Hey guys.
    So about 2 weeks ago I've been having some issues with my Curve 8320. I'll be in the middle of a phone call and my Curve will just shut off, even with full connection to my carrier and full battery power. But it doesn't just happen with phone calls I could just have my Curve sitting there and it will randomly shut off and even the battery pull won't turn it back on. I have to hook it up to my charger in order for it to turn back on. I've tried the battery pull, updating my os, deleting everything off my memory card, deleting viigo and opera mini (heard it could cause this problem), wiped handheld, and even left my memory card out while using the phone for a couple days. I still have the same problem occurring... and at this point I don't know what else to do! Now I'm having to use my Pearl 8100 cause I can't use a phone that shuts itself off everytime I'm on a call or just texting.
    SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
    06-28-08 10:47 AM
    I have an 8310 and I will be talking and it will turn itself off! I've had it almost a month and its done in about 3 times. If I let it just sit there it will turn itself back on but it takes a really long time. I've held down the power button and nothing seems to make the process any faster.. I'm getting really annoyed and I'm about to just return it and get a new one. How long have you had yours and did it get worse over time? I'm researching the problem and if I find anything out I will let you know.
    06-28-08 06:37 PM
    Hey there. My 8320 is about 6 months old... and I have been noticing that it has been getting worse and worse over time. I first noticed that my 8320 was having issues about 2 weeks ago. It just randomly shut off while I was in a phone call. I didn't think much of it... but it began to get worse and worse it continues to drop calls EVERY time I'm trying to make a call and even when I'm listening to music, or texting or even when the phone is just sitting on my table it will RANDOMLY shut itself off. Problem is the only way I can get it to turn back on is to plug it into the charger a battery reset doesn't even work. It seems to me that alot of the 8300 series blackberries are having this problem! :|
    06-30-08 08:35 PM
    I have an Alltel 8330. It's the best little electronic device that I have EVER owned, except for the same thing that everyone else's is doing - random reboot / shutoffs. When this happen it comes back on, but only after it cycles through the 2-3 minute reboot sequence. Very annoying if I'm in the middle of using it.

This is actually my second one. The first one was doing the same thing so I returned it and got another new one. Now this one is doing the exact same thing. I'm really disappointed in it. I don't want to go back up for a third Blackberry but I'm not sure what else to do. It has reset itself 4-5 times just today already.

I quit using Palm PDAs for this exact same reason, but my Blackberry is so much better than my Palms that I'm willing to try and work things out.

Anyone have any good news on this problem???
    Last edited by Cammer; 06-30-08 at 09:03 PM.
    06-30-08 09:00 PM
    Wow this problem is just spreading more and more like a virus lol. I honestly don't know what to do anymore... I've tried everything to fix it! Updated OS, wiped handheld, reformatted memory card, took memory card out and still it's not fixed! I can't use this Curve because it drops phone calls 24/7 so I've been using my 8100 Pearl for the moment. But I called my phone carrier (Fido) and they wouldn't help me out since my phone is not supported by them. But I did however speak to RIM and according to the man I spoke to he never heard of anyone having this problem...? :S He said the best he could do for me is exchange my Curve for one of their refurb Curve's. Anyone know how to fix this?!!?
    Last edited by rozzy9; 06-30-08 at 10:01 PM.
    06-30-08 09:30 PM
    Sorry I can't help either, but wanted to chime in as having the same problem. Happened a couple time in the past few weeks. Both times in the middle of a call. Pretty annoying actually. Guess it might be time for a phone swap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 09:44 PM
    It's funny how the guy at RIM never heard of the problem but the forum has many postings on this issue. Not only on this forum either. A websearch turns up a significant number of hits on this subject. The kid I dealt with at Alltel said that exchanging phones usually fixes the problem, so I know he has heard of it as well.

A refurb might not be a bad idea since it should be checked out and fixed to work right. Of course I would expect a brand new BB to be at least that good.
    06-30-08 09:56 PM
    I know I found it amusing when the RIM guy said he never heard of this problem... you can find it written everywhere! lol. But I'm really starting to hate my Curve now... it's so annoying! :|
    Last edited by rozzy9; 06-30-08 at 10:05 PM.
    06-30-08 09:57 PM
    well.... i am on my second BB curve thru sprint. The first day I had my first one it froze up and reset itself. I had it for two weeks before returning it, freezing up everyday. Three of my friends have the same exact phone thru verizon and alltel and they have no problems. My second phone came and the SAME exact thing is happening. I really thought this was just a sprint issue. I just got off the phone with the tech @ sprint. He told me that there may be a virus that was transfered over when I imported my contacts. He said that i should reinstall the software and manually enter in each contact.....that is going to take forever!!! Plus there is no guarantee it will work. Has anyone tried that already??

frustrated
    06-30-08 10:06 PM
    I don't think that you got a virus.. but I guess it's possible? Never tried that to fix the problem tho... but I guess it's worth a try?
    06-30-08 10:08 PM
    If your going to manually enter you contacts, which I would expect to make any difference, I would only enter your most needed and use that for a few days or until the first lockup. Then you can rule it out with out entering all of you contacts, since that could be a lot.

07-01-08 05:11 AM
    I'm waiting for my 3rd 8320 in the 9 months since I first purchased it. The first one lost its trackball (I did not drop it), that replacement now shuts the power off at various times, sometimes within a call, sometimes not. The software upgrade made it worse, even though we didn't install anything but the basic programs that came with the Blackberry when I first opened the box.

I am really worried about this model. My husband has the same phone and his powers on and off too, he has had his just three months. There has to be some hardware issue with this series. The way it looks, the 8320 has an average life span of 3 to 6 months. So what happens when my warranty is over? I will soon be stuck with an inoperable phone, unless Research in Motion finds it within their heart to issue me a fourth.

Something must be wrong with this.

Traci
    07-23-08 02:06 PM
    So a couple months later... my phone is finally fixed. I ended up sending my Curve with my cousin to Italy because his friend fixes cell phones so he said he would get him to take a look at it for me. The problem was my battery... my battery got so swollen that it couldn't even fit in my phone anymore and it was causing my phone to shut off. I now replaced my battery yesterday morning and no restarts since. Maybe your phone needs a battery replacement as well?
    08-26-08 10:51 AM
    From what I am reading, you guys all have new BlackBerrys, right?

My 8310 is very reliable BUT only since I did the follwoing:
    - running OS 4.2.2.194 (I found that ANY version of OS 4.5 caused re-boots during calls)
    - remove unwanted rubbish installed by your carrier prior to sales.

To find which OS you are running go to Options, About and check the 3rd line down. If it starts with 4.5.anything you may (I stress may) have trouble.

Now also check Options, Status and check the File Free number. You need about 12Mb but the number is in bytes so divide by 1 million to get a useful number.

There are a number of Memory optimization threads around but you may need to be a bit more familiar with your devices before you start tweaking you Operating System. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/ is about the best of these links and I also reccomend that you take a look in the Newbies section cuz there's a load of useful stuff in there too.

To get some quick memory back, go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications and scroll down to the BlackBerry Sample Video. Press Menu and select Delete. You just got 2Mb memory back.

One other thing that has been known to cause sponaneous reboots is a faulty battery as rozzy9 says. The phone continuously checks the battery voltage and if - for any reason this drops below the minimum the phone will shut down. This usually occurs under load i.e. during a call.
    Last edited by Pete6; 08-26-08 at 12:36 PM.
    08-26-08 12:32 PM
    CrackBerry User
    Device Model: 8320, 8100
    Carrier: Fido

Default 8320 Curve Keeps Turning Itself Off!
    Hey guys.
    So about 2 weeks ago I've been having some issues with my Curve 8320. I'll be in the middle of a phone call and my Curve will just shut off, even with full connection to my carrier and full battery power. But it doesn't just happen with phone calls I could just have my Curve sitting there and it will randomly shut off and even the battery pull won't turn it back on. I have to hook it up to my charger in order for it to turn back on. I've tried the battery pull, updating my os, deleting everything off my memory card, deleting viigo and opera mini (heard it could cause this problem), wiped handheld, and even left my memory card out while using the phone for a couple days. I still have the same problem occurring... and at this point I don't know what else to do! Now I'm having to use my Pearl 8100 cause I can't use a phone that shuts itself off everytime I'm on a call or just texting.
    SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
    </quote>

I would like to put in my two cents.
    I have an 8330 and I was experiencing about the same kind of trouble with it, only mine would only do if I tapped the bottom right side of it on something. don't know if this happens to any of you guys, but all I needed to do was put a bit of folded up paper inbetween the side of that battery and the side of the casing.
    simple fix probably to simple for all of your problems but give it a try.
    Last edited by luciferseamus; 08-28-08 at 10:31 AM.
    08-27-08 06:33 PM
    Hey everyone.

I believe this are faulty units., nothing to do with OS or bad batteries. because no matter how many fixes whe do on them the problem keeps bouncing back.

Is there a way to return this shinny crappy units to RIM which is the original fabricator?

I purchased mine through a 3rd party and devolution is out of the question.

Forgot to mention that mine lasted 2 weeks of fine use only..
    10-16-08 05:57 PM
    Well, from what I'm reading you all have service once it your Curve comes back on, well MINE is constantly shutting on/off. It partially restarts then off again none stop. It's like its stuck. The hour glass doesn't even appear. It's completely off for about 5 seconds, then it powers on, lights up, then WHAM! Off again. Thank goodness I have a back-up BB, but its the BB PEARL... feel my pain?
    10-20-08 08:18 PM
    What a problem...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my curve keeps on running.
    10-20-08 08:54 PM
    I had the same problem. My pearl would shut off and restart randomly.
    I pulled out the Media card, reinserted and it works fine now.
    10-28-08 12:47 PM
    It is so annoying. And only gets worse. This is ridiculous!
    10-28-08 05:46 PM
    mine did the samething last week....
    10-29-08 01:26 PM
    Actually, my first one did that right out of the box... so i thought it was just ONE faulty piece, and that i had very bad luck to have been shipped that one... i exchanged it for a brand new one though, since i have a 14 day period where i can return it.
    10-29-08 02:00 PM
    I don't know how long this curve will be alive. Its either on its last life, or I will smash it!!! Well I guess it will make a good YouTube video. LOL!

It is now happening very frequently. I wedged a toothpick above the battery so it was good and tight so the pins weren't showing. That has yet to help. It only stays running when plugged in. And only usually restarts with the charger plugged in.

Making calls, using the net. It doesn't matter. Black screen of death appears. Sometimes it won't even restart all the way with a battery pull then shuts off.
    My battery reads fine. Lots of juice.

Does anyones seem to be this bad??

I'm getting a little worried.....

T-Mobile only seems to care about the pearl flip.
    They need to get a real phone out quick or I'm jumping ship.
    If anyone has any ideas you can PM or PIN me
    THX
    11-01-08 07:13 PM
    I had that same prollem couple months ago and they send me new batter n fixed that prollem.... So now I upgraded to the new 4.5 that tmobile just came out with on the 28th and now my cam don't wanna work at all and my fone just shuts down n rebotts itself w/o no warning at all.... Now I needa try n fix that prollem

11-01-08 11:19 PM
    ugh I have a problem like this...

I recently bought one off someone who wanted one with GPS instead.
    It is from T-Mobile, and is unlocked so I can use it with Fido (which kind of sucks because I can not get many BB perks like Rogers users) anyhoo...
    So, when making calls..Red light at top appears, phone shuts off/on.
    Incoming calls..same thing.
    I get many voice mails right after someone calls.. as my phone shuts off and it goes right to voice mail.

I had tried to talk to the person I bought it off of for help, and they were just as confused... They have not been very helpful lately, and this problem is driving me insane. It was not happening for a couple weeks, than started to act up again.. I clear the logs, *alt + LGLGLGLG* or w/e.

I am not very smart with BB's, but it is on edge most of the time, but sometimes for whatever reason, will say GSM or GPRS?
    I also have a unlimited mobile internet option that came with a value pack, but I can not use it on my phone... but I can on my old LG chocolate. kind of confused about that as well.. ( so any help would be nice )

Also, I have a 2G media card.. it happened without it.
    The battery life seems ok.

I do not know what to do .. as I can not return it, so I suppose I am screwed right...? It says v4.2.2.180 (EDGE WiFI)
    Not sure if that means the operating system as I am a BB n00b.

Another frustrating thing is that I can not send pic msgs even though I have that in my bundle pack as well, I called Fido about it, to make sure it was there, and they said yes... I am so frustrated right now..

Any help would be good.. minus the whole wow way to buy a new phone off someone other than a store.

thanks!
    11-12-08 06:46 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD