Okay. so there are alot of these but hear me out.

During a trip to NYC, my brothers 8330m stopped responding to anything he typed. For example, the keyboard, the menu key, end and send key, back button, mute key, volume rockers, trackball clicks and convenience keys all stopped working.

Obviously he couldn't get the phone's screen to turn on without clicking anything so he rebooted.

After a reboot, the phone was able to move the trackball around. the cursor would move up and down and right and left but never click.

few days later, I took the phone apart. and found out that the keyboard module was part of the radio and thus could not switch it with my old 8330 that had a ripped radio cord.

I gave up and let the battery commit suicide.

Today, a few weeks after everything above, I revived the phone and It was able to click and everything! Everything worked. but, I wanted to update the OS.

After the first installation, the trackball wouldnt even move,
    then after a reboot, only the movment would work but no buttons.

WHAT CAN I DO!?
    06-10-11 11:22 AM
    Tell him to get a new phone, 2008 is over.
    06-10-11 11:30 AM
    My wife's 8330m did exactly the same (except it would only scroll up/down, not left/right too). We had the protection plan on it, called Sprint and they immediately sent a replacement when I described the symptoms. The keyboard would act weird on hot/humid days, so we figure it was some sort of short in the keyboard.

Sprint has not sold the 8330 in almost 2 years, your friend is likely eligible for an upgrade at this point, and telesales will most likely work with him on getting a new BB (the 9330 and the 9670 are usually free with renewal) if he doesn't have the protection plan on his account.
    06-10-11 12:18 PM
    Tell him to get a new phone, 2008 is over.
    His upgrade is in a few months and he will get the Evo 3D or the Nexus S3

My wife's 8330m did exactly the same (except it would only scroll up/down, not left/right too). We had the protection plan on it, called Sprint and they immediately sent a replacement when I described the symptoms. The keyboard would act weird on hot/humid days, so we figure it was some sort of short in the keyboard.

Sprint has not sold the 8330 in almost 2 years, your friend is likely eligible for an upgrade at this point, and telesales will most likely work with him on getting a new BB (the 9330 and the 9670 are usually free with renewal) if he doesn't have the protection plan on his account.
    I called them and they told me that the manufacturers warranty is over they refuse to get him a new phone because they are mean like that.
    06-10-11 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD