Well yesterday, my 2 YO son brings me my 8310 - soaking wet. There was water dripping out of it, the screen was of course black and had water sloshing around inside and the red LED was lit up constantly. I don't know how long the BB was used as a bathtoy, but most certainly longer than I wanted it to be.

I freaked out then removed the battery, SIM and MicroSD cards. I then immediately went to YouTube looking for a way to take this thing apart.
    I found the video immediately and proceded to take my precious apart. I didn't have a T-5 or T-6 Torx, so I made do with a 1.6x50 flat head screwdriver. Water continued to drip out as I took it apart.
    After I completely disassembled the unit, I lightly blew out the components on the mainboard with compressed air. There is a large metal "compartment" on the back of the board that has several holes in it - this is where the majority of the water blew out from. I would imagine that if one were to submerge the unit and NOT blow out the water from this compartment that the whole unit would be rendered useless.

Anyways, after getting everything blown dry as possible, I set all of the electronic parts in a ZipLock bag of rice and tissue, sealed it and set the whole thing on the windowsill for about 5 hours (it was an overcast day, otherwise I would have only done that for about 30 minutes).

After the rice treatment, I put the components on top of the AC register on the floor in a remote part of the home (the air is cold, but has very low moisture and since the home as been AC'd, there isn't much humidity in the air to condense on the cold metal parts when the AC turns off). After the AC but prior to reassembly, I wiped down the LCD screen and the inside of the cover with a microfiber cloth without any chemicals - just a quick fogging by breath.

Well, for now, everything works. The only thing is the the screen is slighltly mottled, but it's going away - there must still be a minute amount of moisture inside the LCD screen itself.

While the reassembly went well, it's not PERFECT, the main buttons are ever so slightly recessed, but not to interfere with operation, just a slight change in the tactile feel.

Oh well, I'm just glad that even after a bath, it still works.
    08-26-08 09:29 AM
    WOW!!!! I can't even believe it worked at all. Time to find a higher place to store the phone.
    08-26-08 09:36 AM
    And I think a stern talking-to with your kids is in order...
    08-26-08 09:48 AM
    Holy crap, lucky you man. Glad your BB is still working.
    08-26-08 10:15 AM
    You are one seriously lucky guy. Glad you were able
    to salvage it.
    08-26-08 10:17 AM
    Hope your luck holds out!
    Attachment 4031
    Might want to try this as well;

Our Father, which art is heaven
    hallowed be thy name
    thy Betas come
    thy installation be done, in XP as it is in Vista
    give us this day our daily battery pull
    and forgive us our memory leak, as we forgive our leaking apps
    and lead us not to the iPhone
    but deliver us from other smartphones
    For thine is the Berry, the Beta and the Best, for ever and ever. Amen
    Last edited by pltaylor; 08-26-08 at 10:25 AM.
    08-26-08 10:20 AM
    You are one seriously lucky guy. Glad you were able
    to salvage it.
    Yeah seriously luckly I have seen them ruined from a small amount of water.
    08-26-08 10:22 AM
    HOLY COW!!

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this... but glad that you could exercise enough patience to take the thing apart and save it! Kudos to you!!
    08-26-08 10:23 AM
    WOW!!!! I can't even believe it worked at all. Time to find a higher place to store the phone.

Little Miss A. would not dare to do this. Then she know she can't play the game with mommy!! lol

Glad to see you phone is back in shape. Bag of rice is the way to go !!
    08-26-08 10:36 AM
    Good job and Im glad it all worked out. you were most likely able to save your berry because you acted so quickly....
    08-26-08 10:44 AM
    Note to self. Find how-to on YouTube, bookmark it and study it religiously. Buy rice, T5 and T6 torx, compressed air canister. Reconsider having kids.

Glad it worked out.
    08-26-08 10:48 AM
    wow!!!! i cant believe it still works!!!! thats awesome!
    08-26-08 10:51 AM
    Sounds like the bb gods graced you . yea i would consider storing your phone outta reach somehow somewhere
    08-26-08 10:58 AM
    play the lotto today.. thats crazy
    08-26-08 11:01 AM
    Oh man thats wild!!
    I'm so glad you were able to save your BB!!
    08-26-08 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD