Hi...NooB here. Second time posting this!

Basically, I have a BB 8330 that I bought because the agent told me I could use it internationally. That was obviously not true. I am planning on going to Spain for a few months. Should I pay extra and change to the 8830, or is there a way for me to switch carriers when I go there with my current BB?

I know it does not have the SIM card. But could I flash? Vodafone in Spain has BB Curves but not the 8330. Is that a problem?

Does flashing and unlocking (and putting a new SIM card in) give you a new number?

My goal would be to use the phone in Spain with a local number so it wouldn't be long distance to call my contacts in Spain.

Lot's of questions! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tiffany
    09-10-08 03:21 PM
    No you can't use the 8330 it's a CDMA phone, the other curves are GSM.
    09-10-08 03:45 PM
    The 88' would be your best bet becasue it supports both CDMA (North America) and GSM (International).

The BlackBerry� 8830 World Edition smartphone is the stylish way to get things done. It’s the first CDMA BlackBerry smartphone capable of roaming globally on GSM�/GPRS networks*. So you can travel the world with full mobile voice and data coverage, without having to change smartphones, phone numbers or email addresses.
    When you get to Spain, buy a prepaid SIM card from a local carrier. The number will be assigned to the SIM card, not the device.
    09-10-08 03:48 PM
    Hi...NooB here. Second time posting this!

Basically, I have a BB 8330 that I bought because the agent told me I could use it internationally. That was obviously not true. I am planning on going to Spain for a few months. Should I pay extra and change to the 8830, or is there a way for me to switch carriers when I go there with my current BB?

I know it does not have the SIM card. But could I flash? Vodafone in Spain has BB Curves but not the 8330. Is that a problem?

Does flashing and unlocking (and putting a new SIM card in) give you a new number?

My goal would be to use the phone in Spain with a local number so it wouldn't be long distance to call my contacts in Spain.

Lot's of questions! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tiffany

You need to make absolutely sure your carrier (looks like Airtel?) actually supports the WE portion of the 8830. My carrier sells the 8830 and it even says World Edition on it, but it won't work with a SIM.
    09-10-08 03:52 PM
    No you can't use the 8330 it's a CDMA phone, the other curves are GSM.
    Thanks. yeah, I know it's a CDMA phone. But you can switch carriers with CDMA phones too as long as that carrier also has CDMA.
    09-10-08 05:09 PM
    You need to make absolutely sure your carrier (looks like Airtel?) actually supports the WE portion of the 8830. My carrier sells the 8830 and it even says World Edition on it, but it won't work with a SIM.
    Oops...sorry. My carrier is actually Alltel.

Actually, I researched the 8830 and what makes it unique is that it is CDMA and has the SIM card as well. Alltel does offer the 8830 which they will let me switch to since they misinformed me about the capabilities of the 8330. Thanks!
    09-10-08 05:11 PM
    The 88' would be your best bet becasue it supports both CDMA (North America) and GSM (International).

When you get to Spain, buy a prepaid SIM card from a local carrier. The number will be assigned to the SIM card, not the device.
    So you don't think I could somehow get the 8330 to work?

I keep trying to come up with a solution, but I guess I'll just have to suck it up and switch to the 8830. Thank you!
    09-10-08 05:13 PM
    No it won't work in Spain.
    09-10-08 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD