I have an 8320 which I'm very impressed with (especially the ability to be able to make phone calls on a wifi network as we don't get very good mobile network coverage at our house). However I seem to have a slight hitch when connecting to the internet.

You can assume that when I'm at home I'm always on wifi as there's no mobile network, and when I'm at work I'm on the mobile network.

If I'm at home using wifi, sometimes I can't connect to the internet as the bb browser seems to think its looking for a mobile network. I also have Opera mini installed, and sometimes that connects when the bb browser won't and vice versa. Sometimes neither can connect. The wifi network is always present with a good signal strength.

In the same way, if I've been at home and managed to connect and then go to work and try to connect using the mobile network sometimes I get the same problem but the other way round. ie the bb browser hangs and wont connect to the internet, or the Opera mini won't connect.

As the push email doen't work over wifi, I've also installed the gmail application, and sometimes that won't load up the inbox view when I'm at home on the wifi.

These symptoms don't always happen, just ocassionally. Most of the time if one browser can't connect, the other one can. Sometimes a reboot will sort it out, but I don't want to have to do that every day. I just wondered if anyone else gets this problem, or if anyone can offer a solution??
    07-25-08 09:58 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

If I'm at home using wifi, sometimes I can't connect to the internet as the bb browser seems to think its looking for a mobile network. ...
    I suspect there is a setting issue at the heart of the mystery.

When you save a bookmark, there are seperated settings depending on which Brower you have active, mobile or hotspot.

BM discusses this in some detail in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/
    07-25-08 10:03 AM
    Thanks, its nice to be here!

I'm at work at the moment on a mobile network. I just read the thread and tweaked a couple of settings. I changed the browser configuration and general properties to from internet browser to wifi browser, and it stopped me connecting to the mobile internet. It connected again when I switched the connection back.

Maybe I have to manually tell it that I'm on a mobile or wifi network in the settings?
    07-25-08 10:21 AM
    Thanks, its nice to be here!

I'm at work at the moment on a mobile network. I just read the thread and tweaked a couple of settings. I changed the browser configuration and general properties to from internet browser to wifi browser, and it stopped me connecting to the mobile internet. It connected again when I switched the connection back.

Maybe I have to manually tell it that I'm on a mobile or wifi network in the settings?
    Welcome to CrackBerry!! Please take the time to check out my WiFi guide when you have the chance!

The mobile network will automatically switch between UMA and EDGE when you have WiFi preferred turned on, but this does not change the Browsers settings!! <<---

That is your sole problem... once that is sorted out you can browse on the Internet Browser and WiFi browser fine. It is a pain to have to switch between the two and I wish there was a fix or it was built into the OS to automatically detect, but it is not... so this will do!
    07-25-08 10:27 AM
    Aha, I didn't realise that that was the case. That would explain it all.

Thankyou.
    07-25-08 10:37 AM
    Aha, I didn't realise that that was the case. That would explain it all.

Thankyou.
    Yeah, no problem!! And, also be aware that the different browsers (Internet and WiFi) have a different set of bookmarks and a different set of configuration settings.

Each one acts independently of the other... so if you bookmark something in WiFi it will not be in the Internet browser. I prefer the BB Browser... so I always use that.

Some people use the OperaMini for all the WiFi browsing and just keep the BB Browser set on internet browser all of the time. You can change a setting in OperaMini to make it a WiFi browser for its connection. Just be aware that OperaMini does not allow you to install from OTA links... you can only do that in BBBrowser.
    07-25-08 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD