Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    I acquired my blackberry from a friend who never had the phone activated.

It's a VZW 8330 curve, and I, being the cheap **** that I am, have opted to run this phone on Metro PCS, because money's tight, and I only know one other person with a blackberry, so messenger and extended blackberry functions aren't really that important to me anyway.

Plus, I figure this would be kind of a fun learning experience, because word on the street is that these things are finnicky and kind of troublesome to flash. I read up a bit on, and downloaded QPST, and managed to flash the phone over to metropcs, so I have basic talk and text functions, but what I do not have, is browser capability or picture messaging... I think I'm on the verge of doing this properly, and I know that it can be done (but again, I'm a broke college student who can't afford to shell out 100 bucks for someone else to just do it (as I have seen done to other vzw bb's)).

I think that my last step is configuring the tcp settings, but my blackberry doesn't have that option available in the menu Options->Advanced Options->and nothing about tcp settings.

I've installed the newest version of the software, and brought it back down to older versions, and nothing seems to make this option available.

Any insight or help in getting me access to these settings?

I have familiarized myself fairly well with QPST, a little bit with QDXM, and I have a copy of CrackUtil, which admittedly, I haven't dug that much into.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    01-04-10 06:06 PM
    wow, I didn't realize that the title of a steve martin film was considered a bad word...
    01-04-10 06:07 PM
    Bad Word???.... you need to have a data plan with your carrier for the internet email mms etc... (not sure about mms on data) When you reg. your bb on the carriers bis site you just enter the username and password and bis does the rest. Your device is not wifi enabled so you need the data plan for mail and surfing and all the neat online stuff.
    01-04-10 07:31 PM
    the word it kicked out was "J 3 R K," which I figured would be perfectly fine in a self-deprecating way.

I understand what you are saying, but there is another way to do this.

Metro PCS refuses to acknowledge other company's bb's via their metroflash plan. I would assume mostly because they want people to cough up the 450 bucks, or... I think it might even be 300 by now... anyway, it's been done, countless times. I've seen people access web via the bb browser, as well as operamini- without additional plans. What I believe happens is that metropcs just doesn't acknowledge the phone as a blackberry, the way these "100 bucks a pop" guys are doing it. I had some god awful samsung 79 dollar phone before, and it had picture mail, web, text, and talk.

I KNOW the blackberry's can do it. I just want to know how I get my tcp settings on my phone... it's weird, they just don't exist.
    01-04-10 07:52 PM
    Maybe a google search... I think you are saying you can use a cheaper plan and get internet and mail.... maybe you can. I think the bb's work by bis retrieves mail and pushes it to your device pin number not a server setting. Maybe wrong here but I think I am right. If you figure out how to get on line you could check gmail etc.. without bb push,
    01-04-10 08:08 PM
    Eh, google has not been very friendly. I've seen other posts by people who are in a similar predicament, except after paying for the phone to be "flashed" they did something like a clean bb desktop manager install of the os, only to find they lost web and mms. I don't think I've ever, via google, or out and about, ever heard of a flashed one having email straight to the phone.

Also, that's why I'm asking... if you type blackberry and any variation of "where is tcp settings / tcp settings missing / etc" you get a whole lot of clutter, much of which has more to do with pc's than this weirdness.... because truth be told, I think it was there before I set the phone up with the right prl.... but I didn't want to put the cart in front of the mule. Maybe I was wrong...
    Last edited by thisisantiproductive; 01-04-10 at 09:37 PM. Reason: omission
    01-04-10 09:35 PM
    Yes once you install the os it is exactly that an operating system...your carrier provides browser, maps nav etc... via service books
    01-04-10 09:42 PM
    Eh, google has not been very friendly. I've seen other posts by people who are in a similar predicament, except after paying for the phone to be "flashed" they did something like a clean bb desktop manager install of the os, only to find they lost web and mms. I don't think I've ever, via google, or out and about, ever heard of a flashed one having email straight to the phone.

Also, that's why I'm asking... if you type blackberry and any variation of "where is tcp settings / tcp settings missing / etc" you get a whole lot of clutter, much of which has more to do with pc's than this weirdness.... because truth be told, I think it was there before I set the phone up with the right prl.... but I didn't want to put the cart in front of the mule. Maybe I was wrong...
    You need to load modified service books through the BB Desktop Manager. You can find what you need on active Metropcs threads at Howard Forums or Mobile-Files
    01-04-10 10:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD