Hello all,

This is my first posting on here, I've had an 8310 for the last month or so. It's great, absolutely love it... but...

It won't connect to my computer!

When I connect it with the USB cable, it comes up on the screen that new hardware has been found, installs software and then says it's working. But desktop manager can't find it.

In the device manager it shows RIM composite device but it has a ! beside it. It can't find any replacement drivers when it tries to search.

I've tried changing the power management of the USB root hubs, different cables, downloaded the latest version of desktop manager including the 8310 software. Nothing works!

It seems lots of people have had the same problem already on different websites but no solutions.

Any help?

Thanks!
    07-06-08 06:47 AM
    did you uninstall desktop manager before installing the new version?

did it ever work before?

what would you like to accomplish using desktop manager? load apps? update OS? etc?
    07-06-08 06:56 AM
    If you are using a windows xp pc, you need to download the "USB and Modems driver." It's separate from the Desktop Manager. You can get it from the same site as Desktop Manager. D/L and install it and you should be good to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-08 08:59 AM
    If you are using a windows xp pc, you need to download the "USB and Modems driver." It's separate from the Desktop Manager. You can get it from the same site as Desktop Manager. D/L and install it and you should be good to go.

uh, that driver is if you want to forgo desktop manager. desktop manager comes with the drivers preloaded for xp and vista.
    07-06-08 09:47 AM
    You do need the driver with XP. You don't with Vista.

07-06-08 09:51 AM
    try updating your usb drivers... i had the same problem with an ipod and that fixed it.
    07-06-08 09:51 AM
    You do need the driver with XP. You don't with Vista.

the driver is included with the desktop manager. it is not needed if you install desktop manager.

but if you want to insist, you should call RIM and inform them of your greater knowledge since they failed to mention it in their install instructions.

Livelink - Redirection
    07-06-08 10:01 AM
    Wow oakie, that sure was condescending for a newbie.

07-06-08 10:44 AM
    the driver is included with the desktop manager. it is not needed if you install desktop manager.

but if you want to insist, you should call RIM and inform them of your greater knowledge since they failed to mention it in their install instructions.

Livelink - Redirection
    Thank you for posting the link to the Desktop Manager documentation. I read it, and cannot find anything in it that contradicts my recommendation. Installing the USB & Modem drivers to solve problems with XP computers is conventional wisdom on the forums, as evidenced by this recent Stoner post: "The install CD has an additional set of USB drivers. If you are using a Windows XP, they have to be installed too. Windows Vista has the BlackBerry drivers in their files, usually no problems there. You can download the USB and Modem Driver set directly from BlackBerry."

I'm quoting the text because I haven't used linkback urls in wap before. If it works, here is the url:
    [Url=http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/usb-not-connecting-46749/[/url]

Conventional wisdom does not guarantee correctness, of course, and sometimes things change. I'm not trying to have a fight. Your post is now hours old. I could ignore it and it probably would not come up again. But the purpose of the forums is to educate and to learn. If the advice I gave is incorrect, I'd like to know so I can avoid repeating incorrect information. If my recommendation is right, that needs to be restated, too, so that the correct answer is in the forum. So, forum: What's the right answer?

07-06-08 05:45 PM
    Hi,

I'm trying the driver now, so will lt everyine know the results.

I have a feeling it will work.

Cheers, Gav.
    07-19-08 06:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD