I recently became the owner of a used BB Curve 8310 from eBay. When I went through Setup Wizard, and tried creating a new e-mail address, it told me there was already an account linked with the device. According to AT&T Cust. Svce., the previous owner is apparently still linked with the account, and they cannot change that.

Since i got the 'Berry from eBay, and the seller was a re-seller (likely a pawn shop or some such), there is no easy way to get a hold of the previous owner... is there ANY way at all to create a new email address given the situation, or am I stuck without that feature? Since the 'Berry isn't for work/supplied by work, I am not on Enterprise, nor can I ask my place of work's tech people for help. I am new to the 'Berry scene, and new to the forums as well... please be gentle!
    04-24-09 03:44 PM
    They lied, AT&T can remove the PIN from the previous email accounts so you can set up your email accts. Try calling CS again, maybe you will get someone more helpful.
    04-24-09 03:48 PM
    I have sprint and they don't do nothing to let me create a new account. I have the same problem
    05-03-09 05:18 PM
    They lied, AT&T can remove the PIN from the previous email accounts so you can set up your email accts. Try calling CS again, maybe you will get someone more helpful.
    Well, they wont release it if the account is in bad standing.
    05-03-09 05:21 PM
    yeah but the phone I activated with my account
    05-03-09 05:31 PM
    You can still activiate it sure, but IF the account was in bad standing, they wont release it.

Id maybe call back and see if they cant release it, otherwise your gonna have to try your best to contact the previous owner.. do you know who the carrier was on that?
    05-03-09 05:36 PM
    The phone is labeled AT&T and is NOT unlocked, so the previous owner must've also been an AT&T/Cingular user.

So, what you're saying is that if the previous owner owed AT&T money or the like, that PIN will stay connected to them until they pay up, and I can't do anything about that?

If so, that sucks for me, then, and a lesson learned about buying 'Berries on eBay...

If the person owes AT&T money, but is no longer an AT&T customer, might they release it then? Is there anything I can do that'll get the PIN released so I can use the full functionality of my 'Berry?
    05-04-09 10:12 AM
    Cant you return it to the seller on ebay? They obviously didnt get the phone cleared when they got it off the original owner. Isnt that their responsibility as sellers? I dont know much about ebaying but it just seems like they should take it back. Good luck anyway!
    05-04-09 06:10 PM
    Not to necro-post my own thread, but I just wanted to mention to all who tried to help that I thank you, and after I severed my 'Berry from the family plan I was on starting 1/3/10, I started getting the previous owner's emails to the Berry.

After a week of trying to get in touch with them, with no action on their part (i was able to figure out what they had done was move their SIM card to their new iPhone w/o releasing the PIN, since they used the 'Berry for some personal & mainly business stuff & probably hadn't been the one to set it up, therefore not knowing it had to be released), I called AT&T and got escalated to BlackBerry support, where after 30 minutes on the phone that night with a very helpful agent,they were able to release the PIN & let me set it up with my own email... YAY!

Of, course, this is all a moot point, since I have since graduated to a Bold 9700, but i just wanted to say, again, "thank you all!"

You can lock the thread now.
    01-29-10 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD