So I'm guessing this will work for most Phones that have a trackball... My wife has an 8320 and could scroll, but couldn't select anything using it. After calling tech support and them telling her to upgrade to the latest device software with her already having it, here's what they had her do:

This part will work I'd guess for all Blackberrys

Go to Options: Status:

Once here, type in test
    Press the blackberry menu
    Start test

FYI -- if you test the keyboard, the only way I saw out of it was to pull the battery...so if there is another way, please respond to this.

This little ditty will essentially allow you to test the things of your phone...from keyboard inputs, to speakers...even the trackball.

I have a storm so I can't test the trackball, however, once my wife pulled her battery and restarted her phone...her scrolling and selecting with the trackball seemed to work again. So much for the upgrade theory.

Hope this helps.
    01-29-10 09:38 AM
    Can't say whether your solution will work for everyone else, but this thread will definitely help others who are having problems due to hardware issues (dirty microswitch or missing/lost dome cover):

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/tra...le-now-300038/

There is a link in post #1 from BigBadWulf for cleaning the microswitch under the trackball.
    01-29-10 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD