In the camera mode the volume buttons and the trackball are supposed to let you zoom in up to 5x. I can't get mine to. Am I missing something?
    08-28-08 12:36 PM
    What you want to do is turn off your phone, then remove your battery, then once you put the battery back in and it powers up, the camera should zoom in to 5x again. I think the camera just needs to reset itself, and taking the battery out does that.
    08-28-08 01:23 PM
    That is not correct. Taking the battery out with the device powered off will do nothing. You need to pull the battery while the phone is powered on. Try a soft reset before you try a battery pull, however, by pressing ALT+right shift+DEL.
    08-28-08 01:32 PM
    On or off doesn't matter, pull the battery and there's no power, so it resets. But the best thing to try first is alt-shift-del.
    Yes, this does matter. Please do your research before posting incorrect information.
    08-28-08 02:47 PM
    When you remove the battery with the phone powered off, you are doing nothing. The phone is already receiving no power - hence, it is OFF. When you remove the battery from a device which is powered on, however, you are forcing it to reset. I am not fighting, either, just stating a well-known fact.
    08-28-08 02:58 PM
    I've always read on here that when you do battery pulls you always do them when the phone is on.
    08-28-08 02:59 PM
    A Soft Reset can be done by holding down [Alt] and [Num] and hitting the [Del] key (where [Alt] is the bottom key in the left most column of the keyboard, and [Num] is the bottom key in the second from the left column, and [Del] is typically the second key from the top in the rightmost column).

A Hard Reset is a Battery Pull. This can sometimes also be done by using the [Alt][Num][Del] twice in a row, but the battery pull is more reliable. If the device doesn't sit with the hour glass for at least a few seconds (up to 30+ on some devices!), and do a full security scan of the software, you don't have a hard reset.

These are NOT the same as a power off / power on cycle. I've seen situations where a power cycle doesn't reset the device - it just comes up with the same problem, and I've seen situations where a soft reset doesn't clear a problem and only a Battery Pull works.
    08-28-08 03:03 PM
    I don't see how your post proves anything. In fact, I would venture to say you are the only person I have EVER heard dispute the fact that a battery pull (IE hard reset) is effective when the device is not powered on.
    08-28-08 03:18 PM
    Pretty much ask anyone who is a CB member, and they will tell you that in order to perform a hard reset, the device indeed needs to be powered on. That was my only point.
    08-28-08 03:31 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/battery-pull-47058/

Lot's BES admin's in there as well.. But that's just me
    08-28-08 03:36 PM
    Well, I was trying to put it into simple terms for a newbie poster.
    08-28-08 03:52 PM
    Well hopefully in the end when the original poster does come back to the thread, he or she isn't totally confused now from us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hehe... Oh, they will be.
    08-28-08 03:59 PM
    The soft pull that was suggested worked great for me .

THANKS so much.
    08-30-08 07:09 PM
    Thanks everyone the soft pull did not work but the hard pull did.
    09-02-08 12:30 PM
    I had the same problem with zooming and the soft pull worked for me. Thanks!
    11-08-08 09:05 AM
    Same problem, soft reset didn't work... hard reset did. Thanks!
    12-18-08 06:20 AM
    The soft pull worked for me also.
    08-19-09 06:03 PM
    battery pull fixed my problem not sure what the other boot is or buttons no num ?
    09-09-09 02:53 PM
    Pretty much ask anyone who is a CB member, and they will tell you that in order to perform a hard reset, the device indeed needs to be powered on. That was my only point.
    Did they remove the posters posts? Or are you posting to an imaginary friend??

I have read that the soft reboot Alt, right shift delete if repeated during reboot will preform a hard reboot like the battery pull..
    09-09-09 03:06 PM
    THANKS! I was totally lost without the zoom. I have to take pix of licenses when I notarize. Without the zoom I couldn't do it. I tried everything.......finally I came to CrackBerry.....(shoulda come here first!) and my zoom was back in minutes thanks to the suggestion you guys gave: Leave device ON. Take out battery for 30 seconds. Put it back in. WAIT. It takes a few minutes, so don't panic! It will be working again.
    10-05-09 01:00 PM
    Soft pull hard pull aside, why does it stop zooming in the first place? This seems like a problem.
    10-10-09 05:08 AM
    thanks for the info. i had this problem but with my 8310!
    10-10-09 12:36 PM
    Newbie here, thankfully I had the sense to search for 'camera zoom' and found these helpful ideas. I did the battery pull with BlackBerry 8330 on. Lo and behold, the camera zooms!
    Thanks everyone!
    10-10-09 12:51 PM
    I also had this exact same problem... I did a battery reset and it fixed the issue!
    10-10-09 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD