Does anyone have any experience with the reassembly kids being sold by Cellphone Repair Shop? Basically, it's a kit to replace the 8330 housing with a different 83** housing.

You can checkout the link here:
    Blackberry Cellphone Part # BB8330KitRED Blackberry Curve CDMA 8330 Complete Re-Assembly RED Housing Kit RIM

They have a few options.

It's expensive, but if it works and isn't terribly difficult I would like to try it.

The website doesn't have any instructions on how you would actually go about it and they say that no instructions are included.
    06-30-08 01:13 PM
    Does anyone have any experience with the reassembly kids being sold by Cellphone Repair Shop? Basically, it's a kit to replace the 8330 housing with a different 83** housing.

You can checkout the link here:
    Blackberry Cellphone Part # BB8330KitRED Blackberry Curve CDMA 8330 Complete Re-Assembly RED Housing Kit RIM

They have a few options.

It's expensive, but if it works and isn't terribly difficult I would like to try it.

The website doesn't have any instructions on how you would actually go about it and they say that no instructions are included.
    CrackBanker - it's not terribly hard if you have the right tools. I switched the housing on my 8830 (first one I ever did) and it turned out great. Since then i have done about 100 for friends and co-workers because i have a buddy whom is a graphic artist and we started our own cheaper colorware.

All in all - go for it.
    06-30-08 01:22 PM
    That's wild that its so expensive IMO. Seems like a lot to pay for a new housing. I'd go half that to be reasonable.
    06-30-08 01:26 PM
    That's wild that its so expensive IMO. Seems like a lot to pay for a new housing. I'd go half that to be reasonable.

Wow I didn't take any mention of that ridiculous price tag. I agree with Azeis - even at 1/2 that price would be a bit steap.
    06-30-08 01:43 PM
    CrackBanker - it's not terribly hard if you have the right tools. I switched the housing on my 8830 (first one I ever did) and it turned out great. Since then i have done about 100 for friends and co-workers because i have a buddy whom is a graphic artist and we started our own cheaper colorware.

All in all - go for it.
    What model of housing did you replace yours with? What extra pieces did you need?

I was always under the impression that you couldn't just slap another housing on the 8330 since it is different. Can you give an idea on how it's done?

Thanks!
    06-30-08 01:46 PM
    The BlackBerry site lists the dimensions as follows.

In mm the 8330 is slightly thicker than the others. In inches it's the same . This is an 8310 cate because a careful look at the pic reveals the at&t logo on the bottom panel. I have an at&t crimson and have the same logo on my phone.

If you really want to try this, then look here first 8310 - Motorola, SonyEricsson, Sony, NEC, Mobiado, Accessories Store, Tools, Dopod/O2, They sell the same thing for $43.99. Theses guys have a pretty good rep on Crackberry.

Nonetheless I would be a little careful about trying to shoehorn an 8310 case onto an 8330.

If you want to spend $100 on a flash looking Blackberry then have a look over here ColorWare

DIMENSIONS
    Size and Weight
    • 4.2"/107mm (Length)
    • 2.4"/60mm (Width)
    • 0.6"/16.1mm (Depth)
    • 4.02 oz/114g (Weight)

Size and Weight
    • 4.2"/107mm (Length)
    • 2.4"/60mm (Width)
    • 0.6"/15.5mm (Depth)
    • 3.9 oz/111g (Weight)

Size and Weight
    • 4.2"/107mm (Length)
    • 2.4"/60mm (Width)
    • 0.6"/15.5mm (Depth)
    • 3.9 oz/111g (Weight)

Size and Weight
    • 4.2"/107mm (Length)
    • 2.4"/60mm (Width)
    • 0.6"/15.5mm (Depth)
    • 3.9 oz/111g (Weight)
    06-30-08 02:22 PM
    Most people are aware of the size differences between the different Curves. That's why I was asking what kind of process is involved with making the 8330 compatible with a different model housing.

it is already obvious from this thread that there are people who have done it.

Colorware also isn't an option for people living outside of the states, unless they've changed their policies... or people who just want a brand new housing because the one they have now is scuffed.
    06-30-08 02:56 PM
    Most people are aware of the size differences between the different Curves. That's why I was asking what kind of process is involved with making the 8330 compatible with a different model housing.

it is already obvious from this thread that there are people who have done it.

Colorware also isn't an option for people living outside of the states, unless they've changed their policies... or people who just want a brand new housing because the one they have now is scuffed.
    Whilst it is obvious that many people, me included have done case swaps, it is not evident, to me, at least that an 8310 case has been successfully fitted to an 8330. In fact I have seen threads in here where this has been specificaly contra-indicated.

To answer your original question, I do not know for sure and I would not attempt it. Who knows what has changed, screw holes, ventilation slots, switch positions?

On youtube there are a couple of Curve videos. One,
    Blackberry Curve 8300 Screen Removal & Take Apart, clearly shows the disassembly process. Perhaps this will help you.
    06-30-08 03:08 PM
    Just love her for who she is.......If I want a different color I just go to the Mall buy a snap on colored case.
    06-30-08 03:42 PM
    I do see that the 8330 has the green signal blinking light right on the lens cover, and the other GSM one's have the light right on the housing on the top right. I don't know if you get the whole kit from a GSM model and put the insides of the CDMA if it would work. I'm waiting to get the Red housing for my Sprint 8330 but for now I painted this cover Blue.
    06-30-08 03:59 PM
    Holy cow... thanks for the headsup on ColorWare! That is sweet! I may have to work an extra $100 into my BB budget.

Brandon
    Last edited by NeveSSL; 06-30-08 at 04:25 PM.
    06-30-08 04:20 PM
    Okay...so so far no one has really helped me out... there's been some "Ohhh, I would NEVER do that", etc.

I posted a link for a company who sells a kit that allows you to put a 8330 into a different model housing (Curve).

Has anyone bought this kit or done something similar on their own?

How did they do it?

I don't need peoples warnings or 'Love it for what it is'.
    06-30-08 04:30 PM
    That hurts
    06-30-08 04:39 PM
    So you're just wanting someone to tell you to do it then, correct?

Do it!

Then we can only verify if people's warnings were good or not.

Brandon
    06-30-08 04:43 PM
    So you're just wanting someone to tell you to do it then, correct?

Do it!

Then we can only verify if people's warnings were good or not.

Brandon
    Go and reread the thread.

It has already been established that it has been done and there are companies that sell kits to do it. The question is what are the steps?
    06-30-08 04:47 PM
    Okay...so so far no one has really helped me out... there's been some "Ohhh, I would NEVER do that", etc.

I posted a link for a company who sells a kit that allows you to put a 8330 into a different model housing (Curve). And I said this was an 8310 case. READ MY POST!

Has anyone bought this kit or done something similar on their own? NO because we know better.

How did they do it? We did not.

I HAVE helped you out. I have TOLD you what I think, twice. AGAIN, I would NOT do this.

I shall not repond again.
    06-30-08 05:19 PM
    I HAVE helped you out. I have TOLD you what I think, twice. AGAIN, I would NOT do this.

I shall not repond again.
    Thank you. Your information is helpful to those who know nothing about the housings. However, I am well versed in the differences between the 8330 and the other housings.

Someone earlier in the thread said they have done it... so I want to know how.

I have every intention of changing the housing on my phone. Unfortunately, it took a tumble and is all scratched up. I have been waiting patiently for 8330 housings to come out... but I am tired of waiting.
    06-30-08 05:59 PM
    I have actually taken my 8330 apart but just to see how hard it is to take apart. I can say its not that hard at all, so I'm also waiting to see if I can find a Red housing that would fit on the 8330 or if the full housing would fit from a GSM Curve
    06-30-08 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD