I am a new Blackberry owner, and i have had my BB for about 2 weeks now. I have been clicking around this site for a while and have found alot of great info. Is there anyone who can give me the link and brief directions on updating my OS I currently have 4.2.2.170 which runs slow and it seems like the other OS are far greater. I would love a OS that has a video camera,youtube access and voice record that is not gonna make me upgrade or downgrade once i some how figure out how to install it.

Also are there any Apps you guys would recommend? I have found Itookthisonmyphone and thats about it. anything you guys have or know would be greatly appreciated. I want some cool themes and games if anyone knows any? I know how to load and delete apps from phone using desktop manager so yall dont have to waste any time telling me that i went and bought a 4 gb media card and i have all ready put sevreal videos and games. I am not completely "knowledgeless" so if yall could just give me some links and maybe minor instructions im sure i can figure it out...

Thanks!
    06-23-08 09:17 AM
    I'm on wap so not gonna post links, but go to general bb discussion and look at the sticky that says popular download links, there's a lot of good 3rd party app d/l's.. As far as the OS, d/l the OS you want, delete the vendor.xml file and run the apploader.. If you check the BB FAQ..it'll tell you how.. Or PM me and I'll help you out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 09:30 AM
    When you say delete the vendor.xml file is that on the phone? or the desktop manager I know the app loader is on the dektop manager. ANd if you dont mind me asking that vendor.xml file has to be delted before any updates can occur? would you recommend updating i know everything i read is "UPDATE AT OWN RISK" what are the odds my phone gets messed up...
    06-23-08 09:39 AM
    You will, of course need to download the latest OS!

Once you have downloaded and installed it on your PC, please do the following.

Delete the Vendor.xml file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

The Vendor.xml file is a file that prevents the IS being installed if the phone is the wrong model/carrier/OS version than is currently 'allowed' by your carrier on your phone. Deleting the file removes that annoying little restriction but does put you at risk of invalidating your warranty since you are now running and unsupported OS. The carrier is not a charity, right?

You should also download the current AT&T OS release 4.2.2.170 from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4 just in case.

Once you have installed both pieces of software (you will have to delete Vendor.xml for both OSs because either will stop the 4.5 installation), start Desktop Manager and DO A BACKUP and a SYNC before you do anything else. Once the Backup is complete. launch the Application Manager and the OS installation should start automatically.

The install is nerve wracking because there is a loooong period whilst you phone has a white screen and only an occasional rotating hourglass. Do not panic. This is a normal Blackberry character test. It will come back.

That's it really. If you want to go back to 4.2.2.170 all you have to do is to uninstall the 4.5.0.44 application from your PC via Control Panel.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-23-08 at 09:53 AM.
    06-23-08 09:47 AM
    This link should be helpfull to you after the deletion of the vendor.xml file.

How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

Welcome to CB!
    06-23-08 09:54 AM
    Where do I get the 4.5 OS version does anybody have a link for that? The carrier is not a charity. ive read horror stories with apps not opening once they installed new OS 4.5 version what are odds this happens. People say there BB messenger doesnt work anymore...Camera all messed up, etc....Thanks yall
    06-23-08 10:05 AM
    Check your PM....
    06-23-08 10:09 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Personally, I would advise leaving the OS upgrade until you have mastered the complexities of the device.

It is possible to make your device unusable during the process. We get quite a few eager new owners posting in a panic after they brick the device.

4.5 has gone official, but not with all carriers. I have it on good authority, there are still undocumented issues with 4.5 in the release package.

06-23-08 10:11 AM
    Is the only version of 4.5 OS out the german version....anybody tried this yet? I have only read bad things about it? What would yall suggest...really just want voice record, cideo camera, and youtube access.Thanks guys!
    06-23-08 10:14 AM
    The german version is the only official release of 4.5. There are actually later beta versions out but I would agree with Stoner and wait a while for a more stable official version.

Some applications are not yet compatible with 4.5 either which is another reason for waiting.
    06-23-08 10:24 AM
    What version would you reccommend upgrading to? should I upgrade I feel like my phone lacks alot of cool stuff and key programs that a bunch of co-workers have thanks guys. have any of yall upgraded to any of the new OS?
    06-23-08 10:28 AM
    What version would you reccommend upgrading to? should I upgrade I feel like my phone lacks alot of cool stuff and key programs that a bunch of co-workers have thanks guys. have any of yall upgraded to any of the new OS?
    considering your skill level, I would say 4.2.2.194 IMO... but if you want to upgrade to 4.5.0.44 just let me know and I'll walk you through it...
    06-23-08 10:31 AM
    I have AT&T is the OS 4.5 Official version support the Blackberry 8310 Curve with At&T? DO yall know? Anything yall would recommend, as far programs, apps, OS, etc... anything helps out greatly...I will continue readind around and seeing what i can find
    06-23-08 10:31 AM
    I have AT&T is the OS 4.5 Official version support the Blackberry 8310 Curve with At&T? DO yall know? Anything yall would recommend, as far programs, apps, OS, etc... anything helps out greatly...I will continue readind around and seeing what i can find
    Are you reading what everyone is saying? 4.5 for AT&T is not OFFICIALLY out yet. I have 4.5 on my 8310 curve and it was not easy to upgrade, there are a few minor bugs that i noticed, like memory leak, etc...But for someone like a "newbie" like yourself i highly suggest you wait for the official release of the OS from your carrier. As far as programs, apps, etc go use the search function on this site, there are TONS of threads that can help you out.
    06-23-08 10:44 AM
    Well, I have told you how to do the upgrade and HazySky (how was your holiday?) has given you another link.

Stoner has also given you some VERY GOOD ADVISE - wait until you have learned enough to ask good questions.
    06-23-08 10:44 AM
    Well, I have told you how to do the upgrade and HazySky (how was your holiday?) has given you another link.
    Hi Pete

I had a good holiday thanks, the day trip to St Moritz was great, stunning, stunning place but the hairpin bends we had to navigate to get up there were a bit scary!!
    06-23-08 10:53 AM
    Glad you enjoyed it. I saw your pic over on Social, very nice.
    06-23-08 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD