My daughter's Curve 8330 begins a reboot cycle anytime she attempts to charge the phone. This happens when using a cradle, wall charger, car charger, or computer USB connection. The only way to fix the phone after this happens is to pull the battery. However, sometimes when the battery is put back in, the "No Battery" symbol comes up on the screen. It will usually respond and turn on after a couple of pulls.

Can anybody tell me if this is an OS problem or a hardware problem in the phone? When the phone is on, it appears to operate properly. Currently, I charge my battery, and swap it with hers, then recharge my phone. The battery seems to be just fine and works in my phone.

I am thinking about redoing the OS, but only want to do this as a last resort. I can't backup her phone because everytime I try to connect it ot the computer, it starts the reboot process.

Any help anyone can provide would be great! Thanks in advance.
    11-06-10 01:18 PM
    If she is concerned about saving her contacts, I would see if you can take the phone to a mobile store and have them copy the contacts using a cellebrite machine to another device. Hopefully that'd connect to the phone without shutting it down. Then I'd wipe it and re-install the OS from the ground up. There also may be a hardware short in the usb port/power jack that is making the phone shut down.
    11-06-10 01:28 PM
    My daughter's Curve 8330 begins a reboot cycle anytime she attempts to charge the phone. This happens when using a cradle, wall charger, car charger, or computer USB connection. The only way to fix the phone after this happens is to pull the battery. However, sometimes when the battery is put back in, the "No Battery" symbol comes up on the screen. It will usually respond and turn on after a couple of pulls.

Can anybody tell me if this is an OS problem or a hardware problem in the phone? When the phone is on, it appears to operate properly. Currently, I charge my battery, and swap it with hers, then recharge my phone. The battery seems to be just fine and works in my phone.

I am thinking about redoing the OS, but only want to do this as a last resort. I can't backup her phone because everytime I try to connect it ot the computer, it starts the reboot process.

Any help anyone can provide would be great! Thanks in advance.
    From what you say about the battery working fine in your device, it sounds to me like hers has a faulty port. About the only remedy for that would be a replacement.
    11-06-10 03:13 PM
    Sounds like you have a short or maybe a bent pin in the USB port. Have you tried using a charging cradle? Also, if you want to copy her contacts to a new phone, open a free account at miqlive.com and then sync the phone there. If you want to try wiping and reinstalling the OS, or you get a new BB, sync with miqlive again and the contacts will be copied to the phone.
    11-06-10 03:26 PM
    We had most of her contacts backed up. She copied the remainder manually.

Yes, we have tried a charging cradle. When using the cradle, the same thing happens; the phone turns off and then shows a battery with a red slash through it.

I followed the steps on Crackberry to reinstall the OS using the App Loader. I get all the way to the point where the software is waiting for the phone to initialize and, bam, it won't initialize because it is showing a screen with a battery with a red slash through it. If I leave the battery out, it won't initialize either.

It seems to me like something is wrong with the charging circuit in the phone as it doesn't matter how I connect the phone for charging - cradle or usb port. That's why I thought maybe it was the OS. However, now I'm thinking something went in the firmware.

Does anybody have any further ideas?
    11-07-10 03:47 PM
    I actually found another thread on here that address the same problem. I found the thread by searching for "battery with red line".

These threads talk about dropping the phone to regain the connection between the battery terminals and the motherboard. I ended up taking the phone apart and gently bent the battery connector fingers that make contact with the motherboard.

After reassembly, the phone works fine and will charge again using the cradle or usb port.

You can find disassembly instructions by searching Crackberry.
    11-07-10 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD