasa� and Flickr�
    � 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack and dedicated volume controls
    � Advanced media player and enhanced desktop media manager software that makes it easy to move media files between a PC and the BlackBerry Curve 8330 � USB Data Cable comes In-Box
    MicroSD/SDHC memory card slot, providing plenty of additional storage (up to 8 GB)
    � HTML Web browser delivering a fast, rich browser experience and support for streaming video from sites like m.youtube.com (3GPP RTSP streaming protocol over EV-DO)
    � A removable, rechargeable battery, rated for up to 260 minutes of talk time and up to 11 days of standby time
    � In-box accessories include: a stereo headset, travel charger and premium tote sleeve
    05-07-08 01:35 AM
    Thank you, JMart! I overlooked the reference to the SDHC card in the description.

Enjoy your phone, bud.

FYI...I found an 8GB SDHC card on Amazon.com for $55 -- in case you want to upgrade later. HERE
    05-07-08 01:38 AM
    i thought it was os4.5 that would allow us to use the sdhc cards, no? from what people are saying, the curve can't read the extra 4gigs yet.
    05-07-08 01:15 PM
    i thought it was os4.5 that would allow us to use the sdhc cards, no? from what people are saying, the curve can't read the extra 4gigs yet.
    That's okay! I'll gladly wait a while to use the other 4 gigs.
    05-07-08 01:27 PM
    the HC stands for High Capacity. So really a microSDHC is just a higher capacity card than microSD.
    05-07-08 01:28 PM
    The Verizon Curve comes with a 4.3 OS. There is no difference from the CDMA 4.3 and the 4.5 for other carriers. if there is a difference i am yet to find one. 4.3 has video recording, voice recording, youtube streaming etc.
    05-07-08 01:28 PM
    but can os 4.3 read all 8gigs? that's they question, right?
    05-07-08 01:36 PM
    Will the 4.3 work on the curve 8320 for t-mobile?
    05-07-08 01:38 PM
    but can os 4.3 read all 8gigs? that's they question, right?
    OS 4.3 and higher will support cards up to 8gb.

Will the 4.3 work on the curve 8320 for t-mobile?
    No. There isn't a version 4.3 yet for the 8320. You cannot install a different model's OS onto another model.
    05-07-08 01:49 PM
    ive just got my 8gb and it read 7.6 gb idk were the other 400 mb are
    05-25-08 11:27 AM
    ive just got my 8gb and it read 7.6 gb idk were the other 400 mb are

Its the way gigs are measured..Just like having a 16gb Ipod touch, it isn't exactly 16, because the memory needs a certain amount reserved for itself (hard to explain really..). In short, its completely normal..

Later
    05-25-08 02:36 PM
    A metaphor: just like painting stripes and lanes on a blank pavement takes up some of the potential parking space, but by delineating spaces makes it usable, so formatting actually takes up some of the disk capacity, but makes the rest usable. The metaphor breaks down in that the bigger the disk, the larger the formatting space required. Stripe width isn't proportional to parking lot acreage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-08 03:06 PM
    Great info in this thread. I learned something new today.
    05-25-08 03:36 PM
    A metaphor: just like painting stripes and lanes on a blank pavement takes up some of the potential parking space, but by delineating spaces makes it usable, so formatting actually takes up some of the disk capacity, but makes the rest usable. The metaphor breaks down in that the bigger the disk, the larger the formatting space required. Stripe width isn't proportional to parking lot acreage.

Somewhat true, but the real reason is that on packaging, labeling and advertisement 1 gigabyte is defined to be 1,000 megabytes. But for the computer/phone 1 gigabyte is 1,024 (2^10).

That's why 8 gigabytes on a package shows up as ~7813 (8000/1024) megabytes on your phone.
    05-27-08 09:15 AM
    Formatted space is always less than unformatted space. That's the point of the metaphor. You are correct that package advertising rounds off a gigabyte to 1000 MB, but that doesn't explain the difference. A gigabyte is actually 1024 MB, or 1024^3 bytes. So 8GB is 8,589,934,592 bytes. Dividing by 1024 gives 8,388,608 MB. The difference between that and what windows reports is in the formatting space used.
    05-27-08 11:22 AM
    This is excellent inform that what I learning new things and my confidence growing inside me..

thank you!
    06-04-08 07:05 PM
    ok, well i just got os 4.5.0.44 and it's working just fine, can i now use an 8gb card. will the os read the gb?
    06-23-08 06:52 PM
    Yes, assuming that part of the beta OS is working properly.

06-23-08 07:04 PM
    Have had 4.5 since first announced and I have had no major problems except the following; unable to get Tell Me or Viigo anymore. Are they not compatible with 4.5 or have I done something wrong. Everything else works great, You tube,etc. Any help?
    06-23-08 07:15 PM
    I would tell you if I knew, but I don't. Since this thread is regarding SD vs SDHC cards, you're more likely to get an answer by posting a new thread, or searching for a more appropriate thread in which to post.

06-23-08 07:24 PM
    On page 19 of "Tips, hints and shortcuts" (footnoted in the booklet that comes with the Curve 8330) it says:

"The BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone accepts microSD cards of all sizes; the amount of storage is determined by card capacity."

Does this mean, then, it will accept the 16 GB SDHC cards?
    03-12-09 02:33 PM
    On page 19 of "Tips, hints and shortcuts" (footnoted in the booklet that comes with the Curve 8330) it says:

"The BlackBerry Curve 8330 smartphone accepts microSD cards of all sizes; the amount of storage is determined by card capacity."

Does this mean, then, it will accept the 16 GB SDHC cards?
    Good question. I don't know if the Curve is designed to handle a 16GB card. I'm using an 8GB card.

Maybe another thread will have an answer for you.
    03-12-09 02:39 PM
    It is all an estimated amount. They are just stating that it is in the 8gb category......
    03-12-09 02:46 PM
    I read in another thread today a guy with an 8330 was using a 16gb card with around 10 movies ripped to it so i guess it is possible........
    03-12-09 03:11 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD